PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Valley investor wants to split California into six states

aGameOfThrones
12-22-2013, 09:58 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-52b4f8cb/turbine/la-fi-tn-silicon-valley-investor-wants-to-spli-001/600

SAN FRANCISCO -- Technology investor Tim Draper is trying to drum up support to split California into six states, one of them being Silicon Valley.

His argument for redrawing the California map: The state is underrepresented in Washington. He's looking to get an initiative on the California ballot.

He told TechCrunch: “It is about time California was properly represented with senators in Washington. Now our number of senators per person will be about average.”

In October at Y Combinator Startup School, one tech entrepreneur called for Silicon Valley to secede from the United States altogether.

Balaji Srinivasan, co-founder of San Francisco–based genetics company Counsyl, gave a talk to aspiring entrepreneurs about "Silicon Valley's ultimate exit," which outlined his vision of a tech world free of the constraints of government.

"We need to build opt-in society, outside the U.S., run by technology," Srinivasan said.

This techno-utopian vision of a world insulated from big-government intrusion is not new to Silicon Valley, which has some deep libertarian roots.

Google CEO Larry Page, during his Google I/O keynote in May, spoke of his desire to set aside a place in the world where technological experimentation can be conducted unfettered by regulation. ("There are many exciting things you could do that are illegal or not allowed by regulation," Page said.)

Investor Peter Thiel has championed the “seasteader” movement, which would create floating societies off the coast of California just beyond the clutches of the U.S. government.

And the Blueseed project wants to put foreign-born workers on a cruise ship off the coast of Northern California in international waters to evade immigration laws.

Draper recently said he would not participate in his investment firm's next fund, so he has some time on his hands to devote to this new six-state project. He's holding a news conference Monday.

Under his proposal, the northernmost new state would be called Jefferson and would encompass these counties: Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Plumas, Siskiyou, Shasta, Tehama and Trinity.

Just south of that, Northern California state would encompass these counties: Amador, El Dorado, Marin, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sierra, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba.

The state called Central California would be the only one to have no coastline, and it would encompass Alpine, Calaveras, Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare and Tuolumne counties.

Silicon Valley state would encompass these counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz.

The state named West California would encompass these counties: Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.

And finally, South California state would encompass Imperial, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-silicon-valley-tim-draper-split-california-20131221,0,255720.story#ixzz2oGaZAXvu

Keith and stuff
12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Makes sense. The elites want to help themselves and screw over every one else. Sign me up! It would greatly damage the GOP in future Senate and Presidential races but if it helps some elite liberals in Silicon Valley, let's all drop everything and get behind it! After all, it will take a national effort with millions of supports to make this happen. I'm gonna talk to the admins about changing the purpose of this Forum too!

Ender
12-22-2013, 11:55 PM
There have been many who have wanted the State of Jefferson for a long time. This would also encompass parts of So Oregon, as well as the northern part of Cali.

anaconda
12-23-2013, 02:31 AM
It would greatly damage the GOP in future Senate and Presidential races but if it helps some elite liberals in Silicon Valley, let's all drop everything and get behind it!

Some interesting info here:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_quick.asp?i=1007

WM_in_MO
12-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Reminds me of this:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/089/3/f/Welcome_to_Rapture_Poster_by_OrderOfPhoenix.jpg

oyarde
12-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Makes sense. The elites want to help themselves and screw over every one else. Sign me up! It would greatly damage the GOP in future Senate and Presidential races but if it helps some elite liberals in Silicon Valley, let's all drop everything and get behind it! After all, it will take a national effort with millions of supports to make this happen. I'm gonna talk to the admins about changing the purpose of this Forum too!

Depends where you slice the pie . If you slice the coast off ( North/South ) you can lump all the commies together. In the end though it is all meaningless , the house's ( Dem majority) will never approve . It would cost them tax revenue .If there is one thing they cannot get off the tit of , that is it .......

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
n October at Y Combinator Startup School, one tech entrepreneur called for Silicon Valley to secede from the United States altogether.

Balaji Srinivasan, co-founder of San Francisco–based genetics company Counsyl, gave a talk to aspiring entrepreneurs about "Silicon Valley's ultimate exit," which outlined his vision of a tech world free of the constraints of government.

"We need to build opt-in society, outside the U.S., run by technology," Srinivasan said.

This techno-utopian vision of a world insulated from big-government intrusion is not new to Silicon Valley, which has some deep libertarian roots.

Anyone who thinks that a separate California would be more libertarian should call me. I have a bridge or two to sell them.

"Silicon Valley" would not be the eventual name of the new nation. It would be "New Asia". There is Balkanization in California's future, no doubt about that.

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2013, 10:50 AM
California is far too big to be one State. But resources and money will prevent dividing it up in the near future. Water is a major issue. SoCal already takes a huge amount of water from NorCal. They are too dependent.

Anti Federalist
12-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Joy.

Trade one set of masters for another.

No thanks there, Raj.

oyarde
12-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Joy.

No thanks there, Raj.

Yeah I noticed that , has an ominous sound to it ..... I feel no real need for people to be able to find me all of the time .....

Neil Desmond
12-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Joy.

No thanks there, Raj.

I find it amusing when people type things like this into an online forum. :cool:

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Yeah I noticed that , has an ominous sound to it ..... I feel no real need for people to be able to find me all of the time .....

We are Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

oyarde
12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
We are Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

LOL , I can never be assimilated , that was clear by the third grade . My poor parents :)

Keith and stuff
12-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Some interesting info here:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_quick.asp?i=1007

So perhaps 2 Republican leaning states and 4 Democratic leaning states. So perhaps 8-9 Democratic Senators and 3-4 Republican Senators. That would give the Democrats an additional lead of 4-6 more Senators nationwide than Republican Senators. Though, unless the GOP changed policies pretty hard, that lead might grow to 6-8 within a decade or so. That is, unless after the 6 new states were formed, there was massive population shift.

So yeah, the plan would help the liberal elite in SV the most, but it would also help Democrats nationally. No way the Republican House would approve something like this. It's just fantasy. It's more likely that states will leave the country, IMO.

anaconda
12-24-2013, 08:14 PM
So perhaps 2 Republican leaning states and 4 Democratic leaning states. So perhaps 8-9 Democratic Senators and 3-4 Republican Senators. That would give the Democrats an additional lead of 4-6 more Senators nationwide than Republican Senators. Though, unless the GOP changed policies pretty hard, that lead might grow to 6-8 within a decade or so. That is, unless after the 6 new states were formed, there was massive population shift.

So yeah, the plan would help the liberal elite in SV the most, but it would also help Democrats nationally. No way the Republican House would approve something like this. It's just fantasy. It's more likely that states will leave the country, IMO.

I noticed in the OP map that most of the extremely conservative areas of California managed to get stuck with some populated liberal area. Maybe they should let one of us draw the boundaries for the six new states. :D

anaconda
12-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Anyone who thinks that a separate California would be more libertarian should call me. I have a bridge or two to sell them.

In a parallel universe somewhere San Francisco is the most libertarian city on the planet. Seems like it should be but it's not. It should be like that bar in the first Star Wars movie.

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesauce/files/2011/05/20091126_star_wars_bar_scene_w.jpg

TaftFan
12-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, eventually it will all be taken over Mexican immigrants who support big government. That means 10 more Democratic Senators.

MRK
12-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Red might have a problem with not having sea access.

anaconda
12-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Red might have a problem with not having sea access.

Orange County and north San Diego will provide us with safe passage to the high seas.

gwax23
12-24-2013, 10:28 PM
If states rights werent completely dead in this country Id support dividing california, but even then not 6 new states. Even as is, If the division is done right (maybe 3-4 states?) it could be a net positive with the republicans gaining some additional seats, further new state governments with clean slates and not all the current california baggage might be a good thing.

What we really need to be pushing is more decentralization, delegating more to the states, in that way they can compete with one another in a "race towards the bottom" or "competitive governance" which would lead to smaller governments, what the founders intended.

anaconda
12-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Northern CA rocks.

http://greatbrumby.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/15_northern_california.jpg