PDA

View Full Version : You'll Never Guess Where This FBI Agent Left a Secret Interrogation Manual

CaseyJones
12-20-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/12/fbi-copyrighted-interrogation-manual-unredacted-secrets

In a lapse that national security experts call baffling, a high-ranking FBI agent filed a sensitive internal manual detailing the bureau's secret interrogation procedures with the Library of Congress, where anyone with a library card can read it.
The version of the interrogation manual the agent deposited with the copyright office is dated August 18, 2008, but it wasn't filed until January 2010. The redacted version released to the ACLU is dated February 23, 2011.

Because the two versions are similar, a side-by-side comparison allows a reader to deduce what was redacted in the later version. The copyright office does not allow readers to take pictures or notes, but during a brief inspection, a few redactions stood out.

more at link

angelatc
12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
The Library of Congress should be taken out to the nearest oak tree.

angelatc
12-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Another section, blacked out in the version provided to the ACLU, encourages FBI agents to stage a "date-stamped full-body picture" of a detainee, complete with a bottle of water, for use in refuting abuse allegations at trial. ..

Suzanimal
12-20-2013, 12:37 PM
"The whole thing is a comedy of errors," he adds. "It sounds like gross incompetence and ignorance."

That pretty much describes the whole government.

tod evans
12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
But, but...........Think of all the children they're protecting.:rolleyes:

Matt Collins
12-20-2013, 01:00 PM
It's my understanding that the FBI doesn't actually record interrogations. But in court they simply rely on the notes from the agents who were present.

If the defendant has an attorney, a common practice is to demand to record any questioning. The FBI prohibits it, so therefore they won't question the suspect.

At least that's what I read either at Cato, or IJ, or Lew Rockwell, or somewhere like that.

Philhelm
12-20-2013, 01:01 PM
The FBI agent should be swinging from an oak tree.

angelatc
12-20-2013, 01:37 PM
That pretty much describes the whole government.

Yeah. These are the same people who are allegedly able to orchestrate incredibly complex conspiracies?

mczerone
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah. These are the same people who are allegedly able to orchestrate incredibly complex conspiracies?

But having techniques to lie about detainees by fabricating info ISN'T a conspiracy?

Luciconsort
12-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Special Agent Barney Fife, at your service.

Grubb556
12-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Good for him for making government docs available in the Library of Congress.

evilfunnystuff
12-20-2013, 02:35 PM

No...

... but there are powerful people who will use folks like this agent that have more power/resources than brains.

When using them they will keep them entirely compartmentalized never letting them know enough to catch on, then if they think maybe this person(s) is to smart for their own good or possibly picked up on something, they just "Seal Team Six 'em"

You can argue what conspiracies may or may not transpire, but to deny any is very foolish.

Occam's Banana
12-20-2013, 04:01 PM
It's my understanding that the FBI doesn't actually record interrogations. But in court they simply rely on the notes from the agents who were present.

If the defendant has an attorney, a common practice is to demand to record any questioning. The FBI prohibits it, so therefore they won't question the suspect.

At least that's what I read either at Cato, or IJ, or Lew Rockwell, or somewhere like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZrdyCWu7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMZrdyCWu7M

hated
12-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Lew Rockwell did do an interview with Harvey Silverglate on the subject. Very good.
Listen Here ("http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/harvey-silverglate-on-legal-terror/')

Occam's Banana
12-20-2013, 04:15 PM
You can argue what conspiracies may or may not transpire, but to deny any is very foolish.

To be fair, Angela did not deny that "any" consipiracies transpire. She specifically referred to "incredibly complex" consipiracies.

The matter is further complicated by considerations of what, exactly, is being denoted by words like "orchestrate" or "transpire."
Has a conspiracy ("incredibly complex" or otherwise) "transpired" or been "orchestrated" if it is plotted but never executed?
If it is executed (and the gross material objective accomplished), is it a "success" or a "failure" if people suspect something?
Are descriptors like "comptent" or "incompetent" to be applied to achievement of the objective - or achievement of total secrecy? Both? Neither?

:confused:

Questions like this is why arguments over conspiracies (especially in the competence/incompetence dimension) are so fruitlessly pointless.
No one on either side ever seems to clearly & precisely define exactly what is meant by the terms they use.

Occam's Banana
12-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Lew Rockwell did do an interview with Harvey Silverglate on the subject. Very good.
Listen Here (http://"http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/harvey-silverglate-on-legal-terror/')

Side note: He's the same guy in the video I posted.

youngbuck
12-20-2013, 04:50 PM
So did this manual ever end up available for download on the internet?

DamianTV
12-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Do not talk to Cops, or FBI.

If anyone cares to find it, there is a video where it is explained where cops are trained to take everything that a person says and twist it out of context to the point where innocent statements can be used in court to condemn them.

Problem is, it isnt limited to just Cops or FBI. With the Total Surveillance of the NSA and FBI, we might just have to change the statement to "Do not talk, period". Anything and everything a person says or does can be twisted and used to condemn them. And this is definitely not the change nor solution that is at the heart of a free society.

hated
12-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Side note: He's the same guy in the video I posted.

Yeah, I noticed that. He does good work.