PDA

View Full Version : Senate rushes approval late last night 84-15

radiofriendly
12-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Late last night, the Senate voted to reauthorize the National Defense Authorization Act and approved $607 billion in military spending. Only twelve Republicans and a measly three Democrats opposed the bill. Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), and potential 2016 hopefuls Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) all voted “Nay.”

Senator Ted Cruz released the following statement:

Today I voted against the National Defense Authorization Act. I am deeply concerned that Congress still has not prohibited President Obama’s ability to indefinitely detain U.S. citizens arrested on American soil without trial or due process.

The Constitution does not allow President Obama, or any President, to apprehend an American citizen, arrested on U.S. soil, and detain these citizens indefinitely without a trial. When I ran for office, I promised the people of Texas I would oppose any National Defense Authorization Act that did not explicitly prohibit the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. Although this legislation does contain several positive provisions that I support, it does not ensure our most basic rights as American citizens are protected.

ROLL CALL: http://iroots.org/2013/12/20/senate-rushes-through-ndaa-approval-late-last-night/

Suzanimal
12-20-2013, 08:47 AM
84 yeas, we're gonna need alotta rope.

http://i.imgur.com/TSrDbcC.jpg

T.hill
12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I swear Risch and Crapo have voted with Rand every single time this year. Other than Lee and Cruz I think they have voted with Rand the most this year.

T.hill
12-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Barrasso and Enzi have a tendency to vote together with Rand as well.

Ender
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I swear Risch and Crapo have voted with Rand every single time this year. Other than Lee and Cruz I think they have voted with Rand the most this year.

Interesting that Lee never gets the headlines with Rand and Cruz, even though he does a lot of the silent background work for their causes. Wondering if he is going to take Ron's place as "He Who Must Not Be named."

Brian4Liberty
12-20-2013, 02:24 PM
John Cornyn is feeling the heat from Steve Stockman. :D

Tywysog Cymru
12-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Liz Cheney will certainly attack Enzi for his vote.

Christian Liberty
12-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Interesting that Lee never gets the headlines with Rand and Cruz, even though he does a lot of the silent background work for their causes. Wondering if he is going to take Ron's place as "He Who Must Not Be named."

Ron Paul would never have said that Snowden's "lawbreaking" was a "problem."

Comparing Mike Lee to Ron Paul, especially here, is offensive.

Mike Lee does some good things, a lot of good things, but there is no comparison to Ron.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cruz's vote, didn't expect him to do that.

Ender
12-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Ron Paul would never have said that Snowden's "lawbreaking" was a "problem."

Comparing Mike Lee to Ron Paul, especially here, is offensive.

Mike Lee does some good things, a lot of good things, but there is no comparison to Ron.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cruz's vote, didn't expect him to do that.

Never compared him to RP- only how the press handles him- don't ass-ume.

dillo
12-20-2013, 03:56 PM
At least both parties can compromise and agree on something !!!!

rich34
12-20-2013, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=radiofriendly;5348539]Late last night, the Senate voted to reauthorize the National Defense Authorization Act and approved $607 billion in military spending. Only twelve Republicans and a measly three Democrats opposed the bill. Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), and potential 2016 hopefuls Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) all voted “Nay.”

Senator Ted Cruz released the following statement:

ROLL CALL: [url]http://iroots.org/2013/12/20/senate-rushes-through-ndaa-approval-late-last-night/[/ur
l]quote]

Bullshit on Cruz! If a republican were president or he himself he'd be all in on this shit big time arguing the typical republican talking points. Once again following Rand's every move to divide his support. This man is all bout himself according to polls before the shutdown the republican was way ahead but after Canadian Ted's fiasco he costed the republican governor the race and he'll have no problem doing the same for Rand. I can't stand this snake. If he were truly all about liberty and doing what's right he'd be backing Rand for president. Yet he thinks in his egotistical mind he could win, yet he has to know Rand is much better suited in a general election matchup, I can't stand that snake and that's being nice.

compromise
12-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Could this be the return of the good Jeff Flake we know and love? Or just a small temporary lapse back to his old ways? Ditto with Coburn.

The Wyoming and Idaho guys seem to be strong on civil liberties, they've voted well on this in the past too. Enzi will always be a far better Senator than Cheney ever will be.

I'm glad that Sessions is moving in our direction on these issues too, he's already great on most issues, but this demonstrates he's a friend of the liberty movement. I'd suggest adding him as a 3 star to the liberty candidates list.

Corker is a surprise. I've always taken him for an establishment guy on most things. Maybe he's worried about re-election, but there's still a while to go until that.

I'm a little irritated Tim Scott hasn't properly been educated about the horrors of the NDAA. Someone should bring this up at his next townhall.

LibForestPaul
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM

http://i.imgur.com/TSrDbcC.jpg
I want this as a shirt.

Brett85
12-21-2013, 02:33 PM

This NDAA didn't actually contain any indefinite detention provisions. Cruz just voted against it because it didn't explicitly repeal the indefinite detention provisions from the 2012 NDAA. But I think it's a stretch to say that anyone who votes for any future NDAA is voting in favor of indefinite detention.

Having said that, I still think that voting "no" on this is the correct vote. The 80 billion for the 13 year old war in Afghanistan is a good enough reason on it's own to vote against it.