PDA

View Full Version : After sailing the domain name seas, Pirate Bay returns to Sweden

tangent4ronpaul
12-20-2013, 03:44 AM
First article is now, second is old.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/after-sailing-the-domain-name-seas-pirate-bay-returns-to-sweden/

After nearly two weeks of bouncing its domain name around the globe, The Pirate Bay has returned to its home port. The notorious BitTorrent site originally went from .se to .sx (Sint Maarten), but it didn't stop there—in recent days, it has shifted from .ac (Ascension Island) to .pe (Peru) to .gy (Guyana). Now, as of Thursday, it's back to the comforts of .se (Sweden). Neither The Pirate Bay blog nor its Twitter feed offered any explanation.

The move to .sx originally took place back in April 2013 when a Swedish prosecutor filed a motion to seize thepiratebay.se, piratebay.se, and thepiratebay.is. The registrar, the Internet Infrastructure Foundation, has said previously that it would only do so after being served by a Swedish court.
(cont)

Pirate Bay co-founder: “I can sit here and jerk off for 5 years. And I will.”
New film examines infamous BitTorrent site's people, evolution, and trial.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/pirate-bay-co-founder-i-can-sit-here-and-jerk-off-for-5-years-and-i-will/

Say what you will about The Pirate Bay: if nothing else, its founders are resilient, defiant, and clever. Two out of its three co-founders have yet to be brought to justice. Since being convicted of aiding copyright infringement, none of them have paid a single cent of the multi-million dollar fine ordered by a Swedish court in 2009, and all seem quite resolute on maintaining that position. (Still, each of the three claim to no longer have any involvement in the site.)

There’s not much new information about the founders in Simon Klose’s new film TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard, which debuted Friday at the Berlinale Film Festival in the German capital and is available freely online under a Creative Commons license. The non-narrated, largely Swedish-language film profiles the three co-founders during their prosecution by the Swedish government and doesn’t address—other than through filmed court testimony—the fourth co-defendant, businessman Carl Lundström. (Lundström did serve four months in Sweden under house arrest, but he has since returned to living in Switzerland. He also declined to be profiled for the film.)

In the closing minutes of the film (shot in November 26, 2010, on the day the first appeals decision was to be announced), Neij looks straight in the camera while taking a leisurely family lunch aboard a boat in Laos with co-founder Peter Sunde at his side. Neij flatly says: “I can serve a prison sentence. But why do it if I don’t have to?”

Later that day, just moments after the two of them find out that they’ve lost their appeal, Neij adds: “The statute of limitations is five years. They can’t issue an international warrant of arrest. I can sit here and jerk off for five years. And I will.”

The film also reminds us that Neij is wanted by Interpol, although his name does not turn up in Interpol’s online database. Meanwhile, Sunde remains a digital nomad, traveling seemingly freely about Europe and the rest of the world. He’s even answering a Reddit AMA on Saturday.
(cont)

TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard (1h 22m)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOKXCEwo_8

-t

jbauer
12-20-2013, 07:25 AM
What's torrents?

jbauer
12-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Also thought thepiratebay existed in the cloud on a bunch of encrypted servers.