PDA

View Full Version : Woman sues feds for invasive search

tod evans
12-19-2013, 03:10 PM
From Drudge;

Lawsuit: Woman Faced Illegal Body Cavity Search, Observed Bowel Movement

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/12/18/lawsuit-woman-faced-illegal-body-cavity-search-observed-bowel-movement/

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Federal agents wrongfully strip-searched a New Mexico woman at the El Paso border crossing, then took her to a hospital where she was forced to undergo illegal body cavity probes in an attempt to find drugs, according to a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in El Paso said the unnamed 54-year-old U.S. citizen was “brutally” searched by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents in December 2012 after being selected for additional random screening at the Cordova Bridge in El Paso when a drug sniffing dog jumped on her. The woman was returning from a visit to a recently deported family friend in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico, the lawsuit said.
Agents quickly stripped searched her and did cavity searches but found no evidence of drugs, court documents said. But the woman was transported in handcuffs to the University Medical Center of El Paso, the lawsuit said, where doctors subjected her to an observed bowel movement, a CT scan and other exams without a warrant.
Roger Maier, a spokesman for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said the agency doesn’t comment on pending litigation. “We do not tolerate corruption or abuse within our ranks, and we fully cooperate with any criminal or administrative investigations of alleged misconduct by any of our personnel, on or off-duty,” Maier said.
According to the agency’s website, CBP officers are expected to “conduct their duties in a professional manner and to treat each traveler with dignity and respect.” The website says agents “use diverse factors to refer individuals for targeted examinations.”
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico and Texas said no drugs were found on the woman despite the intrusive searches.
“After enduring approximately six hours of demeaning and highly invasive searches, (the woman) was released without any charge,” the lawsuit said.
However, her attorney said she was charged $5,000 by the hospital.
“What is truly frightening about this incident is that it could have happened to anyone,” said ACLU-NM Legal Director Laura Schauer Ives. “The failed drug war and militarized border region have created an environment in which law enforcement officials increasingly inflict extreme and illegal searches on innocent Americans.”
Named in the lawsuit were the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the University Medical Center of El Paso, and various agents allegedly involved in the searches.
“Hospital policy is to obtain consent from all patients who receive medical services at UMC,” Margaret Althoff-Olivas, a spokeswoman for University Medical Center of El Paso told the AP in a statement. “Because this case involves litigation, UMC will not be commenting further.”
The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount in compensatory and punitive damages.

Philhelm
12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Other than the obvious answer that drug use is not a crime, why are law enforcement agents so gungho about drugs? Seriously, if I were a cop and knew that someone was hiding drugs up his asshole, I'd say, "Fuck it! You win!"

tod evans
12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
It's all about money.

Without the WOD half the government would be out of work...And all the leeches who support their endeavors too.

Suzanimal
12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Other than the obvious answer that drug use is not a crime, why are law enforcement agents so gungho about drugs? Seriously, if I were a cop and knew that someone was hiding drugs up his asshole, I'd say, "Fuck it! You win!"

LOL! :D

Occam's Banana
12-19-2013, 04:23 PM
[...] she was charged $5,000 by the hospital. [...] Named in the lawsuit were the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the University Medical Center of El Paso, and various agents allegedly involved in the searches.

GOOD!! I hope the hospital is made to pay out the ass for this (pun most definitely intended).

That cops pull this shit is bad enough (and again, pun most definitely intended).
That doctors willingly assist them is even worse. ("First, do no harm ..." - yeah, right! :rolleyes:)
That doctors then charge the victim for the "service" is utterly depraved & despicable ...

aGameOfThrones
12-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Roger Maier, a spokesman for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said the agency doesn’t comment on pending litigation. “We do not tolerate corruption or abuse within our ranks, and we fully cooperate with any criminal or administrative investigations of alleged misconduct by any of our personnel, on or off-duty,” Maier said.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Barry-Yes.gif

Philhelm
12-19-2013, 05:23 PM
GOOD!! I hope the hospital is made to pay out the ass for this (pun most definitely intended).

That cops pull this shit is bad enough (and again, pun most definitely intended).
That doctors willingly ass-ist them is even worse. ("First, do no harm ..." - yeah, right! :rolleyes:)
That doctors then charge the victim for the "servass" is utterly depraved & despicable ...

That is all.

pcosmar
12-19-2013, 05:39 PM

That doctors willingly assist them is even worse. ("First, do no harm ..." - yeah, right! :rolleyes:)
That doctors then charge the victim for the "service" is utterly depraved & despicable ...

http://williamsteaparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mengele.jpg

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Because you are a normal rational human being.

Not a power hungry lunatic.

phill4paul
12-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Because you are a normal rational human being.

Not a power hungry lunatic.

I don't want power. Just a modicum of solitude and insulation from petty tyrants.

I'm not gonna get either. What's a man to do?

Matt Collins
12-24-2013, 03:59 PM
I hope she sues and wins, the problem is that we're paying for it if she does :mad:

Pericles
12-24-2013, 07:10 PM

I suspect latent homosexual tendencies with an anal fixation.