PDA

View Full Version : John Bolton: Edward Snowden 'Ought To Swing From A Tall Oak Tree'

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Making a list, checking it twice...

John Bolton: Edward Snowden 'Ought To Swing From A Tall Oak Tree'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/john-bolton-edward-snowden_n_4461196.html

Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton spoke out against former government contractor Edward Snowden for leaking classified details on the National Security Agency's controversial surveillance practices, suggesting Snowden should "swing from a tall oak tree" as punishment.

Speaking on Fox News on Monday, Bolton, who served under former President George W. Bush, characterized Snowden's actions as treason, and urged against any public talk of amnesty.

"I must say absent some other important piece of information, it has to be one of the dumbest things that I've seen in a long time, to be speculating about it publicly, even if they are contemplating a deal with Snowden some kind of amnesty," Bolton said. "The last thing that people ought to be doing is speculating about it publicly. It will inevitably make it a political football and enhance Snowden's bargaining power."

Bolton continued, "My view is that Snowden committed treason, he ought to be convicted of that, and then he ought to swing from a tall oak tree. But even if you don’t believe that, if you’re gonna say anything publicly, that is closer to what you should be saying to enhance our own bargaining leverage."

Bolton's remarks came in response to NSA official Rick Ledgett's suggestion it is "worth having a conversation about" amnesty for Snowden.

"I would need assurances that the remainder of the data could be secured and my bar for those assurances would be very high," Ledgett told CBS News during an interview that aired on Sunday's "60 Minutes." "It would be more than just an assertion on his part."

NSA Director Keith Alexander, however, disagrees with Ledgett.

"I think people have to be held accountable for their actions," Alexander told CBS. "Because what we don't want is the next person to do the same thing, race off to Hong Kong and to Moscow with another set of data knowing they can strike the same deal."

Christian Liberty
12-19-2013, 12:48 AM
If John Bolton and Ed Snowden's names were switched around I'd agree;)

Bastiat's The Law
12-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Dan Carlin just did an excellent show on this.

Dan Carlin - Vampiric Memories Sat, 14 Dec 2013 (http://traffic.libsyn.com/dancarlin/cswdcc66.mp3)

I also created a Dan Carlin thread Here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419293-Dan-Carlin-Common-Sense-Podcast&highlight=dan+carlin)

Scrapmo
12-19-2013, 02:41 AM
Why are they pushing this amnesty for Snowden talk lately?

1. He gave up all his data to Greenwald already, he has no data left to "trade".
2. Im pretty sure he does not want to come back to the US.
3. If he did go full retard and came back to the US he would be taken care of by "a lone gunman, acting alone and definitely NOT part of the FBI/CIA/NSA"

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 02:42 AM

1. He gave up all his data to Greenwald already, he has no data left to "trade".
3. If he did go full retard and came back to the US he would be taken care of by "a lone gunman, acting alone and definitely NOT part of the FBI/CIA/NSA"

Why?

To make 3 easier.

Scrapmo
12-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Why?

To make 3 easier.

They have to know he wouldnt be that dumb to take the bait. Right?

Halo
12-19-2013, 02:52 AM
"I think people have to be held accountable for their actions," Alexander told CBS.
That might be the first time I've agreed with that sniveling, fear mongering, baby talking piece of dogshit. Snowden revealed to the world the depths of the NSA lawbreaking. He kept his oath while Alexander, Clapper and others proved to be the worst kind of traitors. They are the domestic enemies that were warned about. Some accountability for their actions would be great to see. Bolton is just another chickenhawk National Guard joiner while also being a CFR member and PNAC criminal.

Scrapmo
12-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Why?

To make 3 easier.

To Snowden:

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/its_a_trap.gif

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 03:07 AM
They have to know he wouldnt be that dumb to take the bait. Right?

You'd sure think so.

It might be to put pressure on Putin.

Although that's pretty dumb as well.

Say what you want about Putin, the man is tough as nails and seems to enjoy nothing more than telling the Western ruling class to go fuck its collective selves.

Scrapmo
12-19-2013, 03:20 AM
It might be to put pressure on Putin.

Last time I put pressure on Putin, I ruined a nice pair of slacks.

On a serious note Putin's comments and posturing towards the U.S. has always cracked me up.

Occam's Banana
12-19-2013, 03:36 AM
It's funny how both Bolton and Ledgett (the guy who suggested amnesty for Snowden in return for verifiable "assurances" from him) speak as if it was a foregone conclusion that Snowden would unconditionally leap at any opportunity to get back in the good graces of the US government. The only difference between them is that Bolton does not want to give Snowden the opportunity to do so, while Ledgett does.

Considering what Snowden did and why he did it (and what he's been willing to go through as a consequence), what makes Bolton or Ledgett (or any of that ilk) imagine that Snowden would even want "amnesty" (given the terms & conditions under which it would be offered)?

Here's what makes them imagine it: the presumptuous and uncomprehending hubris of people like Bolton and Ledgett, who are utterly incapable of grasping the integrity and dedication to principles that are required in order for people like Snowden to do what they do. They just don't know how to deal with it. Being unquestioningly faithful lackeys to the system, they can't imagine doing such things themselves - and so they can't comprehend why anyone else would do such things. Nor can they comprehend the possibility that anyone who did do such things might refuse a "gracious" offer of forgiveness and "amnesty" from the system Bolton and Ledgett serve ...

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Must spread some rep around...

It's funny how both Bolton and Ledgett (the guy who suggested amnesty for Snowden in return for verifiable "assurances" from him) speak as if it was a foregone conclusion that Snowden would unconditionally leap at any opportunity to get back in the good graces of the US government. The only difference between them is that Bolton does not want to give Snowden the opportunity to do so, while Ledgett does.

Considering what Snowden did and why he did it (and what he's been willing to go through as a consequence), what makes Bolton or Ledgett (or any of that ilk) imagine that Snowden would even want "amnesty" (given the terms & conditions under which it would be offered)?

Here's what makes them imagine it: the presumptuous and uncomprehending hubris of people like Bolton and Ledgett, who are utterly incapable of grasping the integrity and dedication to principles that are required in order for people like Snowden to do what they do. They just don't know how to deal with it. Being unquestioningly faithful lackeys to the system, they can't imagine doing such things themselves - and so they can't comprehend why anyone else would do such things. Nor can they comprehend the possibility that anyone who did do such things might refuse a "gracious" offer of forgiveness and "amnesty" from the system Bolton and Ledgett serve ...

jtap
12-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Must spread some rep around...

rep'd it!

compromise
12-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Bolton is a pretty sick guy. Hanging a guy for rightly exposing the Obama administration?

His choice of words seems to have racist connotations too.

Thor
12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Like this:

http://randomwire.com/wp-content/uploads/tree-swing.jpeg

:D

youngbuck
12-19-2013, 03:05 PM
If John Bolton and Ed Snowden's names were switched around I'd agree;) This.

Philhelm
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM

"I think people have to be held accountable for their actions," Alexander told CBS. "Because what we don't want is the next person to do the same thing, race off to Hong Kong and to Moscow with another set of data knowing they can strike the same deal."

He's got a point. I think people have to be held accountable for their actions too. Because what we don't want is the next NSA Director to do the same thing, violate the privacy of every United States citizen knowing they can do so without punishment.

Contumacious
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Making a list, checking it twice...

John Bolton: Edward Snowden 'Ought To Swing From A Tall Oak Tree'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/john-bolton-edward-snowden_n_4461196.html

Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton spoke out against former government contractor Edward Snowden for leaking classified details on the National Security Agency's controversial surveillance practices, suggesting Snowden should "swing from a tall oak tree" as punishment.

Speaking on Fox News on Monday, Bolton, who served under former President George W. Bush, characterized Snowden's actions as treason, and urged against any public talk of amnesty.

"I must say absent some other important piece of information, it has to be one of the dumbest things that I've seen in a long time, to be speculating about it publicly, even if they are contemplating a deal with Snowden some kind of amnesty," Bolton said. "The last thing that people ought to be doing is speculating about it publicly. It will inevitably make it a political football and enhance Snowden's bargaining power."

Bolton continued, "My view is that Snowden committed treason, he ought to be convicted of that, and then he ought to swing from a tall oak tree. But even if you don’t believe that, if you’re gonna say anything publicly, that is closer to what you should be saying to enhance our own bargaining leverage."

Bolton's remarks came in response to NSA official Rick Ledgett's suggestion it is "worth having a conversation about" amnesty for Snowden.

"I would need assurances that the remainder of the data could be secured and my bar for those assurances would be very high," Ledgett told CBS News during an interview that aired on Sunday's "60 Minutes." "It would be more than just an assertion on his part."

Contumacious and Edward Snowden: John Bolton 'Ought To Swing From A Tall Oak Tree'

Snew
12-19-2013, 03:38 PM
This guy is absolutely bloodthirsty.

Christian Liberty
12-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Contumacious and Edward Snowden: John Bolton 'Ought To Swing From A Tall Oak Tree'

Ed Snowden is probably too nice to make that statement.

I'll agree with you though.

Bastiat's The Law
12-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Bolton is insane. Listen to that Dan Carlin podcast guys, you'll enjoy it!

DamianTV
12-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Its bait. Here fishy fishy, I got a nice worm for you!

There are other indications that he does still have data left to trade. A lot. Snowden has also stated that in the event of his death, ALL of that information will be made public. Snowdens intent does not appear to be to place the US in danger as a result of the information that is released, but to expose the Unlawful Practices of Govt and its entities against its own people.

Occam's Banana
12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Dan Carlin - Vampiric Memories Sat, 14 Dec 2013 (http://traffic.libsyn.com/dancarlin/cswdcc66.mp3)

Bolton is insane. Listen to that Dan Carlin podcast guys, you'll enjoy it!
Firefox sez: "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."

DamianTV
12-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Firefox sez: "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."

That might be a Codec issue.

Two solutions might be the K-Lite Codec Pack (pretty much every Codec in existence) and the VLC Media Player, which also plays just about everything under the sun, but doesnt have all the Codecs in existence. They go hand in hand.

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

anaconda
12-19-2013, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQxOVDTr3o

Occam's Banana
12-19-2013, 07:37 PM
That might be a Codec issue.

Two solutions might be the K-Lite Codec Pack (pretty much every Codec in existence) and the VLC Media Player, which also plays just about everything under the sun, but doesnt have all the Codecs in existence. They go hand in hand.

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I've got VLC. It's my default media player (via XDG on Linux). And it appears that this is supposed to be an mp3 file, so the codec shouldn't be an issue.

Update: I just tried right-clicking the link in post #23 and "saving link as ..." That worked, and the downloaded file starts up in VLC just as it should. So maybe I've got a bad Firefox setting ...

Bastiat's The Law
12-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I've got VLC. It's my default media player (via XDG on Linux). And it appears that this is supposed to be an mp3 file, so the codec shouldn't be an issue.

Update: I just tried right-clicking the link in post #23 and "saving link as ..." That worked, and the downloaded file starts up in VLC just as it should. So maybe I've got a bad Firefox setting ...

I look forward to hearing your opinion about the podcast.

Neil Desmond
12-19-2013, 08:23 PM
No; nothing of the sort ought to happen to Mr. Snowden. I don't care what this scumbag says he thinks ought to be done to Mr. Snowden, although what he says is helpful for providing insight into the level of his madness as well as the mindest of others like him.

There's a day and night difference between what Mr. Snowden has done and what traitors like Benedict Arnold and the Rosenbergs did. Mr. Snowden didn't do what he did because he hates his country, he did it because he loves his country and hates what the government is doing (at least that's the impression I've had up to this point & see no reason to think otherwise, so far). This madman hopes people will forget or not think about this.

Bastiat's The Law
12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Guys like Bolton and Bill Kristol are our arch enemies.

HOLLYWOOD
12-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Is there a day the Fascist-Zionist-Neocon FOX NEWS doesn't have WACKO John Bolton in front of their cameras? He was on again this morning spewing the Iranian evil empire security threats.

I like this video and it shows what an asshole John Bolton truly is to Americans/Veterans. He's just a mouthpiece for the top of the pyramid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JDX0-Uo1E

RickyJ
12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Foot meet mouth. Bolton is an idiot. I am sure they want Snowden dead, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do kill him soon, but that doesn't change the fact that Bolton is an idiot.

Bastiat's The Law
12-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Foot meet mouth. Bolton is an idiot. I am sure they want Snowden dead, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do kill him soon, but that doesn't change the fact that Bolton is an idiot.

Very true.

Henry Rogue
12-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Dan Carlin just did an excellent show on this.

I also created a Dan Carlin thread Here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419293-Dan-Carlin-Common-Sense-Podcast&highlight=dan+carlin)I listened to it, pretty good. How does he feel about debt backed currency and central banks?

Bastiat's The Law
12-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I listened to it, pretty good. How does he feel about debt backed currency and central banks?

As far as I know he's not a fan, but hasn't connected all the dots yet. Baby steps...baby steps.

anaconda
12-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Bolton is no idiot. He's a fucked up psychopath that was probably treated very poorly by his parents and his fellow students in elementary school. But he spins his case in a way that is likely compelling for many Americans. Let's be careful with our pejoratives. Just because someone is a wretched piece of shit does not make them an idiot. It is not useful for us to apply incorrect labels on our foes. Bolton is not easily dismissible. He is a lingering remnant that we need to oppose with credible rhetoric. Bolton represents the forces that we need to straight up win the argument from.

cajuncocoa
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
. If he did go full retard and came back to the US he would be taken care of by "a lone gunman, acting alone and definitely NOT part of the FBI/CIA/NSA"
...or his brakes would fail.

Bastiat's The Law
12-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Bolton is no idiot. He's a fucked up psychopath that was probably treated very poorly by his parents and his fellow students in elementary school. But he spins his case in a way that is likely compelling for many Americans. Let's be careful with our pejoratives. Just because someone is a wretched piece of shit does not make them an idiot. It is not useful for us to apply incorrect labels on our foes. Bolton is not easily dismissible. He is a lingering remnant that we need to oppose with credible rhetoric. Bolton represents the forces that we need to straight up win the argument from.

Especially when he's given a forum to espouse his psychopathy via the media.

mczerone
12-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't understand John Bolton.

I mean, he's a ultimate-state lapdog that has no hope of ever moving up in the system. If he was a character in a good novel, he'd be the one to play traitor to the rebels or the invading enemy. But seeing as we have no rebels or enemy, he reads more like a 1 dimensional character from some pulp novel that's written to sell the sea monkey ads in the back.

He's too loud of a "true believer" to actually be a believable true-believer.

anaconda
12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't understand John Bolton.

I mean, he's a ultimate-state lapdog that has no hope of ever moving up in the system. If he was a character in a good novel, he'd be the one to play traitor to the rebels or the invading enemy. But seeing as we have no rebels or enemy, he reads more like a 1 dimensional character from some pulp novel that's written to sell the sea monkey ads in the back.

He's too loud of a "true believer" to actually be a believable true-believer.

I have to disagree a bit. I would say that Bolton has "moved up" in the system quite effectively. Bolton is a pathetic creep but a very slick operator. He almost has me believing his filthy rubbish when he spins his case. Frankly, I worry about myself when I hear this jackass talk. That creeps me out to the extent that I do indeed worry about his influence on others.

anaconda
12-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I believe we would be unwise to underestimate the likes of John Bolton or Bill Kristol. They and their unholy friends like Peter King need to to be confronted with the facts and defeated in a public forum. Name-calling here on the forums probably does little to sway public opinion. Even though we all hate these little fuckheads.

mczerone
12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I have to disagree a bit. I would say that Bolton has "moved up" in the system quite effectively. Bolton is a pathetic creep but a very slick operator. He almost has me believing his filthy rubbish when he spins his case. Frankly, I worry about myself when I hear this jackass talk. That creeps me out to the extent that I do indeed worry about his influence on others.

Yeah, he moved up. He was an ambassador of something, once. But he's not going "up" from here, so why is he still being placed on these propaganda shows, and why is he still spinning so hard for ultimate Federal power?

Does he really think he could be Sec. of State under the next GOP president? Does he really think there's going to be a "next GOP president?" Even if he was making $1M/yr from his mouthpiecing, it wouldn't seem worth it, and I don't think he could keep up the charade. Similarly with the most horrid blackmail.

I just can't figure him out.

anaconda
12-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, he moved up. He was an ambassador of something, once. But he's not going "up" from here, so why is he still being placed on these propaganda shows, and why is he still spinning so hard for ultimate Federal power?

Does he really think he could be Sec. of State under the next GOP president? Does he really think there's going to be a "next GOP president?" Even if he was making $1M/yr from his mouthpiecing, it wouldn't seem worth it, and I don't think he could keep up the charade. Similarly with the most horrid blackmail.

I just can't figure him out.

I seriously feel your pain. Sincerely. And, much as I want to vomit, he could indeed be Secretary of State to a corrupt GOP POTUS like Bush or Huckabee or Christie.

anaconda
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
That might be the first time I've agreed with that sniveling, fear mongering, baby talking piece of dogshit. Snowden revealed to the world the depths of the NSA lawbreaking. He kept his oath while Alexander, Clapper and others proved to be the worst kind of traitors. They are the domestic enemies that were warned about. Some accountability for their actions would be great to see. Bolton is just another chickenhawk National Guard joiner while also being a CFR member and PNAC criminal.

Hear, hear!. This is about the best post I have seen. Out of the park.