PDA

View Full Version : Texas, Search Warrants Can Now Be Based on a "Prediction of a Future Crime"

phill4paul
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/12/parker_county_meth_search_warr.php

In Texas, Search Warrants Can Now Be Based on a "Prediction of a Future Crime"

By Eric Nicholson Tue., Dec. 17 2013 at 8:00 AM

Police in Parker County had been watching Michael Fred Wehrenberg's home for a month when, late in the summer of 2010, they received a tip from a confidential informant that Wehrenberg and several others were "fixing to" cook meth. Hours later, after midnight, officers walked through the front door, rounded up the people inside, and kept them in handcuffs in the front yard for an hour and a half.

The only potential problem, at least from a constitutional standpoint, was that the cops didn't have a search warrant. They got one later, before they seized the boxes of pseudoephedrine, stripped lithium batteries, and other meth-making materials, while the alleged meth cooks waited around in handcuffs, but by then they'd already waltzed through the home uninvited. They neglected to mention this on their warrant application, identifying a confidential informant as their only source of information.

Wehrenberg's lawyers argued during materials that the seized materials had been taken illegally and shouldn't be allowed as evidence. The motion was denied -- the trial court cited federal "independent source doctrine," which allows illegally seized evidence a third party told them about beforehand -- and Wehrenberg pleaded guilty to one count of possession and one count of intent to manufacture, getting five years in prison.

The Second Court of Appeals in Fort Worth wasn't so eager to overlook what appeared to be a clear case of police misconduct and overturned the lower court's ruling.

But it's the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals that has the final say, and last week they agreed with the trial court. In a majority opinion, Judge Elsa Alcala wrote that, while Texas' "exclusionary rule" bans illegally seized evidence from trial, federal precedent dictates that it can be introduced if it was first confirmed by an independent source.

Grits for Breakfast's Scott Henson, who first reported the case, isn't sure how significant the decision will prove to be on the ground.

"But the actions of police in the case don't pass the smell test," he writes. "If their informant was so credible, why not go to the judge for a search warrant in the 3-4 hours before their illegal entry? The judge was available in the middle of the night, so there's little basis to believe they couldn't have gotten it earlier. And why conceal the fact that they'd already swept the house and detained the suspects in the search warrant application if everything was on the up and up?"

He has a kindred spirit in CCA Judge Lawrence Meyers, who was the only justice to dissent. As Meyers wrote, "it is obvious to me that this search warrant was obtained based upon the officers' unlawful entry into [Wehrenberg]'s residence."

There was more than enough time to secure a search warrant before the officers' intrusion into the premises, but they deliberately chose not to attempt to obtain it until after they had conducted the unlawful entry. Further, had the officers entered the home and found the occupants only baking cupcakes, the officers would not have bothered to then obtain the warrant at all. It was only after unlawfully entering and finding suspicious activity that they felt the need to then secure the warrant in order to cover their tracks and collect the evidence without the taint of their entry.

In addition, Meyers argues that the confidential informant's report that Wehrenberg was "fixing to" cook meth wasn't independent evidence but a prediction of a future crime.

The majority's decision, he writes, means that "search warrants may now be based on predictions of the commission of future crimes," which is an uncomfortable concept to say the least.

Ronin Truth
12-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Why am I having a deja vu experience with "Minority Report"?

HOLLYWOOD
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
When government runs upon racketeering and monopolies... everyone else loses.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk87/MistyakaBabyNinja/MR5-1.jpghttp://www.le-grand-barnum.fr/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/precrime.jpg

aGameOfThrones
12-18-2013, 01:22 PM
At least texas has its gun Rights....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kwVmAvYuJpI/UaKpK3hBL2I/AAAAAAAAAIc/vfjV-8AesNM/s1600/laughing-gif-22zppmz.gif

tod evans
12-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Texas, Search Warrants Can Now Be Based on a "Prediction of a Future Crime"

Thank goodness!

Ya' never know what might happen...:rolleyes:

phill4paul
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Evening bump.

2young2vote
12-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I heard those Tea Partiers and litertarion folks like guns, so they might be potential criminals who want to kill me and my children. ROUND'EM UP. I've done nothing wrong so I'm ok and this won't affect me because I'm a good person! Thats why this is good, because it only stops the bad people.

thoughtomator
12-18-2013, 03:00 PM
It thus follows, as laws continue to multiply, that all persons can be confidently predicted as future criminals since there will be no way to be otherwise.

Anti Federalist
12-18-2013, 03:03 PM
That's why it's so funny on so many levels.

They really aren't all that great on guns.

Tex-Ass.

At least texas has its gun Rights....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kwVmAvYuJpI/UaKpK3hBL2I/AAAAAAAAAIc/vfjV-8AesNM/s1600/laughing-gif-22zppmz.gif

Anti Federalist
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
It thus follows, as laws continue to multiply, that all persons can be confidently predicted as future criminals since there will be no way to be otherwise.

Bingo.

The perfect police state:

Total Surveillance and the ability to convict someone of breaking one of millions of unknowable rules or the possibility that you might.

AmeriKa.

FreeDumb.

aGameOfThrones
12-18-2013, 07:07 PM
That's why it's so funny on so many levels.

They really aren't all that great on guns.

Tex-Ass.

Texas = Pro Guns

It's a marketing gimmick.

http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Marketing-gimmicks-works-easy-on-women.jpg

So I was looking for a marketing gimmick funny pic and I got this...

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000605033/polls_2007_07_31_naked_cowgirl_004_5656_303882_ans wer_4_xlarge.jpeg

Hope I didn't break forum rules.

Anti Federalist
12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Boobies!

Brian4Liberty
12-19-2013, 01:29 AM
the trial court cited federal "independent source doctrine," which allows illegally seized evidence a third party told them about beforehand -- and Wehrenberg pleaded guilty to one count of possession and one count of intent to manufacture, getting five years in prison.

So the cops manufacture a "confidential informant", and the Constitution gets thrown away. Wonderful.

acptulsa
12-19-2013, 08:36 AM
So the cops manufacture a "confidential informant", and the Constitution gets thrown away. Wonderful.

I wonder if all these appeals court judges would be so blasé about this if they realized that Texas is fast on its way to replacing all its judges with addle-brained informants who work for free?

Use the pigeon's tip as an excuse to search first and seek a warrant later? How tiny a baby step is that from not seeking the warrant at all? Judges down Texas way have been rubber stamps for decades now. One would think they'd have more sense, and more of a sense of self-preservation, than this. Haven't they heard that everyone is expendable?

tod evans
12-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Boobies!

Boobs are good!

Contumacious
12-19-2013, 09:30 AM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/12/parker_county_meth_search_warr.php

The Texas Criminal Court allegedly relied upon SCOTUS precedent establishing the "independent source" doctrine. Now if the identity of the informer is not disclosed nor his/her reliability proven then the doctrine is another scam to support the creation of a police state.

At any rate, the Ninth Amendment is supposed to protect Americans right to self medicate.