PDA

View Full Version : Real life Rambo Drifters: Homeless couple sues Missouri town for asking them to leave

aGameOfThrones
12-17-2013, 01:21 AM
kinda like Rambo, but without the blood.

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A small Missouri town was sued on Monday by a homeless couple who are accusing it of violating their constitutional rights by forcing them to leave because they stood on a street corner holding a sign seeking assistance.

Brandalyn Orchard and Edward Gillespie, who were holding a sign that read "Traveling. Anything helps. God Bless," obeyed police who ordered them to leave Miner, Missouri, on September 26, according to the federal lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on the couple's behalf.

Officers, who showed them copies of ordinances against vagrancy, begging and loitering, told the couple they would be arrested if they did not leave town in five minutes, the lawsuit said.

The city clerk in the town of 980 people in southeast Missouri said ordinances the officers cited do not exist, the lawsuit said.

"The police are our first line of defense and we entrust them with the ability to arrest, but in return we need some checks and balances," Jeffrey Mittman, executive director of the ACLU of Missouri, said in a news release.

"The ACLU is stepping in because it is especially egregious when police try to intimidate those who are least likely to have the resources to defend their rights."

Joe Fuchs, attorney for the city, declined to comment on the lawsuit on Monday. The two police officers allegedly involved in the incident were not identified in the lawsuit.

Orchard and Gillespie, from Missouri, are asking the court for unspecified damages and an injunction to prevent the city from attempting to enforce "policies and customs" that are unconstitutional.

It is unclear where the officers got the ordinances they showed the couple, Missouri ACLU attorney Anthony Rothert said.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1970s that laws against vagrancy - or having no visible means of support - were unconstitutional, Rothert said.

http://news.yahoo.com/homeless-couple-sues-missouri-town-asking-them-leave-022516076.html

Trautman: Look John, we can't have you running around out there killing friendly civilians.
Rambo: There are no friendly civilians!
Trautman: But I'm your friend Johnny! I was there with you knee-deep in all that blood and guts. I covered your ass more than once. Seems like baling you out of trouble's got to be a life-time achievement for me.
Rambo: There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king-shit cop! All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir.
Trautman: Well you did some pushing on your own John.
Rambo: They drew first blood, not me.
Trautman: Look Johnny, let me come in and get you the hell out of there!
Rambo: They drew first blood...

Teasle: He was just another drifter who broke the law!
Trautman: Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.
Teasle: Now don't give me any of that crap Trautman. Do you think Rambo was the only guy who had a tough time in Vietnam? He killed a police officer for Christ's sake!
Trautman: You're goddamn lucky he didn't kill all of you.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Either give money to people like this or tell them no. Quit being cowards already.

Antischism
12-17-2013, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgCh5vrHq3o

In a small town where all knew all, wandered a peasant lady nobody knew,
But her only friend was a young boy, brought her hot tea and leftover stew,
In those burnin' wintry Decembers, he'd pick dirty pennies up off the cold street,
And while his mother was out Christmas shopping, he'd say, "Come on in, warm your feet."
As long as you share with me stories, so she spoke I'm a product of war,
My mother never knew who she could be, as my father lay drunk on the floor,
And she spoke of the cart that she wheeled, had keys with no locks,
and guitars with no stings, and a puzzle that could never be finished,
But this is my home, and these broken things are...

But the boy went on to be taught in the schools,
to not talk to strangers and don't feed the fools,
Grew older and further and over-forgot,
as she was forced to move from lot to lot to lot,

She said, "I guess it was much in his nature to become an Enforcer of Law,
My old friend's got a gun to protect me from the rock-tossing drunks from the bars."
"Oh, he seemed like the sort to help others, so I'll find him while he's on the beat,
and say 'Remember me, I'm the old lady you'd give the pennies you found on the street?'"

When she found him she saw not the young boy who dug for the roots of her junk,
She came face-to-face with a stern, vacant soldier, grinning and spinning a club,
He said, "Don't you know that you can't be here?
You'll hurt business and scare away the kids.
Go wander around in some other town; get out or I'm taking you in."

"But officer, I fondly remember you -
young boy who would give me the leftover stew,
would take me inside to the warm fire coals,
and those hundreds of pennies bought me all these clothes."

It's against the law to peddle
It's against the law to eat
It's against the law to have nothing more than the shoes full of holes on your feet
And now they've put bars across the park benches, so I guess it's illegal to sleep

They buried something inside of you, Officer
Into your cold heart, dig deep
And you'll see that it's me
And here I'll be, nothing new to me
I'll be heartbroken and cold, frozen and alone
My coffin was a dumpster and I didn't even know

But while out on the beat, he looked down to the street,
and he saw a dirty penny heads up at his feet
And it made him think of an old tall-tale of an old woman who pushed 'round a cart,
And the boy who fed her and helped her, knew he shoulda deep in his heart
...But where did he hear that old tall-tale?
But hey, what a story to spread
So he told it to his own growing boy, once in a while before bed.