PDA

View Full Version : EPA Global Warming Expert Avoided Doing Work for 13 Years by Pretending He Was in the CIA

libertyjam
12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Gotta just love those guberment employees!

EPA Global Warming Expert (and Its Highest-Paid Employee) Avoided Doing Work for 13 Years by Pretending He Was in the CIA

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/16/epa-global-warming-expert-and-its-highest-paid-employee-avoided-doing-work-for-13-years-by-pretending-he-was-in-the-cia/

A former Environmental Protection Agency employee and top global warming expert will be sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty to defrauding taxpayers of nearly $1 million in a wild scheme dating back to at least 2000.
The EPAs Top Global Warming Expert and Highest Paid Employee Pretended He Worked for CIA for 13 Years to Avoid Doing Work

Former EPA official John Beale will be sentenced Wednesday for defrauding taxpayers of nearly $1 million (Image source: House Oversight and Government Reform Committee)

John C. Beale, 65, in a “crime of massive proportions” avoided doing his real job for more than a decade by telling his supervisors he was an undercover CIA agent, NBC News reported, citing federal prosecutors. He pleaded guilty in September.

Federal authorities are now requesting Beale serve at least 30 months in federal prison, saying his “historic” lies are “offensive” to CIA agents who actually do covert missions.

EPA Assistant Inspector General Patrick Sullivan, who headed the investigation into Beale’s fraud, was shocked with what he found when he started digging in February 2012.

“I thought, ‘Oh my God, How could this possibly have happened in this agency?” he told NBC. “I’ve worked for the government for 35 years. I’ve never seen a situation like this.”

So how did Beale manage to get away with the deception for so long? Did no one think to double-check his CIA claims? It would appear not, according to federal prosecutors.

Beale was “enabled” because top officials failed to verify his stories or even question the hundreds of thousands of dollars given to him in bonuses and travel expenses.

Before he “retired” in 2011, Beale was earning an annual salary of $206,000 plus bonuses — more than the salaries of his immediate boss and EPA administrator Gina McCarthy, according to official documents.

The former EPA official often skipped going in to work, once going 18 months straight without ever setting foot in his office by telling his supervisors — including McCarthy — that he was doing covert work for the CIA. During a six-month stretch when he didn’t go in, he told supervisors he was needed in Pakistan because the Taliban was torturing his CIA replacement, NBC reported.

“Due to recent events that you have probably read about, I am in Pakistan,” Beale wrote McCarthy in a Dec. 18, 2010 email. “Got the call Thurs and left Fri. Hope to be back for Christmas ….Ho, ho, ho.”

angelatc
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
This is a huge difference in between the way that the private sector views costs vs the government sector.

In the private sector, if I went to my boss and said "I'm working for another department for the next decade," she would say,"Well, then your salary expense needs to be charged to them." The smaller your expense, the more successful you are as a manager. (Of course that's in proportion to the amount of work you put out.)

In the public sector, the bigger your budget, the more successful you are. Nobody has any incentive to try to unload an expense on someone else. There is absolutely no incentive to push people to be productive.

oyarde
12-16-2013, 11:22 PM
What the fuck does the EPA have a " global warming expert " for ? There is no global warming , do they have unicorn and Easter Bunny experts as well ?

oyarde
12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
The EPA and the USDA should be abolished, Christmas Eve will do for me ..... douchebags can find a real job.

Danke
12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Would the CIA rat out one of their covert operatives to anyone, of course not, he was definitely CIA all the way.

Danke
12-16-2013, 11:31 PM
What the fuck does the EPA have a " global warming expert " for ? There is no global warming , do they have unicorn and Easter Bunny experts as well ?

What. I suppose now you're going to demand RPFs no longer needs a global warming expert, and that I should step down?

HOLLYWOOD
12-16-2013, 11:36 PM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/wtf-18374.jpg

oyarde
12-16-2013, 11:57 PM
What. I suppose now you're going to demand RPFs no longer needs a global warming expert, and that I should step down?

I did not know it was you , carry on , I trust you . Let me know when you get water running back to the toilet in the Hangar, can I keep some of my German beer glass collection in there ?

Danke
12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
I did not know it was you , carry on , I trust you . Let me know when you get water running back to the toilet in the Hangar, can I keep some of my German beer glass collection in there ?

Yes, but not for long.

specsaregood
12-17-2013, 06:15 AM
This is a huge difference in between the way that the private sector views costs vs the government sector.

In the private sector, if I went to my boss and said "I'm working for another department for the next decade," she would say,"Well, then your salary expense needs to be charged to them." The smaller your expense, the more successful you are as a manager. (Of course that's in proportion to the amount of work you put out.)

In the public sector, the bigger your budget, the more successful you are. Nobody has any incentive to try to unload an expense on someone else. There is absolutely no incentive to push people to be productive.

heh, at one of my jobs over a decade ago I was the junior programmer when my department was pretty much eliminated: boss fired, senior coworkers found new jobs and suddenly I was left without any bosses. I kept getting my paychecks but had no official todo list. so I wandered the floors/halls/offices and met managers and asked if they had any work on their wishlist they wanted to get done for "free" since it wasn't coming out of their budget. I was a very busy guy for somebody without any responsibilities, they loved me....

Ronin Truth
12-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Wake up POTUS Clueless about his bogus AWG obsession.

tod evans
12-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Fire all government employees and see if anyone without an obamaphone complains...

Origanalist
12-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Does it really make any difference? The outrage is a joke.

timosman
12-24-2016, 07:08 PM
bump