PDA

View Full Version : Edward Snowden says judge's ruling vindicates NSA surveillance disclosures

CaseyJones
12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/16/edward-snowden-ruling-nsa-surveillance

Edward Snowden, the former security contractor who leaked a trove of National Security Agency documents, welcomed a court ruling on Monday that declared the bulk collection of Americans’ telephone records to be a likely violation of the US constitution.

Snowden said the ruling, by a US district judge, justified his disclosures. “I acted on my belief that the NSA's mass surveillance programs would not withstand a constitutional challenge, and that the American public deserved a chance to see these issues determined by open courts," he said in comments released through Glenn Greenwald, the former Guardian journalist who received the documents from Snowden.

"Today, a secret program authorised by a secret court was, when exposed to the light of day, found to violate Americans’ rights. It is the first of many,” said Snowden, whose statement was first reported by the New York Times.

Judge Richard Leon declared that the mass collection of so-called metadata probably violates the fourth amendment, relating to unreasonable searches and seizures, and was "almost Orwellian" in its scope.

Warlord
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Edward is a hero!

HOLLYWOOD
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
You're damn right Ed...

plus it exposes the lies and propaganda of corporate media... which has become the true 'ENEMY of the US Constitution and people"

phill4paul
12-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Lateral shifts and promotions all around!

angelatc
12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
“I acted on my belief that the NSA's mass surveillance programs would not withstand a constitutional challenge, and that the American public deserved a chance to see these issues determined by open courts,"

Yeah, I would love to celebrate, but I'm far from convinced that SCOTUS will take the side of freedom here.

green73
12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I would love to celebrate, but I'm far from convinced that SCOTUS will take the side of freedom here.

Hope killer!

angelatc
12-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Hope killer!

No. I wish I didn't have hope. That would be emotionally easier than constantly losing it.

CaseyJones
12-16-2013, 05:41 PM
White House says Snowden should still face charges in U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-says-snowden-still-face-charges-u-195741451--finance.html

White House spokesman Jay Carney dismissed the suggestion on Monday that the United States could grant amnesty to former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden if he were to turn over the documents in his possession.

"Our position has not changed on that matter at all," Carney told reporters at a briefing in response to a question. "Mr. Snowden has been accused of leaking classified information and he faces felony charges here in the United States. He should be returned to the United States as soon as possible, where he will be accorded full due process in our system."

VoluntaryAmerican
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Wow this should be front page news.

Googled it and all that practically came up was a Slate article saying this judge was "foolish"... fucking hell. :mad:

jmdrake
12-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow this should be front page news.

Googled it and all that practically came up was a Slate article saying this judge was "foolish"... fucking hell. :mad:

Bunch a liberal coward hypocrites! If Romney had been president Slate would be calling for his impeachment.

green73
12-16-2013, 06:40 PM