PDA

View Full Version : would it be illegal to...

aoahuj
11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
if I stood outside the voting station, and told everyone walking inside to vote for ron paul and shook their hand... is that illegal?

I would probably say "the 2008 election is about the war in iraq, period. no other issue matters. please vote for ron paul"

i may wake up super early to do that, and be the first to vote

yaz
11-29-2007, 02:04 AM
i don't know but i don't think so. i was planning on doing that eventually.

chestertime
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
not sure on the law but i believe there's a certain yardage within which you can not campaign. for example, 60 yds from the entrance. it may not apply to primaries, but i'd assume it applies to all votes for public policy reasons and that badgering voters so close to the polls would violate the theme of freedom.

MikeStanart
11-29-2007, 02:14 AM
At least in Texas, you are required to be a certain distance from the entrance to the polling place.

I'm sure thats the same in most states, but of course do your research.

If you're beyond that point (it should be clearly marked with a sign, line, or something by a Voting Clerk; you're fine to campaign however you'd like.

Hope
11-29-2007, 02:17 AM
In most states you are not allowed to push any one candidate within something like 200 feet of the booths.

Mark Rushmore
11-29-2007, 02:18 AM
The priority is to convert someone with property adjacent or opposite the polling station ;).

Mckarnin
11-29-2007, 02:21 AM
if I stood outside the voting station, and told everyone walking inside to vote for ron paul and shook their hand... is that illegal?

I would probably say "the 2008 election is about the war in iraq, period. no other issue matters. please vote for ron paul"

i may wake up super early to do that, and be the first to vote

I know that in my Pittsburgh polling place people stand right by the walkway into the building and offer you literature and mention candidates...not sure about other districts/states.