PDA

View Full Version : Climate change expert's fraud was 'crime of massive proportion,' say feds

green73
12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I sent this to Drudge and it got posted. :cool:

The EPA’s highest-paid employee and a leading expert on climate change deserves to go to prison for at least 30 months for lying to his bosses and saying he was a CIA spy working in Pakistan so he could avoid doing his real job, say federal prosecutors.

John C. Beale, who pled guilty in September to bilking the government out of nearly $1 million in salary and other benefits over a decade, will be sentenced in a Washington, D.C., federal court on Wednesday. In a newly filed sentencing memo, prosecutors said that his “historic” lies are “offensive” to those who actually do dangerous work for the CIA.

Beale’s lawyer, while acknowledging his guilt, has asked for leniency and offered a psychological explanation for the climate expert’s bizarre tales.

“With the help of his therapist,” wrote attorney John Kern, “Mr. Beale has come to recognize that, beyond the motive of greed, his theft and deception were animated by a highly self-destructive and dysfunctional need to engage in excessively reckless, risky behavior.” Kern also said Beale was driven “to manipulate those around him through the fabrication of grandiose narratives … that are fueled by his insecurities.”

The two sentencing memos, along with documents obtained by NBC News, offer new details about what some officials describe as one of the most audacious, and creative, federal frauds they have ever encountered.

cont.
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/16/21911592-climate-change-experts-fraud-was-crime-of-massive-proportion-say-feds

squarepusher
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
title is redundant, :) nice find

PRB
12-16-2013, 01:18 PM
title is redundant, :) nice find

the title misleads the reader to think that this man committed fraud about climate change.

paulbot24
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
When he first began looking into Beale’s deceptions last February, “I thought, ‘Oh my God, How could this possibly have happened in this agency?” said EPA Assistant Inspector General Patrick Sullivan, who spearheaded the Beale probe, in an interview with NBC News. “I’ve worked for the government for 35 years. I’ve never seen a situation like this.”

Really?

angelatc
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
the title misleads the reader to think that this man committed fraud about climate change.

The thing is....being convicted of lying usually tends to brand you as a liar. Most people don't limit their dishonesty to only one aspect of their life.

Having said that, you're right if you're implying that this doesn't automatically negate every bit of research he's ever done. But it certainly means that his research should be audited.