PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Jason Chaffetz hitting early primary states

compromise
12-16-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57259259-90/chaffetz-hatch-chairman-booker.html.csp

First, Rep. Jason Chaffetz went to South Carolina and no one cared. Then he went to Iowa and raised a few eyebrows. Now he’s planning a trip to New Hampshire and people are starting to take notice. He also has plans for events in Colorado and Florida.

The ambitious Congressman admits he’s raising money for other Republicans because he wants a promotion, but it’s not to the big white mansion on Pennsylvania Avenue... at least not yet.

"It doesn’t mean I’m running for president," he said. "I’ve made no bones of the idea that I want to become the chairman of the Oversight Committee."

He’s already a top lieutenant to Chairman Darrell Issa, the Republican pitbull constantly barking at the Obama administration. Issa’s chairmanship ends in 2014 and Chaffetz is among a small group of contenders vying to replace him. What he lacks in seniority, he is trying to make up for in effort.

He’s a vice chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee and he’s trying to be a "team player" by attending fundraisers for his colleagues.

That’s what’s happening on Feb. 19 when he travels to New Hampshire for an event on behalf of former Rep. Frank Guinta, who is trying to make a comeback.

That still doesn’t answer why his events happen to coincide with early presidential primary states. Chaffetz suggests it has to do with his close ties to a former GOP presidential candidate.

"I spent a lot of time with Mitt Romney on the road, nearly 100 days," he said, not that he did the math. "Consequently, I met a lot of people who preside in presidential primary states."
Chaffetz is a mixed bag. He's more conservative than most Republicans, but he's voted with the establishment on many key votes recently and is reportedly closely associated with establishment Republicans. He has made some good votes though, like for immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan and against the NDAA and the Patriot Act. I don't think a presidential run is likely for a fairly low profile US Representative, but he could pull a Bachmann and run anyway.

TaftFan
12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
He would be more like a Thad McCotter, except maybe the Mormons would be interested. Unlike McCotter, he is not weird and won't run.

eduardo89
12-16-2013, 03:39 PM
He's the kind of rep that says all the right things, but a lot of times forgets his principles on voting day.

He used to be a guest on Freedom Watch very often.

Bastiat's The Law
12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Chaffetz is strictly a 'better than' candidate. He's nothing to get excited over. He's probably a two star ★★ candidate on the Liberty Scale.

HOLLYWOOD
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM
The same Rep. Jason Chaffetz that said on the media, "It costs too much money to run for the U.S. Senate seat in Utah"

ctiger2
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Chaffetz is a moderate fascist.

Brian4Liberty
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Chaffetz sold his soul to the establishment. He's nothing but a shill now.