PDA

View Full Version : Cop gives freezing homeless man sweatshirt, makes Fox news

Origanalist
12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
One simple act of kindness is so out of place now it makes national news. This would not get a second glance if you or I did it.

NYPD officer gives freezing homeless man shirt off his back;

An NYPD officer is being credited with offering some Christmas kindness to a freezing homeless man by literally giving him the shirt off his back.

The New York Post reports Officer Carlos Ramos, 29, was tasked with searching for suspicious packages or activity on Manhattan’s East Side Friday morning when he encountered a shivering Robert William.

At the time, William was reportedly sitting barefoot on the sidewalk and trying to rip his shirt in half to wrap -- and warm -- his feet. William had removed his boots after getting them wet on a morning with sub-30-degree temperatures.

“I told him, ‘I have a thick sweatshirt. Why don’t you take it?’” Ramos told The New York Daily News, adding William initially refused the offer out of concern the Brooklyn father-of-three would be cold on the beat.

"He gave it to me. He said, 'Don't worry about it,'" William told The Post. "I felt good about having it."

Ramos, who is assigned to the NYPD transit bureau’s anti-terrorism unit, reportedly joined the force six years ago.

“I’ve helped out other people, especially when it’s cold,” he told the Daily News. “A nice cup of coffee, a tea, whatever seems appropriate… always wanted to help those that need help, protect the city, protect the country.” (But...I don't want your "protection")

In November 2012, another NYPD officer - Lawrence DePrimo -- inadvertently made national news when an Arizona tourist snapped a cell phone photo of him helping a homeless man put on a pair of shoes he had purchased with his money, after spotting the man, also barefoot on the sidewalk, while walking a beat.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/15/nypd-officer-gives-freezing-homeless-man-shirt-off-his-back/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+%28Interna l+-+US+Latest+-+Text%29

tod evans
12-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't recall anyone ever saying that folks who perform evil jobs aren't prone to random acts of kindness.

Those random acts don't absolve the evil though.

aGameOfThrones
12-15-2013, 12:23 PM
The homeless man was shirtless and thus needed something for police to have an excuse to Stop and Frisk.

angelatc
12-15-2013, 12:29 PM
The New York Post reports Officer Carlos Ramos, 29, was tasked with searching for suspicious packages or activity on Manhattan’s East Side Friday morning when he encountered a shivering Robert William.

I have said this before. Didn't they used to call this, "walking a beat?"

HOLLYWOOD
12-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Garbage FOX NEWS - NEWSCORP propaganda of the state's apparatus' public relations firms. Yeah, a 'Six figure plus salary' statist tool, with decades of the taxpayers picking up his pay/retirement/benefits.

Want a show of something good Fascist FOX NEWS? How about a volunteer or low income or struggling person taking the initiative in their declining world,who's helping the poor... not this communistic Pravda nationalistic crap, all for the state media highlights.

Sp, it's more mind control from the state... one only needs to follow it up with the other garbage on TV; CSI whatever, NYPD Blue, TJ Hooker, Adam 12, SWAT, CHiPs, Kojack, Columbo, Dragnet, Police Squad, The Shield, Barney Miller, Emergency, Miami Vice, Hawaii 5-O, The FBI... in color, Law & Order, Rescue Me, and Hill Street Blues...

PS: Oh... and for the Capital Police circus, there's: Police Academy series movies 1 - 7

Danke
12-15-2013, 01:57 PM
He should have bought him a ticket to Florida.

Christian Liberty
12-15-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't recall anyone ever saying that folks who perform evil jobs aren't prone to random acts of kindness.

Those random acts don't absolve the evil though.

I think you've talked to me enough to know I'm no fan of the police.

That doesn't change the fact that in this instance this man did something admirable. Good for him.

I'd be grateful too, if I was the homeless guy.

enhanced_deficit
12-15-2013, 02:03 PM
The homeless man was shirtless and thus needed something for police to have an excuse to Stop and Frisk.

Slightly off topic, but not having any clothes on while being frisked is frowned upon.

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s4/99949/full/SCCZEN_AP120419051210_460x230.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=E2AjzW2ADxRTOM&tbnid=FejREtpBp0W4_M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sott.net%2Farticle%2F244264-Mans-Airport-Protest-Nude-Not-Lewd&ei=1AquUvSoO7KnsQSLhoGoDg&bvm=bv.57967247,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNHG5iX4A6J5XfC2nFrxbxmhe9q6HQ&ust=1387224113158643)

oyarde
12-15-2013, 04:53 PM
One simple act of kindness is so out of place now it makes national news. This would not get a second glance if you or I did it.

NYPD officer gives freezing homeless man shirt off his back;

An NYPD officer is being credited with offering some Christmas kindness to a freezing homeless man by literally giving him the shirt off his back.

At the time, William was reportedly sitting barefoot on the sidewalk and trying to rip his shirt in half to wrap -- and warm -- his feet. William had removed his boots after getting them wet on a morning with sub-30-degree temperatures.

“I told him, ‘I have a thick sweatshirt. Why don’t you take it?’” Ramos told The New York Daily News, adding William initially refused the offer out of concern the Brooklyn father-of-three would be cold on the beat.

"He gave it to me. He said, 'Don't worry about it,'" William told The Post. "I felt good about having it."

Ramos, who is assigned to the NYPD transit bureau’s anti-terrorism unit, reportedly joined the force six years ago.

“I’ve helped out other people, especially when it’s cold,” he told the Daily News. “A nice cup of coffee, a tea, whatever seems appropriate… always wanted to help those that need help, protect the city, protect the country.” (But...I don't want your "protection")

In November 2012, another NYPD officer - Lawrence DePrimo -- inadvertently made national news when an Arizona tourist snapped a cell phone photo of him helping a homeless man put on a pair of shoes he had purchased with his money, after spotting the man, also barefoot on the sidewalk, while walking a beat.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/15/nypd-officer-gives-freezing-homeless-man-shirt-off-his-back/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+%28Interna l+-+US+Latest+-+Text%29

When in doubt , give 'em one of Danke's sweatshirts. I should make fortune cookie slips.

Romulus
12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
In other news, man tries to feed the homeless, breaks law, gets tazered and jailed.

Cop hands man some bread, gets medal.

Christian Liberty
12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
In other news, man tries to feed the homeless, breaks law, gets tazered and jailed.

Cop hands man some bread, gets medal.

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't seem like this cop was really acting as a cop when he did this though. He was acting as an individual. I'm surprised they let him do it actually, as even things like this show the utter non-necessity of government to take care of the poor.

Snew
12-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Probably got stopped and frisked the next day.

Philhelm
12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Is this an Onion article?

heavenlyboy34
12-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Must be nice having Faux News as your public relations department/propaganda arm.

JK/SEA
12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
''homeless man shot to death by police for stealing officers shirt''..........

next.