PDA

View Full Version : Teacher disciplined for 'Santa is white' remark

RPfan1992
12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico high school teacher has been disciplined after a parent says the man told his black son that Santa Claus is white.

Officials at the school in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north of Albuquerque, said Saturday that the teacher recently was disciplined for his comments to the student, but they declined to say how.

The move came after students at Cleveland High School were told they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer.

Michael Rougier told KOB-TV his ninth-grade son, Christopher, arrived wearing a Santa hat and beard, and the teacher asked the boy: "Don't you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?"

The teacher's name was not released.

Michael Rougier said the teacher's comments enraged him.

"There's no room for that in the classroom," he said. "Whether this teacher felt Christopher may have been wearing this out of context, there's no room for it. There's just no room for it."

The incident happened the same week that Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly said on the air that both Santa Claus and Jesus were white. Her comments drew national attention and prompted a slew of heated comments on blogs and social media sites.

A spokeswoman for Rio Rancho Public Schools told The Associated Press that the Cleveland High School teacher knows he made a "stupid mistake" and has since apologized to the Rougier family.

"The remark was inappropriate and should not have been made. The teacher feels very badly about what occurred," district spokeswoman Kim Vesely told the AP in an email. "He self-reported the incident to the principal and has apologized to the student and to the student's parent. Appropriate disciplinary action has been taken."

Michael Rougier said he still has concerns about the teacher. "If he has that attitude, how is it affecting students, studies, grading habits, trending toward Caucasian kids?" Rougier said.

The teacher still works at Cleveland, but Christopher has been removed from his class at his family's request, Vesely said.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131214/US-White-Santa-Teacher_s-Remark/

dannno
12-14-2013, 09:54 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/faf838594a6f9bdb6b2f9e00b3fc2a0c/tumblr_inline_mrqh76Q4mv1qz4rgp.jpg

asurfaholic
12-14-2013, 10:06 PM
What a nation of pussies.

Yea, a stupid thing to say, but the student can go blow himself.

mad cow
12-14-2013, 10:17 PM
High School students in New Mexico believe in Santa?And dress up as elves,reindeer and Santa himself?
In High School?
He should have dressed up as an elf.We do have black elves in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVRmXc8PPqk

heavenlyboy34
12-14-2013, 11:26 PM
High School students in New Mexico believe in Santa?And dress up as elves,reindeer and Santa himself?
In High School?
He should have dressed up as an elf.We do have black elves in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVRmXc8PPqk
LOLZ :D

Brian4Liberty
12-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Donate to Amash and Brannon, ignore this nonsense.

mad cow
12-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Donate to Amash and Brannon, ignore this nonsense.

Waitin' 'til monday.

Demigod
12-15-2013, 02:16 AM
They do know that the man on which Santa was based was WHITE ?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-15-2013, 03:08 AM
The teacher probably has a class in civics. It was all part of his master plan to keep the black man down. The white Santa Claus represents white government, mostly the good old boys. The presents he distributes to blacks represent welfare checks. The black must continue to believe in Santa and be good to receive his gifts. If the black man steps out of line and is bad, then Santa will administer punishment, such as drug testing to get your food stamps.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Wait a second...there are people here who find this to be appropriate behavior for a teacher?

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 07:39 AM
They do know that the man on which Santa was based was WHITE ?

"You do know that Rudolph was a reindeer. Why are you wearing that?"

newbitech
12-15-2013, 07:43 AM
It's better if we just pretend that everyone has the same color skin. I propose we pretend we are all colored pink with green and purple stripes.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 07:53 AM
No one is suggesting that. It's ridiculous because they were told "they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer."

newbitech
12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
No one is suggesting that. It's ridiculous because they were told "they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer."

Yes, that has to be the most ridiculous part. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus but Santa could have pink skin with green and purple stripes if we all "believe" he can.

osan
12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
It's better if we just pretend that everyone has the same color skin. I propose we pretend we are all colored pink with green and purple stripes.

Or perhaps this: goto 1:16:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRbaVNvSA

And BTW, the entire film is well worth the watching.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes, that has to be the most ridiculous part. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus but Santa could have pink skin with green and purple stripes if we all "believe" he can.

Again..."You do know that Rudolph was a reindeer. Why are you wearing that?"

or maybe "You do know elfs were under 4 feet. Why are you wearing that?"

newbitech
12-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Again..."You do know that Rudolph was a reindeer. Why are you wearing that?"

or maybe "You do know elfs were under 4 feet. Why are you wearing that?"

Rudolf also had a red nose, not a black nose. And what black person do you know that is under 4 ft tall? The sad reality that this teacher's comments bring out is that black people shouldn't participate in Christmas.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Rudolf also had a red nose, not a black nose. And what black person do you know that is under 4 ft tall? The sad reality that this teacher's comments bring out is that black people shouldn't participate in Christmas.

Ohhhh, I get it now. You really are just racist. My apologies.

White kids have white noses and are generally above 4 feet. They are also not old and generally can't grow large white beards. It seems my point went right over your head.

newbitech
12-15-2013, 08:31 AM

White kids have white noses and are generally above 4 feet. They are also not old and generally can't grow large white beards. It seems my point went right over your head.

Only if you "believe"/

newbitech
12-15-2013, 08:54 AM

there really is no point to any of this. That is my point. Read the article. The black man is on a vendetta. The teacher realized he said something stupid an apologized to the family, even "self-reported" to the principal. I'm guessing the teacher was probably trying to joke around with the student, but the student has learned from his father that he is the victim of "racism" anytime a white person points out the different in skin color.

It's getting blown out of proportion like racist stuff always does. Usually from blacks trying to get special treatment for being black. The teacher told a dumb joke, the teacher apologized. The parent blew it out of proportion by going to the media, pulling his son from the class, and accusing the teacher of racial bias.

In the middle of all that is a kid who is taught to get offended and hurt about remarks about skin color. Are there really adults out there who feel hurt when someone makes a superficial insult? I guess so, and apparently running to the media and crying about it to everyone else is accepted behavior as well.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 09:06 AM
there really is no point to any of this. That is my point. Read the article. The black man is on a vendetta. The teacher realized he said something stupid an apologized to the family, even "self-reported" to the principal. I'm guessing the teacher was probably trying to joke around with the student, but the student has learned from his father that he is the victim of "racism" anytime a white person points out the different in skin color.

It's getting blown out of proportion like racist stuff always does. Usually from blacks trying to get special treatment for being black. The teacher told a dumb joke, the teacher apologized. The parent blew it out of proportion by going to the media, pulling his son from the class, and accusing the teacher of racial bias.

In the middle of all that is a kid who is taught to get offended and hurt about remarks about skin color. Are there really adults out there who feel hurt when someone makes a superficial insult? I guess so, and apparently running to the media and crying about it to everyone else is accepted behavior as well.

Your making a whole lotta assumptions to have this story fit your worldview. Do I think this story is newsworthy? No. Do I think it was wrong for a teacher to say that to a student? Yes.

newbitech
12-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Your making a whole lotta assumptions to have this story fit your worldview. Do I think this story is newsworthy? No. Do I think it was wrong for a teacher to say that to a student? Yes.

No, i assumed one thing. The teacher was joking about black santa. The article points out that it happened in the same week as the fox anchor saying the same stupid crap on national tv. The black santa joke comes around just about every christmas. sometimes it's hilarious. it just depends on the context.

In this particular context, it was stupid for the teacher to tell that joke. Whatever, the teacher self report and apologized. The ONLY reason it's in the news is cause the parent is blowing it out of proportion. Why is that? I have no doubt that the parent is looking to get something out of it. Some kind of settlement. That is because the way the parent has gone on to add in further accusations against the teacher. "If he has that attitude, how is it affecting students, studies, grading habits, trending toward Caucasian kids?"

He is looking for a discrimination case. It wasn't even an attitude, it was a black santa joke that probably didn't even hurt the kids feelings. Probably only knows about it cause the teacher went to the principal and the principal called the parent to CYA. There is another assumption for ya.

Whole lotta assumptions? Fitting my "world view"? No. Your definition of right and wrong is really picky IMO. It would have been wrong for the teacher to make the kid remove the santa hat and beard. Telling a kid that santa is white and asking the kid why he's dressed like santa is stupid. not wrong.

EricMuck
12-15-2013, 09:37 AM
I feel like your worst assumption is in regards to how this kid was raised and how he feels, or as you put it how he is taught to feel. I know if I was a black high school student who got dressed up for a fun christmas school day, precisely because we were told we could, and my teacher made that comment to me, I'm sure it would ruin my day. It is akin to saying "Hey kid, you don't belong." I agree it was stupid for the teacher to say that. He obviously did too, thus the self-reporting. Perhaps I hold teachers to a higher standard, especially when making comments to a student.

green73
12-15-2013, 10:35 AM
I can totally see this being a joke, especially considering the brouhaha in the news over Megyn Kelly. But we don't know for sure either way. The teacher would have to be pretty f'n stupid otherwise-not out of the realm of possibility. I remember some of the shit my teachers would say to be funny. It was far worse than this.

Danke
12-15-2013, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_xHs0yW7U&feature=em-uploademail

Dr.3D
12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Damn, I really hope people know, the real Santa Clause has been dead for quite a long time, so this entire fiasco just shows to what heights stupidity can soar.

What difference does it make what color the skin of your imaginary friend is?

juleswin
12-15-2013, 12:03 PM
A spokeswoman for Rio Rancho Public Schools told The Associated Press that the Cleveland High School teacher knows he made a "stupid mistake" and has since apologized to the Rougier family.

This point should be highlighted for everyone to see and should have been the end of it. Nothing in the article says that this teacher is a repeat offender to doubt his sincerity. I feel like nothing short of self immolation would be enough to satisfy this dad.

Ignore the dad who am sure have never said anything in his life that has offended anybody before.

juleswin
12-15-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_xHs0yW7U&feature=em-uploademail

Nothing like posting the opinion of a white supremacist to get a race thread going. Nice touch Danke

Danke
12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Nothing like posting the opinion of a white supremacist to get a race thread going. Nice touch Danke

Why do you say he is a white supremacist?

enhanced_deficit
12-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Is this man was Santa, will he be white or black? More importantly, would you trust your child to sit his lap?

http://cdn.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/obama-newtown-kids.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Awaix0M9etGZLM&tbnid=v24zfiVCZwXPVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhiphopwired.com%2F2012%2F12%2F17% 2Fpresident-obama-says-were-not-doing-enough-at-memorial-for-massacre-victims-video%2F9%2F&ei=5HupUoCYJoivkAfI4YCQAg&bvm=bv.57967247,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNEuesGv6v9c1lVrKTsY7VmYj0vC2A&ust=1386924624524567)

Edit:
To avoid risk of this thread toping going in different direction, I have created seperate poll (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?435708-Parents-would-trust-your-child-to-sit-in-this-man-s-lap-if-he-were-quot-Santa-quot&)on above Q.

juleswin
12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Why do you say he is a white supremacist?

The same way i can tell Stephen Colbert is a liberal even though he tries to use satire and sarcasm to mask it. I was subscribed to his youtube channel for a long while and I have watched a great deal of his video to know that he is a white supremacist. You should check out more of his videos and you'll see that he is one.

Danke
12-15-2013, 12:47 PM
The same way i can tell Stephen Colbert is a liberal even though he tries to use satire and sarcasm to mask it. I was subscribed to his youtube channel for a long while and I have watched a great deal of his video to know that he is a white supremacist. You should check out more of his videos and you'll see that he is one.

Well, I didn't find the video to be "white supremacist." I found it to poking fun at the media, stereotypes and the PC reaction to being upset at the notion of Santa being white.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Did he say, "Why are you dressed like that?" Or, did he say, "Why are you dressed like that?"

Okay, let's see if somebody comments.

green73
12-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Paid leave
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24242269/nm-teacher-who-said-santa-is-white-on-paid-leave#ixzz2nmvtvP4D

osan
12-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Hey, if you want to worry about a white supremacist, you should at least go for the big kahuna: Barack Hussein Obama.

Or does anyone here think that the people behind him are anything other than white and looking out for themselves exclusively?