PDA

View Full Version : Senators introduce bill to crack down on 'lavish' portrait expenses

Suzanimal
12-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I know this is just a drop in the bucket but it still pisses me off...

A bipartisan Senate duo says they want to crack down on what they call the government’s “lavish” spending on oil paintings of congressmen, the costs of which can top $50,000 each.

Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Tom Coburn, R-Okla., said in a Thursday press release they are introducing a bill that would only allow $20,000 of taxpayer funds to be spent on each portrait, and would only cover paintings of lawmakers in the line of succession to the presidency.

“At a time when vital services and programs are facing cuts, we need to be looking at every way we can stop excessive spending practices in Washington,” Shaheen said.

Coburn says their bill is a way to rein in excess spending in Washington, and ensure taxpayers are not paying for unnecessary projects.

“Hardworking taxpayers shouldn’t foot the bill for lavish official portraits, especially when government officials spend more on paintings of themselves than some Americans make in a year,” Coburn said.

ABC News reported earlier this year that the Obama administration spent nearly $400,000 on paintings of officials in just a two-year- period, and the Washington Post reported in 2008 each portrait can sometimes cost over $40,000.

The bill would allow other funds to be spent on the portraits after the taxpayer funds were exhausted.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/13/senators-introduce-bill-to-crack-down-on-lavish-portrait-expenses/

mosquitobite
12-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Why are we paying for them in the first place?!

specsaregood
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM
“Hardworking taxpayers shouldn’t foot the bill for lavish official portraits, especially when government officials spend more on paintings of themselves than some Americans make in a year,” Coburn said.

Oh, just let the taxpayers eat cake.

HOLLYWOOD
12-13-2013, 01:35 PM
http://minutemennews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/images-91.jpg

amy31416
12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
He thinks $20k is low enough????

These shits don't even deserve to share a used digital to commemorate their parasitic asses. And I thought it was crazy when my Italian neighbors had an oil painting on their mantle of their poodle.

Philhelm
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Insane.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Why are we paying for them in the first place?!

Ever had someone beat the lunch money out of your pocket? Many people have, and didn't even know it.

Keith and stuff
12-14-2013, 03:18 AM
It makes sense. How could anyone disagree with Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Tom Coburn, R-Okla. on this issue?

tod evans
12-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Give me the purse strings, they'd be jerked closed faster than a Nuns knees in a whorehouse.

Snew
12-14-2013, 11:19 AM
'Cause this is obviously more important than that lavish foreign policy of ours...

Kotin
12-14-2013, 11:22 AM
those rich government-profiting motherfuckers can pay for it themselves... we are now borrowing money from china and printing notes as well to fund this now??

we are royally, extremely fucked.

acptulsa
12-14-2013, 11:28 AM
What? People are wanting to cut down on Senate narcissism? Oh, the humanity...

We'd have better luck trying to keep dogs from licking themselves.

If they weren't God's gift to humanity, would our legal code really look the way it does?

HOLLYWOOD
12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see the paperwork and all those who approved this elitist-narcissistic buffoonery. Documents and for how long has this been going on for by government privileged... it appears to be across most of Federal government agencies.

bunklocoempire
12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Royalty? Oh yeah, we got rid of that crap sandwich 200 plus years ago...:rolleyes:

:mad:

JK/SEA
12-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Insane.

SOP.

libertarianMoney
12-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Dear Government,

There was this awesome invention a few hundred years ago that might solve your problem. It's called a *speaking slowly* Caameeraaa.

You can totally get renditions of your beautiful faces at almost no cost.

Now, I know you like all those oil painting touch-ups (I understand. We all have blemishes.) For that, there is this awesome little program called "Photoshop."
Just ask your friends in Hollywood. They can help you with this part.

Sincerely,
Your Favorite Sheeple

PS. I can arrange all this for you at a low fee of $10,000 per politician.

Message to RPF:

Think I should charge more for having to deal with politicians all day?

acptulsa
12-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Think I should charge more for having to deal with politicians all day?

Down these parts, we call that a PITA charge. That would be an acronym for Pain In The Ass.

But if you have to shoot McCain, Graham, Feinstein or any of several others, you should also have a surcharge for your special shatterproof camera.

DamianTV
12-14-2013, 04:09 PM
We could make it even cheaper by requiring all those portraits to be a "Selfie".