PDA

View Full Version : ZERO Senate Republicans support Paul Ryan Budget Deal...

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 07:26 AM
A landmark budget agreement that passed in the U.S. House on Thursday faces certain death in the Senate unless at least five Republicans step up to support it – but so far there are no takers at all.

The GOP's Senate leaders plan to launch a procedural effort to kill the plan over a laundry list of objections – including a claim that it short-changes military veterans and other government retirees.

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin conceded that he needs to find Republicans who will vote for the measure after Republicans announced their intention Thursday night to block the deal.

'We need Republican votes to pass the budget agreement, period,' Durbin told reporters on Thursday. 'We need at least five. And I’m hoping that there will be more than that.'

Durbin, an Illinois Democrat and the third-most powerful Senate leader, acknowledged that 'there are not five Republicans who have announced they’re for it.'

In fact, no Republican senators have publicly said that they will vote in favor of the agreement that Republican Rep. Paul Ryan and Democratic Sen. Patty Murray unveiled Tuesday evening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523120/ZERO-Senate-Republicans-support-budget-agreement-Democrats-five.html

Origanalist
12-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Sooooo....we are counting on Senate republicans to kill a budget agreement agreed to by the House?

AngryCanadian
12-13-2013, 07:42 AM
I wonder how the poster child Ted Cruz our Canadian boy is going to vote on it. Self thought (I would assume that Ted Supports Harper to)

This should be interesting.

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I wonder how the poster child Ted Cruz our Canadian boy is going to vote on it. Self thought (I would assume that Ted Supports Harper to)

This should be interesting.

From the article in the OP: "The proposal 'spends more, taxes more, and allows continued funding for Obamacare,' Cruz said Thursday. 'I cannot support it.'"

Additionally: http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=720

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Sooooo....we are counting on Senate republicans to kill a budget agreement agreed to by the House?

Honestly, I am surprised that McCain, Graham, Collins, et al are not supporting it.

Varin
12-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Honestly, I am surprised that McCain, Graham, Collins, et al are not supporting it.

They don't need to it will pass with dem votes I assume.

Origanalist
12-13-2013, 08:08 AM

It does seem to be a rather bizzaro world scenario.

Origanalist
12-13-2013, 08:38 AM
JEFF SESSIONS: SENATE GOP TO FILIBUSTER PAUL RYAN'S BUDGET DEAL

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the ranking GOP member of the Senate Budget Committee, said Thursday that Senate Republicans plan to filibuster the budget deal that House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) cut with Senate Budget Committee chairwoman Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA).
The deal passed the House 332-94, with 62 Republicans and 32 Democrats voting against it. The bill is expected to come up for votes in the Senate early next week, either Monday or Tuesday.
The type of filibuster Sessions spoke of is not the traditional “talking filibuster” like the one Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) launched earlier this year to protest Attorney General Eric Holder and President Barack Obama’s drone policies. It is a procedural filibuster, The Hill reports, that would require Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to at least twice obtain 60 votes to pass the bill.
“They’ll need 60 votes on cloture and 60 votes on the budget point of order,” Sessions said, according to The Hill.
Since there are only 55 Democrats in the U.S. Senate, Reid will twice need at least five Republicans to break from their party and support the budget deal. Reid may need more Republicans if liberals like Sens. Tom Harkin (D-IA) or Bernie Sanders (I-VT) oppose the deal because it does not extend unemployment benefits. Considering 32 Democrats voted against the deal in the House, it seems plausible Reid may lose at least one, maybe two Democrats in the Senate.
Senate Republicans largely seem unified against the bill. As of late Thursday, not one Senate Republican confirmed suppot of the plan.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/12/Sessions-Senate-GOP-to-filibuster-Paul-Ryan-s-budget-deal

Madison320
12-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Real spending increases now in return for fantasy cuts in the future. What else is new.

Ronin Truth
12-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Back to the drawing board for a more popular sell-out.

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 09:18 AM
They don't need to it will pass with dem votes I assume.

It needs 60 to pass. The Dems need 5 GOP votes, assuming all Dems are on board.

ClydeCoulter
12-13-2013, 09:24 AM
So, how much more debt/spending will need to be in the bill to get 5 republicans to vote for it?

T.hill
12-13-2013, 03:35 PM
One real possibility for why Republican senators are so united in opposition to this bill is because Mtch is actually whipping this one and maybe Rand has somethin to do with it.

Anti Federalist
12-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Ayotte will, you watch.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
JEFF SESSIONS: SENATE GOP TO FILIBUSTER PAUL RYAN'S BUDGET DEAL

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the ranking GOP member of the Senate Budget Committee, said Thursday that Senate Republicans plan to filibuster the budget deal that House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) cut with Senate Budget Committee chairwoman Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA).
The deal passed the House 332-94, with 62 Republicans and 32 Democrats voting against it. The bill is expected to come up for votes in the Senate early next week, either Monday or Tuesday.
The type of filibuster Sessions spoke of is not the traditional “talking filibuster” like the one Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) launched earlier this year to protest Attorney General Eric Holder and President Barack Obama’s drone policies. It is a procedural filibuster, The Hill reports, that would require Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to at least twice obtain 60 votes to pass the bill.
“They’ll need 60 votes on cloture and 60 votes on the budget point of order,” Sessions said, according to The Hill.
Since there are only 55 Democrats in the U.S. Senate, Reid will twice need at least five Republicans to break from their party and support the budget deal. Reid may need more Republicans if liberals like Sens. Tom Harkin (D-IA) or Bernie Sanders (I-VT) oppose the deal because it does not extend unemployment benefits. Considering 32 Democrats voted against the deal in the House, it seems plausible Reid may lose at least one, maybe two Democrats in the Senate.
Senate Republicans largely seem unified against the bill. As of late Thursday, not one Senate Republican confirmed suppot of the plan.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/12/Sessions-Senate-GOP-to-filibuster-Paul-Ryan-s-budget-deal

Sessions has been pretty good lately. He may be a good choice to replace McConnell as leader.

erowe1
12-13-2013, 04:04 PM
It needs 60 to pass.

Why is that?

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
They are only one vote short... four RINOs have already said they will vote with the Democrats.

With 53 Democrats and two independents expected to back the measure, four Republicans — John McCain of Arizona, Susan Collins of Maine, Jeff Flake of Arizona and Richard Burr of North Carolina — said that they would vote to cut off debate on the budget, putting proponents just one vote shy of advancing the measure to final passage.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/senate-budget-deal-vote-101127.html

Dianne
12-13-2013, 05:25 PM

They are probably upset Ryan didn't include another unemployment extension .... you know those democrats.

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
They are only one vote short... four RINOs have already said they will vote with the Democrats.

Flake has been a HUGE disappointment.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2013, 05:42 PM

He is a liar. He needs to come clean and just put that (D) next to his name.

CaptLouAlbano
12-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Why is that?

Sessions plans to launch a procedural filibuster, so they will need 60 for cloture and to pass.

helmuth_hubener
01-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Agreed.