PDA

View Full Version : Why I’ve dropped the democrats. My reasons for Ron Paul.

RonPaulFTFW
11-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm in my late 20s.
I don't believe in god or organized religion. I see it as an affront to individuality and human progression.

I don't support the war, family values, or the idea that immigration and gays are going to destroy our country. I have marched for Nader, the abolishment of the death penalty, against the corruption of the School of the Americas, and rallied against the power of the WTO and the world bank.

I immediately distrust all authority, the federal government most of all.
I'm very "liberal", left wing, and even extreme in some of my social views.

So why am I abandoning the Democratic party and putting all my support behind a 70 year old Republican grandfather from Texas? A man who I don't even completely agree with on all the issues? (For instance, he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, not because he wants to ban abortion, but because he thinks all the states should decide on a local level.) I'm changing my allegiance because he is a leader that I've been told about all my life and never actually seen. A public figure who I can lookup to for his intelligence, integrity, and authenticity. A person who takes his job as a public servant seriously and can be respected as a true leader. When was the last time you had thoughts like those about a politician?

I grew up in the shadow of Ronald Reagan and in recent years some people have waxed nostalgic over his role as president. Personally, I've always seen him as a sham. He promoted racist policies, locked us into NAFTA, ignored A.I.D.S, and backed some of the most burtal military operations our country has ever known (or not known about) in South America. He wasn't a great man and none of the men who have followed him have been any better.....though some have been much worse. And even though I follow and care about politics I have a hard time finding a candidate who I can actually be excited about.

Nothing on the "left" right now even comes close to his level of intensity and passion, save for Kucinich. (I think Kucinich is a great leader too, but sadly, he doesn't have the clarity and ability to promote his message like Dr. Ron Paul and is being hamstringed by his own party.)

I think because of the wanton rape and abuse of our country at the hands of Bush and the neo-cons we have reached a special place in history where we really can reach people and create change. The reeling and confused Republican party is not the place I would look for salvation, but there it is. A loving and intelligent man who deserves to be listened too. Authority that can be respected.

I respond to that, and to the ideals that i've always been told that america SHOULD stand for and never has in my lifetime.

ZenX
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Damn, I should copy and paste that around and sign my name. You must be my long-lost twin. I'm with you 110% for the very same reasons and beliefs.

RonPaulFTFW
11-29-2007, 01:18 AM
glad to hear it brother!

Corydoras
11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Ralph Nader just wrote this on his own blog about Dr. Paul

It's a great quote, but it's from a satirical website:
http://www.newsgroper.com/ralph-nader/

user
11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
I have views similar to yours, and we may be outnumbered by conservatives in the Ron Paul movement but so what right? Let's win.

trispear
11-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the movement.

robert4rp08
11-29-2007, 11:39 PM
welcome aboard the liberty express! woo woo!

werdd
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm in my late 20s.
I don't believe in god or organized religion. I see it as an affront to individuality and human progression.

I don't support the war, family values, or the idea that immigration and gays are going to destroy our country. I have marched for Nader, the abolishment of the death penalty, against the corruption of the School of the Americas, and rallied against the power of the WTO and the world bank.

So why am I abandoning the Democratic party and putting all my support behind a 70 year old Republican grandfather from Texas? A man who I don't even completely agree with on all the issues? (For instance, he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, not because he wants to ban abortion, but because he thinks all the states should decide on a local level.) I'm changing my allegiance because he is a leader that I've been told about all my life and never actually seen. A public figure who I can lookup to for his intelligence, integrity, and authenticity. A person who takes his job as a public servant seriously and can be respected as a true leader. When was the last time you had thoughts like those about a politician?

I grew up in the shadow of Ronald Reagan and in recent years some people have waxed nostalgic over his role as president. Personally, I've always seen him as a sham. He promoted racist policies, locked us into NAFTA, ignored A.I.D.S, and backed some of the most burtal military operations our country has ever known (or not known about) in South America. He wasn't a great man and none of the men who have followed him have been any better.....though some have been much worse. And even though I follow and care about politics I have a hard time finding a candidate who I can actually be excited about.

But don't take my word for it. Ralph Nader just wrote this on his own blog about Dr. Paul:

"I think we can all agree that Washington is like the inflamed colon after 20 years without even a flake of Raisin Bran. What it needs is a Ron Paul enema — let's let it run through the system, clean everything out — You wouldn't get an enema every day — but we need one right now."

Nothing on the "left" right now even comes close to his level of intensity and passion, save for Kucinich. (I think Kucinich is a great leader too, but sadly, he doesn't have the clarity and ability to promote his message like Dr. Ron Paul and is being hamstringed by his own party.)

I think because of the wanton rape and abuse of our country at the hands of Bush and the neo-cons we have reached a special place in history where we really can reach people and create change. The reeling and confused Republican party is not the place I would look for salvation, but there it is. A loving and intelligent man who deserves to be listened too. Authority that can be respected.

I respond to that, and to the ideals that i've always been told that america SHOULD stand for and never has in my lifetime.

Right on man, glad to have you onboard, i have several friends that are like you, but are still shilling for the dem pundit's like good citizens :/

amonasro
11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Welcome aboard, i'm glad you were able to look past the Repulican label. Many of my liberal friends cannot.

RPFTW!
11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Welcome and oh yes, ron paul ftw!

RonPaulFTFW
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys.

BuddyRey
11-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm in my late 20s.

But don't take my word for it. Ralph Nader just wrote this on his own blog about Dr. Paul:

"I think we can all agree that Washington is like the inflamed colon after 20 years without even a flake of Raisin Bran. What it needs is a Ron Paul enema — let's let it run through the system, clean everything out — You wouldn't get an enema every day — but we need one right now."

You wouldn't even believe how much I can identify with these sentiments, because I was in the exact same place several months ago. Disenfranchised with the Dems, I really supported RP at first just out of spite for the Dems, by whom I felt horribly betrayed on the war-funding bill. Now, the more I listen to and study him, the more I realize it's GOT to be RP, or bust!!! I registered GOP and haven't looked back since!

Micahyah
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Pretty much the same thing goes for me as the original poster. I'm in my late 20s, always have been a democrat, Kucinich is probably the closest to me as far as a bunch of issues, except for the fact that I do not trust government in the least, and I respect Paul for giving clear, Constiutional principles and reasons for his stance on issues, even when I don't agree with them.

RonPaulFTFW
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
It's great to know that so many people with different ideals can unite for the simple cause of fixing our nation.