PDA

View Full Version : CNN Last question - Was it a set up?

LBT
11-29-2007, 01:10 AM
The guy who asked the loaded question was Mark Strauss of Devenport, Iowa.

His question (straight out of the MSM current playbook) was:

Mr. Paul, I think we both know that the Republican party is never going to give you the nomination. But I'm hoping that you're crazy like a fox like that and you're using this exposure to propel yourself into an independent run.

My question is for Ron Paul: Mr. Paul, are you going to let America down by not running as an independent?

He fitted 'can't win', 'crazy' and 'independent run' into one question. If it wasn't a set up, it is still a disgrace for CNN to choose this question over the hundreds of fair and intelligent questions.

It turns out that he also was chosen to submit a question for the Democratic CNN - Youtube debate. (relationship ?) or is he just good at putting up questions that CNN will like.

He made some news a while back when he kicked Mitt Romney off his property, because Mitt didn't show enough respect to the UN.

Here is an article on him:
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/07/24//news/local/doc46a585722db70801242162.txt

Hope the sleuths can track this down as see if there is any more to it.

Start digging...I smell a rat.

Energy
11-29-2007, 01:14 AM
There's no way out of 5,000 questions that Mark Strauss would be chosen twice.

Time to crack our knuckles and tear this "debate" apart.

Ron LOL
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Everybody asks this damn question. RP has probably been asked this question 20 times on CNN alone. You'd thin they'dve gotten the message by now, but no...

Energy
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Everybody asks this damn question. RP has probably been asked this question 20 times on CNN alone. You'd thin they'dve gotten the message by now, but no...

Someone should make a youtube vid of ALL the times he's been asked that.

Brad Zink
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM
The question is a psyop, but Dr. Paul knocked it out of the park!

Edward
11-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Everybody asks this damn question. RP has probably been asked this question 20 times on CNN alone. You'd thin they'dve gotten the message by now, but no...Let them ask. It means that they think Paul has some pull with the electorate!

LibertyOfOne
Someone should make a youtube vid of ALL the times he's been asked that.

That would be an instant hit. It would show how the mainstream is trying to make Paul look like a spoiler.

justinc.1089
You know the first time I saw these youtube debates advertised I said they're only doing it so that they can have an excuse if they get caught asking questions they want to ask, but couldn't ask without having a way out of it.

In other words if they want to be tough to one person, and soft on another, they can't do it but to a certain degree if they're supposed to be fair. But if they're "randomly choosing" questions from different topics from random people then they can ask whatever they want, and say they weren't the one asking the question if they're caught or something.

It goes back to the only thing I really learned from being in journalism in highschool which is:

Any media distorts facts to as close as to the way they want them to be as much as they can get away with, and after they do their audience almost always takes it as fact.

I mean thats just how media works period. Its logical and sensible, and it happens intentionally or unintentionally.

I agree that person probably is asking questions CNN wants asked, and they're purposely choosing them. It makes perfect sense to me that could be happening.

dircha
11-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Let's forget this debate. Take our man's clips and move on.

We are bypassing these mainstream media shills.

The money we have worked so hard to raise and reached so deep for is going to be funding an advertising onslaught, direct and unfiltered to the people in their homes, through the entire month of December in the critical early states.

We are going to get double digits in 4 of the 5 early states.

AggieforPaul
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
If he breaks double digits nationally, I hope he reconsiders. Perot managed a respectable run.

justinc.1089

Well with the Democratic questions wouldn't it be like 7,000-8,000 actually?

And yeah Paul did great with the question, actually phenomenal. Usually I think off responses too right away, and Paul usually gets equally good responses to what I think of, although he thinks of things to say I don't and vice versa, but he totally beat what I would have said for that one lol!

I loved how he mentioned how we raised 4.3 million dollars in one day too, that was awesome.

literatim
Ron Paul is too smart for them.

JordanL
11-29-2007, 01:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/nexpres <-- Mark Strauss' Youtube Account...

He appears to actually just be one of the fringe "outside the system" people who doesn't just want a liberty base government but also wants to "stick it to the man".

Here's his website:

http://my-america.biz/

I found his address and phoen number as well but I'm not going to post them.

chestertime
11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
The question was fair. Half the people here (if not more) want him to run third party. He's always maintained he wouldn't. If the grassroots haven't picked up on that reality how can you blame the MSM for not doing so?

margomaps
11-29-2007, 01:29 AM
It turns out that he also was chosen to submit a question for the Democratic CNN - Youtube debate. (relationship ?) or is he just good at putting up questions that CNN will like.

He made some news a while back when he kicked Mitt Romney off his property, because Mitt didn't show enough respect to the UN.

Here is an article on him:
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007...0801242162.txt

Hope the sleuths can track this down as see if there is any more to it.

Very interesting indeed! I find it implausible that this guy is a "real" Ron Paul supporter as he claimed he was in the post-debate interview. The only issues we know he cares about are:

1) Government funding for alzheimer's research
2) Likes UN involvement (specifically in Iraq)

If he paid attention to Dr. Paul for 10 minutes, he'd know that Ron is against federal government spending on just about everything -- including medical research (though it's low on his list of things to get rid of I'm sure). And he certainly would know that Ron is highly critical of the UN, and in fact wants the US out of the UN.

mavtek
11-29-2007, 01:29 AM
You know, some people here don't believe the media is out to get us. I'm sorry I keep trying to believe there is no conspiracy against Dr. Paul, I really do. I see similar things happening to Dennis Kucinich on the dem side. How do we still believe that there is no conspiracy or out right attempt to slaughter us?

Seriously, the media isn't just ignoring us, they are attacking Ron and us.

I must say if the Gandhi's saying holds true, we're in good shape, if only the people realize it in time.

dircha
11-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Because I think it's just about the very bottom of the barrel of journalistic integrity to choose a question designed to "remind" the audience, "Congressman Paul, since we all know that you can't possibly win this nomination...".

This, after choosing a question designed to suggest to the audience that Congressman Paul and his supporters are kooks.

The same was done with the Kucinich UFO question.

F3d
11-29-2007, 01:30 AM

Mark Rushmore
11-29-2007, 01:33 AM
The man's using the last name "Strauss" for God's sake.

UtahApocalypse
11-29-2007, 01:37 AM
You know, some people here don't believe the media is out to get us. I'm sorry I keep trying to believe there is no conspiracy against Dr. Paul, I really do. I see similar things happening to Dennis Kucinich on the dem side. How do we still believe that there is no conspiracy or out right attempt to slaughter us?

Seriously, the media isn't just ignoring us, they are attacking Ron and us.

I must say if the Gandhi's saying holds true, we're in good shape, if only the people realize it in time.

You know in the previous debates I was frustrated. I still bought into the MSM excuse that Ron Paul was not that well known, was polling low, and did not have a cash flow....

Tonight though I see that the MSM is truly out to stop Ron Paul, He now is polling higher then the second tier candidates, he has more money then them, and likely more cash on hand then ANY, yet he still had less time them McCain and Huckabee? Now if this isent showing a absolute pure bias by the media nothing is. I called comcast and am disconnecting my cable, I also will be writing all of the sponsors from any MSM outlets.

Energy
11-29-2007, 01:39 AM
I am glad this question was asked because it opened the floodgates for Ron's brilliance.

But choosing 2 of Mark Strauss' questions from THOUSANDS is a huge red flag and should at least wake up some average voters out there. They need to be called on it.

Let's get this on digg, reddit and others.

lastnymleft
11-29-2007, 01:49 AM
The question was fair. Half the people here (if not more) want him to run third party. He's always maintained he wouldn't.

Not correct. If you listen to his answers to the 20+ times he's been asked it, he's very careful with what he says. He uses the phrases "That's not my intention" and "I have no plans to do that". And he's probably telling the truth. But that's quite different to saying "I won't do that." He's leaving open the possibility to be 'drafted' by this movement to go right through. He doesn't want to say it just yet, because he obviously isn't sure that he would have enough support as an independent to get across the line.

I, for one, have no intention of letting him stop, even if he doesn't get the GOP nomination. We CAN get him across the line. He just needs to have some faith in us.

Personally, I wish he'd just put an end to the speculation, and come right on out and say "If I don't get the nomination, it means that you (GOP) have lost touch with your original base, and reality. More than 70% of this country wants out of Iraq, so how do you expect to win running on a platform of expansion? I'm going to run as an independent, and when I do, I will win, because I will take not only the Republican base, but many Democrats as well. In any case, it'll be either Hillary or myself that will win, it WON'T be the GOP. So you'd be better off to just give me the nomination now, so at least you can have someone in power nominally under the GOP ticket."

Menthol Patch
11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
That question was indeed a setup.

yaz
11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
what concerned me is they call ahmadinejad "crazy as a fox" and "wily" so he was also compairing ahmadinejad to ron paul.

ProfNo
11-29-2007, 02:05 AM
"If I don't get the nomination, it means that you (GOP) have lost touch with your original base, and reality. More than 70% of this country wants out of Iraq, so how do you expect to win running on a platform of expansion? I'm going to run as an independent, and when I do, I will win, because I will take not only the Republican base, but many Democrats as well. In any case, it'll be either Hillary or myself that will win, it WON'T be the GOP. So you'd be better off to just give me the nomination now, so at least you can have someone in power nominally under the GOP ticket."

This is exactly what Ron Paul should say in a perfect world. I, too, would not let him stop...look what we will have to choose from if he does...

On the other hand, the world is not perfect and people are not smart enough to understand such a blatantly obvious and true statement (if they were, they would all be Ron Paul supporters).

Therefore, Ron Paul is probability doing the right thing...

jlink7
11-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Personally, I wish he'd just put an end to the speculation, and come right on out and say "If I don't get the nomination, it means that you (GOP) have lost touch with your original base, and reality. More than 70% of this country wants out of Iraq, so how do you expect to win running on a platform of expansion? I'm going to run as an independent, and when I do, I will win, because I will take not only the Republican base, but many Democrats as well. In any case, it'll be either Hillary or myself that will win, it WON'T be the GOP. So you'd be better off to just give me the nomination now, so at least you can have someone in power nominally under the GOP ticket."

When/if he does run his 3rd party campaign, this is exactly the attitude I think he should take when he announces that he's still running.

Ron LOL
11-29-2007, 02:10 AM
If Ron Paul were to run as a third party, I think it would pretty much mark the end of the GOP as we know it. There's already a large number of us calling ourselves "Ron Paul republicans."

By the time of the general election, I think RP would just a little bit better than split the republican vote...and pull over some dems, too. It would probably be a 50-30-20 finish in the popular vote.

I don't understand the GOP strategy here. They basically have to nominate Ron Paul if they want a chance at winning. There's no choice. The support from our grassroots is, as an article pointed out recently, non-transferrable. And the campaign is only growing.

Magsec
11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
It's strange, the guy who gave the question said he was an Independent and is angry he can't do jack squat in the GOP primary. He wants to vote for RP in a general election when the Independents "have a chance to actually do something".

Personally, I think he should be spending his energy converting Republicans instead of whining about something RP has done before and has no intention of doing again. He can try degrading RP all he wants while stuffing his conscience in the deepest recesses of his mind.

James R
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
"We need Americans [...] not [...a] Republican."
- Mark Strauss, Davenport, IA
http://www.my-america.biz/

"There is no reason that we have to get stuck with [...] the Republicans. [...] We need to get some real Americans in there [in the senate and congress]."
http://www.watchlocalvideos.com/watch-53486.htm

Nash
11-29-2007, 02:15 AM
If he breaks double digits nationally, I hope he reconsiders. Perot managed a respectable run.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, if the goal is just to spread the message then a 3rd party run is a great way to do it IF he can get into the debates.

If his goal is to win then there is no point in running 3rd party. He will have no chance of winning. None. Zero. Even if he gets a plurality of votes he won't get enough electoral votes and it will get tossed into the house and we know how they are gonna vote.

I'll support him if he runs 3rd party and I'll give him money if he does so and I'll campaign but I will have no illusions that he will do anything other than sway the debate assuming he's included in them.

Of course the alternative is simply not voting so I guess it's better than nothing.

James R
11-29-2007, 02:16 AM
"Mark Strauss, 49, was galvanized into making political videos last fall, after getting into an argument about the war in Iraq and the need for United Nations involvement"
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/07/24//news/local/doc46a585722db70801242162.txt

yaz
11-29-2007, 02:17 AM
it's called sore-loser laws

user
11-29-2007, 02:18 AM
If it goes that far, we'll need to make sure we have support from the three biggest third parties. I think we already have the endorsement of the Constitution Party. I hope the LP will be able to endorse RP as well. The Greens are supposed to favor decentralization so if they can put their differences aside, we can all work together to take on the two-party Establishment.

Ron LOL
11-29-2007, 02:28 AM
If it goes that far, we'll need to make sure we have support from the three biggest third parties. I think we already have the endorsement of the Constitution Party. I hope the LP will be able to endorse RP as well. The Greens are supposed to favor decentralization so if they can put their differences aside, we can all work together to take on the two-party Establishment.

I kind of like this idea. And I don't think it's that far-fetched. I think even Greens could be motivated to do this as a protest vote kind of thing...a unique chance to get an independent in to the highest office in the land.

Think12345
11-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Greens' position.
http://www.grist.org/feature/2007/10/16/paul/
There is a very nice interview with Dr. Paul, too.

user
11-29-2007, 02:36 AM
I kind of like this idea. And I don't think it's that far-fetched. I think even Greens could be motivated to do this as a protest vote kind of thing...a unique chance to get an independent in to the highest office in the land.
You know, maybe we should be reaching out to Greens right now by pointing out that RP won't stop state-level programs. I have no idea what most Greens think about RP right now.

Then it would just be a matter of convincing those three parties not to nominate somebody else.

user
11-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Greens' position.
http://www.grist.org/feature/2007/10/16/paul/
There is a very nice interview with Dr. Paul, too.
Thanks for that link. I think we can guess some of the positions they might be uncomfortable with at first. We may not have time to explain private property fully, so it may be best to stick with decentralization and letting the states do what they want. I hope the Greens take their own platform seriously when it comes to decentralization.

Blowback
11-29-2007, 02:56 AM
set up.... for a home run

tremendoustie
11-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Paul's position on property rights related to pollution, that if I pollute your property I should have to compensate you for it, would be absolutely terrific from an environmentalist standpoint. If the greens really thought about the implications of this policy, it should be enough to get them on board.

user
11-29-2007, 03:03 AM
Paul's position on property rights related to pollution, that if I pollute your property I should have to compensate you for it, would be absolutely terrific from an environmentalist standpoint. If the greens really thought about the implications of this policy, it should be enough to get them on board.
I agree, but from reading the comments on that page, apparently it takes a while to be understood fully. That's why I think focusing on civil liberties, the war, and states' rights would be faster.

Also I think Greens are against nuclear power, and RP is for it. Someone mentioned that nuclear power is subsidized with federal insurance now, and if that is stopped I think the cost of private insurance could be high enough to make nuclear power prohibitively expensive. So in a way, we're against nuclear too.

Suzu
11-29-2007, 03:25 AM
choosing 2 of Mark Strauss' questions from THOUSANDS is a huge red flag and should at least wake up some average voters out there.

The "average voters out there" are mostly dumb as piles of rocks and will never know this.

all J's in IL for RP
11-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Someone might wish to tell this Mark Strauss that he has until the day of the caucus Jan 3rd to re-register as a Republican so that he may actually vote for Paul. But somehow I think he already knows this.

BeFranklin
11-29-2007, 06:03 AM

With the gay guy plant, I'd say the whole thing was fixed.

johngr
11-29-2007, 06:50 AM
The question is a psyop, but Dr. Paul knocked it out of the park!

He probably expected it.

johngr
11-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Not correct. If you listen to his answers to the 20+ times he's been asked it, he's very careful with what he says. He uses the phrases "That's not my intention" and "I have no plans to do that". And he's probably telling the truth. But that's quite different to saying "I won't do that." He's leaving open the possibility to be 'drafted' by this movement to go right through. He doesn't want to say it just yet, because he obviously isn't sure that he would have enough support as an independent to get across the line.

I, for one, have no intention of letting him stop, even if he doesn't get the GOP nomination. We CAN get him across the line. He just needs to have some faith in us.

That's what he should say if he loses the GOP nomination. Saying that before the primaries undermines his (now very good) chances of winning the nomination and ultimately having a much better chance at winning the election.

Tim724
11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
It is truly idiotic the way this question about a 3rd party run is repeated over and over by the MSM. The one slightly redeeming thing about it this time was the ending sentence:

"Mr. Paul, are you going to let America down by not running as an independent? "

That sentence was very flatering.

But I agree that something smells fishy with this question and Mark Strauss.

The simplest theory is that CNN is pro-Hillary so they are trying to promote Dr Paul to run 3rd party to split the conservative vote.

user
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
While I was watching the debate, I suspected it was a plant because he kept saying, "Mr. Paul" instead of "Dr. Paul". I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but I've noticed most RP supporters call him "Dr. Paul".

Ron Paul Fan
11-29-2007, 08:25 AM
It was most definitely a setup. But what it did was allow Congressman Paul to show off how well his campaign is doing. There's a revolution going on in this country and it's big! So the CNN plant question allowed him to hit a homerun to end the debate.

ItsTime
11-29-2007, 08:49 AM
news flash... all the questions were hand picked by CNN and given to the candidates BEFORE the debate.

AlabamaWildMan
11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
"...didn't show enough respect to the UN..."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/Alabama_Wild_Man/aa0f3172.jpg?t=1196351452

..there now....

...isn't that better ?!?