PDA

View Full Version : Researchers Discover Possible 'Vaccine' for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

green73
12-12-2013, 08:37 AM
It's a breakthrough that could help thousands of American soldiers returning from dangerous deployments. Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology believe they may have discovered a way to create a vaccine that could prevent post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"What it's going to do is that they'll still have perfectly strong memories of the event. They just won't have the bad health consequences," said Ki Goosens, an assistant professor of neuroscience with the McGovern Institute for Brain Research.

The key is a lesser-known hormone produced by the stomach called ghrelin.

"One of the really interesting things about ghrelin that was sort of unexpected...was that the background levels of ghrelin go up if an organism has experienced a period of prolonged stress," Goosens said. "So the more stressed you are, the more ghrelin your stomach will churn out and so in that regard, it's a stress hormone."

During experiments, researchers found rats given a drug to stimulate ghrelin levels became more susceptible to fear -- but by blocking the receptors, the researchers reduced fear.

"We have a rat model of PTSD and what we show is that rats who've had a prolonged exposure to stress are more likely to have very strong fear memories when they encounter some sort of trauma and that's the same kind of relationship between stress and trauma that we see in people," said Goosens."Our work actually suggests that if you knew somebody was going to be potentially exposed to a trauma, then putting them on a drug that could actually block ghrelin might actually lower the incidence of things like post-traumatic stress disorder, or depression."

MIT researchers are now working on a clinical trial in collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH).

cont.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24202293/mit-researchers-discover-possible-vaccine-for-post-traumatic-stress-disorder

pcosmar
12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I can't see anything good in this.

More Super Soldier drugs. :(
Aggressive, Fearless and Mindless. Emotionless Killers.

Coming to a Police Force near you

belian78
12-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Didn't read it but I can see it now, lobotomy in a syringe.

moostraks
12-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Funny that's what I was thinking. So now there is no reason to worry about what repercussions may occur from these endless wars as big pharma has a cure for that. Sign those recruitment papers and become robo-human. As if many of these soldiers aren't soulless enough...

donnay
12-12-2013, 09:22 AM

That is an understatement.

Hegelian Dialectic: Problem, reaction--solution. God help us!

Acala
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm sure there will be no side effects from interfering with a fundamental hormonal function.

roho76
12-12-2013, 09:31 AM
It like they're trying to create problems.

belian78
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Funny that's what I was thinking. So now there is no reason to worry about what repercussions may occur from these endless wars as big pharma has a cure for that. Sign those recruitment papers and become robo-human. As if many of these soldiers aren't soulless enough...
Well, the way I can see it panning out is like this. Shoot em up before they go active to suppress a human's natural reaction to killing, and if that doesn't work, give em the lobotomy shot once they come back stateside. Can't have those oathkeeper types being able to help their fellow mundanes now can we?

donnay
12-12-2013, 09:35 AM
It like they're deliberately trying to create problems.

FIFY

Origanalist
12-12-2013, 09:37 AM
More major future fail. :(

pcosmar
12-12-2013, 09:46 AM
It like they're trying to create problems.

It has been proven over and over again that Big Pharma and the Psyche Industry have no morals nor ethics.

This is more proof that a program started in the 50's and allegedly ended in the 70's,, has never actually ended.

Original_Intent
12-12-2013, 09:52 AM
The vaccine that would prevent the most PTSD is one that kills politicians.

phill4paul
12-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey, at least they don't perform lobotomies to "cure" PTSD anymore......

The U.S. government lobotomized roughly 2,000 mentally ill veterans—and likely hundreds more—during and after World War II, according to a cache of forgotten memos, letters and government reports unearthed by The Wall Street Journal. Besieged by psychologically damaged troops returning from the battlefields of North Africa, Europe and the Pacific, the Veterans Administration performed the brain-altering operation on former servicemen it diagnosed as depressives, psychotics and schizophrenics, and occasionally on people identified as homosexuals.

http://projects.wsj.com/lobotomyfiles/?ch=one&mg=inert-wsj

PaulConventionWV
12-12-2013, 10:09 AM
If it's a vaccine, then that means it's good, because anything the scientific community calls a vaccine must be good. Vaccines save millions of lives, dontcha know. Doubtless, this will just add more millions to the lives saved... then yay!

moostraks
12-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Well, the way I can see it panning out is like this. Shoot em up before they go active to suppress a human's natural reaction to killing, and if that doesn't work, give em the lobotomy shot once they come back stateside. Can't have those oathkeeper types being able to help their fellow mundanes now can we?
Exactly!!! As horrible as PTSD is those emotions are what make people human and give them the ability to take the experiences and show society what we are doing with our war culture is disfunctional. They will bill this as a breakthrough for the military but likely expand this as necessary for the general population as our culture becomes more violent re: police brutality and the like and its psych damages left on the populace. Instead of dealing with the circumstances that are affecting PTSD sufferers we will just cut out their feelings much as we do with ssri drugs.

moostraks
12-12-2013, 11:54 AM
If it's a vaccine, then that means it's good, because anything the scientific community calls a vaccine must be good. Vaccines save millions of lives, dontcha know. Doubtless, this will just add more millions to the lives saved... then yay!

Wonder who'll be in charge of seeing what type of side effects there are admitted, if any. Hmmm...let me think.

shane77m
12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Best way to make future police officers. Will go perfectly with the no hesitation targets.

angelatc
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM

I think a lobotomy makes more sense. Here I thought it was the conscience that was giving these guys nightmares and worse.

Cap
12-12-2013, 12:03 PM
We are headed to a society where the controlling entity of government will not longer be burdened with a conscience. They will all be sociopaths. This is pure hell on earth.

JK/SEA
12-12-2013, 01:40 PM
i think we all know what the cure for PTSD is with regards to the military.

PRB
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
causing autism to counter act PTSD, what a genius idea, whudda thunk that?

DamianTV
12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
i think we all know what the cure for PTSD is with regards to the military.

Yeah, stop giving orders to shoot Innocents.

As far as PTSD itself, there already exists an effective natural treatment. Pot.

---

Slightly off topic, but perhaps the PTSD itself is caused by Drugs and amplified by the Situations they face? Think they wouldnt put secret shit in their flu shots? In their Food? An Army marches on its stomach, and that dependancy keeps them controlled.