PDA

View Full Version : Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drun

noneedtoaggress
12-12-2013, 08:33 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/affluenza-defense-probation-for-deadly-dwi_n_4430807.html

Video at the link.

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A North Texas teen from an affluent family received a probation-only sentence this week for losing control of his pickup truck while drunk and killing four pedestrians, a punishment that has outraged the victims' families and left prosecutors disappointed.

The 16-year-old boy was sentenced Tuesday in a Fort Worth juvenile court to 10 years of probation after he confessed to intoxication manslaughter in the June 15 crash on a dark rural road.

Prosecutors had sought the maximum 20 years in state custody for the Keller teen, but his attorneys appealed to state District Judge Jean Boyd that he needed rehabilitation instead of imprisonment, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (http://bit.ly/1f8GnvQ ) reported.

Authorities said the teen and friends were seen on surveillance video stealing two cases of beer from a store. He had seven passengers in his Ford F-350, was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, according to testimony during the trial. His pickup truck slammed into the four pedestrians, killing Brian Jennings, 43-year-old Burleson youth minister; Breanna Mitchell of Lillian, 24; Shelby Boyles, 21, and her 52-year-old mother, Hollie Boyles.

If the boy, who is from an affluent family, continued to be cushioned by his family's wealth and another tragedy is likely in his future, prosecutor Richard Alpert said in court.

"There can be no doubt that he will be in another courthouse one day blaming the lenient treatment he received here," he said.

Boyd said the programs available in the Texas juvenile justice system may not provide the kind of intensive therapy the teen could receive at a rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif., that was suggested by his defense attorneys. The parents would pick up the tab for the center, which runs more than $450,000 a year for treatment.

Scott Brown, the boy's lead defense attorney, said the teen could have been freed after two years if he had drawn the 20-year sentence.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he told the Star-Telegram.

Survivors of those killed in the accident drew little comfort from that assurance.

Eric Boyles lost his wife and daughter, and said the family's wealth helped the teen avoid incarceration.

"Money always seems to keep you out of trouble," Boyles said. "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If you had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."

Shaunna Jennings, the widow of the minister, said her family had forgiven the teen but believed a sterner punishment was needed.

"You lived a life of privilege and entitlement, and my prayer is that it does not get you out of this," she said. "My fear is that it will get you out of this."

A psychologist called as an expert defense witness said the boy suffered from "affluenza," growing up in a house where parents were preoccupied with arguments with each other that led to a divorce.

The father "does not have relationships, he takes hostages," psychologist Gary Miller said, and the mother was indulgent. "Her mantra was that if it feels good, do it," he said.

Origanalist
12-12-2013, 08:40 AM
He should apply for a police job, he's perfect.

phill4paul
12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
He should apply for a police job, he's perfect.

Naw, $350k a year is peanuts to this scion.

belian78
12-12-2013, 09:10 AM
See!!?? It's this kind of crap that encourages folks to support the DUI arm of the police state. You try to tell someone, there's no need for warrant-less stop n searches we have laws for murder and manslaughter on the books now. Then this shit happens, and we have egg all over our faces. How was this allowed!?

Origanalist
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM

I'm sure he would figure out some way to "break bad".

aGameOfThrones
12-12-2013, 09:43 AM

He would not be applying for the pay.

PaulConventionWV
12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Too spoiled to go to jail... wait, how does that make sense?

Also, why the hell did he steal the beer when he had plenty of money to buy it? Probably just bored...

belian78
12-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Also, why the hell did he steal the beer when he had plenty of money to buy it? Probably just bored...
People that have enough money to not have to want for things, they find other ways to stimulate themselves. Such as theft, as you pointed out.

Snew
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Once again the word "pedestrians" replacing what the victims actually are... people.

Not a surprising story considering the needs of the automobile are always considered more important than the needs of people that walk and/or cycle. Plus the fact that the kid is rich as heck doesn't hurt him. :mad:

Philhelm
12-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Survivors of those killed in the accident drew little comfort from that assurance.

Some of the people killed had survived...?

Red Green
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Man, did that judge hit the jackpot. I bet all the judges were fighting to get that case. I wonder if he had to share the payola with the other judges?

VoluntaryAmerican

underage?

VoluntaryAmerican

haha nice catch.

acptulsa
12-12-2013, 12:01 PM
underage?

This. He stole beer because he is too spoiled not to have beer when he wants it and he's sixteen.

I wonder if he'd have avoided the wreck if he had been driving a car instead of this truck. Many car drivers do avoid wrecks that people in light trucks can't avoid. Then I read how spoiled he is and wonder if he tried. Maybe he just wanted to see if Grand Theft Auto was more fun in real life.

'Affluenza.' Is that another way of saying, 'Psychosis is hereditary'?

See!!?? It's this kind of crap that encourages folks to support the DUI arm of the police state. You try to tell someone, there's no need for warrant-less stop n searches we have laws for murder and manslaughter on the books now. Then this shit happens, and we have egg all over our faces. How was this allowed!?

But, of course, that panacea is less effective than a placebo. He'd really have gotten more than a slap on the wrist for getting caught in a checkpoint than for killing four people? No way. Yes, rich people who get set scot free to do it again kill far more people than poor people who avoid getting their lives ruined at a Nazi roadblock after three drinks. But how many people analyze the problem that accurately?

brushfire
12-12-2013, 12:02 PM

"Survived by"

But yea... oddly worded.

chudrockz
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Not to change this again into a debate on drunk driving laws, but for my part, I don't really care "why" someone is driving like a homicidal maniac. I went to Walmart the other night and witnessed some stupid kid in a sports car literally going 50mph+ in a crowded parking lot and completely ignoring stop signs and people alike. I don't care if the bastard was sober as the day, I badly wanted to see him hit a light post and be impaled by it.

youngbuck
12-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I met a guy who was sentenced to 5 years, and served nearly 3 of them for crashing into an off duty cop while driving drunk. The cop wasn't killed (or paralyzed), but was seriously injured.

eduardo89
12-12-2013, 04:20 PM
If the boy, who is from an affluent family, continued to be cushioned by his family's wealth and another tragedy is likely in his future, prosecutor Richard Alpert said in court.

Is that even a sentence?

angelatc
12-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I am actually sort of happy that he didn't get 20 years for an accident. He's just a kid who made a horrible choice that had unimaginable consequences.

bolil
12-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I'll level with you: Good. Kid fucked up and killed some people, that he is going to have to answer for and not to us, not to them, but to something larger and longer. The fact that he won't be in a rape cage pleases me. Yeah, he got drunk and murdered some people, drone pilots do that shit sober, so sue me if I am happy for the kid. If only everyone was treated like that...

kcchiefs6465
12-12-2013, 06:24 PM
See!!?? It's this kind of crap that encourages folks to support the DUI arm of the police state. You try to tell someone, there's no need for warrant-less stop n searches we have laws for murder and manslaughter on the books now.
To be fair though, the one in however many tens of million chance you die in a terrorist attack has a plurality convinced spying on them is okay while being groped and scanned with machines in their travels. (not to mention other places as well, and more to come) There are some truly irrational people in the world. That you can put fear into a being (animal or otherwise) through repeated veiled threats and seen actions, (not to mention what good positive reinforcement can do in the training process,) is unsurprising. That people are corralled as sheep and led to one side of the fence or another depending on which "wolf" the media and political puppet masters make into a threat on that particular occasion, as well.

Then this shit happens, and we have egg all over our faces.
I'm not seeing it. Am I sure alcohol caused this crash? Would being completely sober have prevented the crash? Did the alcohol cause the teen to speed? The accident scenario could be illuminating. In any case, look at it like this, the kid was 16. How long had he been driving for? Is it possible the general recklessness of his actions was to blame? If so, would being sober have helped him? How many hours do you figure this kid drove? Did he know the street? I read about these tragedies frequently but within all of the variables, all that truly comes to light (and condemns, and in most cases convicts someone,) is if they had been drinking; as if the world or driving in general would be free from these sorts of tragedy if dry. Perhaps it isn't the case here, or perhaps it is, but many, many, many, people can't drive worth a fuck and I'd imagine the majority of 16 year olds fall into that category. Many aren't experienced with alcohol or the effects thereof as well.

If we really wanted to be honest, we'd have to look at the numbers. They are so staggeringly one-sided I was shocked, myself. Then you'd have to look at the system where every instance of alcohol is ruled to be the fault of the "inebriated." Then look at the industry evolved around DUIs. From the lawyers, to the prison unions, to the Judge's new Maserati dealer; to overlook the incentive of ruining lives for this victimless crime is shortsighted. (I hope that with my brief explanation of variables and this reminder here I am saving a post in which someone will quote me, quote the number dead, and say, "VICTIMLESS!?" I understand people die from this epidemic of driving. I understand the risk involved with being drunk behind the wheel. I accept these risks when I drive or walk down public side walks. Life is uncertain and tragic in the scope of things. Short of God's direct intervention and watch I have no guarantees of safety and the overbearing, victim creating laws and nannies need a rest.)

How was this allowed!?
What do you mean?

And for clarification, I do not mean to sound cold or uncaring. May the victims Rest in Peace.

LibForestPaul
12-12-2013, 06:31 PM

No. This is the system they want in Texas. Monopoly controlled just-us. Has nothing to do with warrant-less stop n searchs.
Remember, the mean # of years for murder in this country is 8. So this sentence is not even that far out of line. Minor, dui, manslaughter, first time...
And this b.s. about being well to do. B.S. I have read more than one story of poor distraught black youths getting away with far more.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-13-2013, 06:01 PM
I am actually sort of happy that he didn't get 20 years for an accident. He's just a kid who made a horrible choice that had unimaginable consequences.

I kind of feel if you're old enough to drive and be stealing alcohol, you're not a "kid" anymore.

I'm not seeing it. Am I sure alcohol caused this crash?

I'm sure the .24 BAC (three times the legal limit in Texas) didn't exactly help him avoid crashing.

dannno
12-13-2013, 06:06 PM
I kind of feel if you're old enough to drive and be stealing alcohol, you're not a "kid" anymore.

I was driving when I was 8 and my friend stole beers from his uncle's camping cooler when he was 12.

RickyJ
12-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Everyone says his parents money got him out of a jail sentence, and it may have, but do they have any proof of that?

RickyJ
12-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Is that even a sentence?
Is your family wealthy?

RickyJ
12-13-2013, 06:45 PM
I'll level with you: Good. Kid fucked up and killed some people, that he is going to have to answer for and not to us, not to them, but to something larger and longer. The fact that he won't be in a rape cage pleases me. Yeah, he got drunk and murdered some people, drone pilots do that shit sober, so sue me if I am happy for the kid. If only everyone was treated like that...

If someone you love gets killed by this kid in the future you won't be happy for the kid then.

RickyJ
12-13-2013, 06:47 PM

You can't just buy it at 16.

phill4paul
12-13-2013, 06:51 PM
You can't just buy it at 16.

I had a bum surrogate a 12 pack for me while wearing a Boy Scout uniform during a Jamboree.

juleswin
12-13-2013, 06:51 PM
The way i see it, it should be up to the family of the victims to decide the punishment and if and his family is able to buy them off, I am OK with it. But this illustrates the kind of unfair system we have in this country. A lady justice that has its eyes open and doesn't judge fairly.