PDA

View Full Version : TX-Dallas cop shoots unarmed man with his hands up.

Anti Federalist
12-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Read the last three lines.

Man wounded in latest Dallas police shooting had his hands in the air, witness says

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20131210-man-wounded-in-latest-dallas-police-shooting-had-his-hands-in-the-air-witness-says.ece

By TANYA EISERER and TRISTAN HALLMAN

Staff Writers

Published: 10 December 2013 09:58 PM

Updated: 10 December 2013 10:54 PM

For the second time in two months, a Dallas police officer is under scrutiny for shooting a man for no apparent reason.

A witness said he watched an officer shoot carjacking suspect Kelvion Walker, 19, Monday afternoon even though Walker had both hands in the air and showed no signs of having a weapon. Walker has not been charged with a crime and is in critical condition at a Dallas hospital.

“I don’t condone these two young men stealing this car,” said the witness, Scottie Smith II, a real estate agent and property manager. “I surely don’t condone these two young men driving into my complex and giving my complex this negative publicity.

“But I do not condone an officer shooting a man with his hands up in the air.”

After inquiries from The Dallas Morning News, the department issued a news release late Tuesday about the shooting.

The statement said that no weapon was found in the car. It also said police were reviewing dash cam video from the squad cars and were attempting to enhance the video “to assist in the investigation.”

The statement did not name Smith, but did say that police had spoken to an independent witness who told them that Walker had both his hands in the air.

The statement identified the officer who shot Walker as Senior Cpl. Amy Wilburn, who was hired in 2001. She has been placed on administrative leave, a routine procedure in such cases. Her attorney, Robert Rogers, said there is more to the story.

“The focus should be on what the officer involved knew and saw at the exact moment,” said Rogers. “Without getting into the specifics of an ongoing investigation, I can promise you that the officer involved was in fear for her life at that exact moment.”

Monday’s shooting comes in the wake of a mid-October case in which a residential surveillance video showed a Dallas police officer shooting a mentally ill man who was standing with his arms at his side while holding a knife. That officer has been fired and his partner was reprimanded. It also led to a change in the way the Dallas Police Department deals with officers who have been involved in shootings.

Previously, those officers would typically give investigators detailed statements about the incidents within hours of the incident.

But the new policy requires officers to take 72 hours before giving detectives an official statement. Officers can still provide an immediate bare-bones walk-through with their attorney present so investigators can start their work.

Carjacking report

According to police records, the events that led up to Walker’s shooting began with a carjacking about 2:15 p.m. at a gas station in the 9500 block of Bruton Road. Wilburn and other officers responded to the robbery.

A 24-year-old man told police that he was parked at the gas station when he was approached by a man in an “aggressive manner.”

He fled to a nearby carwash and watched as two people drove off in his 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. He told police that the passenger fired two shots at him as they fled.

Authorities contacted the car’s lien holder and police tracked it through a vehicle GPS.

Authorities say Wilburn and Officer Jason Correa saw the stolen car heading south on St. Augustine Road near Military Parkway in Pleasant Grove.

Wilburn turned on her red lights to stop the car, but the driver sped up and turned into the St. Augustine Townhomes.

Police said the car slowed, and the driver jumped out and ran away. That driver remained at large late Tuesday.

As the car continued to roll, Wilburn approached to stop it. The statement said she didn’t realize Walker was in the front passenger seat.

“Officer Wilburn perceived Walker to be an imminent threat, drew her weapon and discharged it once striking him,” the statement said.

Walker was charged with misdemeanor theft in 2011 and received deferred adjudication, according to Dallas County records. The charge was dismissed in 2012 after he completed probation.

Walker is a fifth-year senior at Spruce High School in Pleasant Grove, according to his former head football coach, Carl Richardson, who described Walker as “a good kid.”

“I don’t know what the story was, but he was always respectful toward me,” Richardson said Tuesday.

Witness’s account

Smith, the witness, said he was on the phone and sitting in his car waiting for a prospective tenant to arrive when the shooting occurred about 20 feet away.

“I was so close to the scene that if that bullet had missed that young man and would have went out that window, it would have hit my car and probably would have hit me,” he said.

He said he watched as two uniformed officers rushed up toward the driver’s side of the car.

“The lady cop opens the door, pulls out her gun and shoots,” said Smith, 26. “The whole time, the passenger has his hands in the air. He didn’t have time to go for anything. I … haven’t been able to sleep at all.”

He said he is still trying to cope with what he saw.

“I’m scheduled to go on a police ride-along here in the next two weeks, so I don’t have this anti-police feel within me,” Smith said. “But that right there was a traumatic scene.”

aGameOfThrones
12-11-2013, 06:32 PM
“The focus should be on what the officer involved knew and saw at the exact moment,” said Rogers. “Without getting into the specifics of an ongoing investigation, I can promise you that the officer involved was in fear for her life at that exact moment.”

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1xofbcURt1r011gfo1_500.gif

Pericles
12-11-2013, 07:12 PM
It is easier to hit stationary targets not taking any hostile action.

cjm
12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
I can promise you that the officer involved was in fear for her life at that exact moment.

no doubt.

JK/SEA
12-11-2013, 08:46 PM
taxpayers got this one...relax...

Henry Rogue
12-11-2013, 08:46 PM
said Rogers. “Without getting into the specifics of an ongoing investigation, I can promise you that the officer involved was in fear for her life at that exact moment.” Then she should have run in the opposite direction screaming, the coward.

WM_in_MO
12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
"a Dallas police officer is under scrutiny for shooting a man for no apparent reason."

Because FUCK YOU PEW PEW PEW 'MERICA

satchelmcqueen
12-12-2013, 12:17 AM
""He said he is still trying to cope with what he saw.

“I’m scheduled to go on a police ride-along here in the next two weeks, so I don’t have this anti-police feel within me,” Smith said. “But that right there was a traumatic scene.”""

WHAT?? they will threaten him or give a bs story and change his mind.

phill4paul
12-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Putting your hands in the air to surrender will not help you. No fucks are given for your supplicant gesture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5H5GPE3P0

And Americunts will love them for it.

Video: NC cop pushes K-9 into suspect's car window
A 15-person jury cleared the officer of any wrongdoing

http://www.policeone.com/K-9/articles/6659241-Video-NC-cop-pushes-K-9-into-suspects-car-window

JK/SEA
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
i love dogs sooo much...but fuck me runnin' i would have chocked that dog to death, or broke its neck..

god damn fucking cops...beat this fuckin' cop dog handler for a few minutes, and send him to the front porch of the local police union in a black bag over his head,,,

Snew
12-12-2013, 10:57 AM
How in the world could something like this not give you an "anti-police" vibe?

Anti Federalist
12-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Dallas Police Officer Sued for Excessive Force

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-Police-Officer-Sued-for-Excessive-Force-236474521.html

The 19-year-old high school student who is the most recent person shot in an officer-involved shooting in Dallas has filed a civil lawsuit against the officer who pulled the trigger.

Kelvion Walker, says in his lawsuit that he was unarmed, surrendering and not committing any crime when shot by Officer Amy Wilburn on Dec. 9.

Walker was a passenger in a vehicle that had been stolen in a carjacking a day earlier. Officers were tracking the car via GPS and attempted to stop it.

Walker says in the lawsuit he urged his friend to stop -- once he did, everyone riding in the car including the driver ran from police. Walker says he stayed and had his hands up when officer Wilburn approached the car and shot him within seconds of seeing him.

One independent witness backed up Walker's version of events.

Walker says he asked Wilburn why she shot him and he says in the lawsuit Wilburn responded, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I apologize, I didn't try to."

Walker's attorney Geoff Henley says this is a clear case of excessive force. "If he (Walker) was an absolute participant does that give somebody the legal right to shoot an unarmed, completely compliant surrendering suspect? No way, no how, it does not exonerate you," said Henley.

The lawsuit for now names only Wilburn and does not hold the Dallas Police Department or City of Dallas responsible for any damages.

Henley says Walker has suffered tremendously and continues to recover from his injuries.

Walker has not been charged with any crimes at this time, investigators say they are working to enhance video from a police camera mounted inside a patrol car to see if it corroborates Walker's claims that his hands were up and he was surrendering when he was shot.

DamianTV
12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
How in the world could something like this not give you an "anti-police" vibe?

How does the behavior of police not give anyone an anti-police vibe anywhere?

tod evans
12-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Did the police who police the police clear the cop of wrong doing yet?