PDA

View Full Version : GA-Home alarm computer calls 911 by mistake. Cops show up and shoot family dog.

Anti Federalist
12-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Couple wants changes after APD officer kills their family pet

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/315564/40/Couple-wants-changes-after-APD-officer-kills-their-family-pet

8:50 PM, Dec 10, 2013

ATLANTA -- In their defense, police officers never know what dangers they'll confront when they answer a call.

But an Atlanta couple believes too many of them are too quick to shoot family pets.

"We raised an incredibly obedient and well-mannered dog that didn't deserve to be shot," Matthew Rodriguez told 11 Alive News on Tuesday.

He and his wife, Kelley, claim their 2-year-old dog, Jane, was killed by an Atlanta Police officer for no good reason.

It happened November 10th after an accidental automated 911 call from their Southeast Atlanta home.

Kelley said she talked to a 911 dispatcher to say everything was okay, but then two APD officers showed up at the front door.

"I opened the door and my dogs ran out like they always do and within two seconds a police officer turned and shot her," she told 11 Alive.

She said the 2-year-old lab-pitbull mix, Jane, died before they could get her help.

A second dog, just a puppy, was unhurt.

In his police report, the officer who shot Jane claimed he only fired after the dogs came at him, he injured his knee falling to avoid them, and Kelley refused his repeated calls for her to call off the animals.

She disputes that account, saying the dogs were friendly and the officer fired almost immediately.

She has launched a Facebook page called "Justice for Jane Our Family Dog", that already has more than 1,000 likes.

Kelley said she's linked up with other families who've had similar tragedies, which they claim are all too common.

She wants police officers to receive special training in how to deal with such situations, like Colorado requires.

"We want law enforcement to get training on how to deal with family dogs in non-lethal and non-excessively violent ways," she added.

Atlanta Police sent 11 Alive a written statement that said, in part, "Police officers face difficult circumstances on a daily basis while carrying out their duties, including occasional attacks from dogs that are unleashed or unrestrained by their owners."

It also said the shooting of the Rodriguez family dog, "is currently under investigation by OPS (Office of Professional Standards); if the investigation determines that this was not a justified use of force, the officer will be disciplined in accordance with our policies."

The APD statement added, "The loss of any life, human or animal, is something the Department does not take lightly."

Meanwhile, Kelley and Matthew Rodriguez said they are considering hiring a lawyer for a possible civil suit.

RJB
12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Don't jump to conclusions! We don't know the full story. The officer may have been scared for his safety.

I heard that the police found a loaded firearm in close proximity of the dog and another officer claimed that just before he heard gunshots he distinctly heard the dog say, "I'm going to kill you, you SOB!"

chudrockz
12-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Just joined the FB group.

RJB
12-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Just joined the FB group.

Keep us posted.

chudrockz
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
From the Facebook page:

About

This is a support page to help us heal from losing Jane, our beloved pet who was murdered by an Atlanta Police Officer in our yard on Nov. 10th, 2013.

Description
On November 10, 2013, our family was visiting from NC and packing to return home. Our 11 year old niece accidentally dialed 911 that morning. While loading up their vehicle, a police operator called her and we heard our niece saying that the call was placed in error and that everything was fine. Our family left and returned twice because they had forgotten things.

Almost an hour later, there was a knock on the door. I was upstairs nursing our three month old baby, and had Jane and Lucy, our pit bulls, with me on the bed. Figuring that it was our family again, I yelled from the top of the stairs that I was coming, laid down my son, and went down the stairs with our two dogs.

I opened the door and our two dogs ran out into their yard. I saw two police officers with their backs to us and all the way down the front stairs and at the gate. Within two seconds, they had turned around, and one of the Officers pulled out his gun and at close range shot my Jane in the head. Jane lay there bleeding to death on our steps, several feet away from him. The second Officer had his gun out and aimed at my younger dog, Lucy. I ran down the stairs yelling NOOOOO!!!! and snatched up Lucy and brought her inside. I ran up the stairs to get my infant son as I was terrified, and from the upstairs balcony I started to yell, You killed my dog! Why did you come here to kill my dog!!!??? I couldn't believe what was happening!

Our neighbors all knew Jane and rushed out and were standing outside of our property asking the cops if they could rush a dying Jane to the emergency vet as it was Sunday morning. The Officers kept pacing back and forth shaking their heads and kept saying No, that no one could come on to my property, and that no one could help Jane. I could not believe what was happening as this was a nightmare!

I kept crying and pleading and it wasn't until more cops arrived that finally one of them gave my neighbors the permission to take Jane. I was alone as my husband was on a charity bike ride so I couldn't leave my baby alone or carry my baby and my dying dog so I had to stay and allow my neighbors to help me. I called my husband and after arriving at the vet's office, although they tried, Jane died.

I cannot express what we feel. We keep playing this over and over. There was no reason that the Officer had to kill Jane. She was a friendly dog, everyone loved her, and she did not give him any reason to feel threatened.

The facts are:
An accidental 911 call was made by my 11 year old niece and after an Operator called my niece back, my niece confirmed that it had been an accidental call.
The cops did not arrive for almost an hour later.
The cops knocked once and did not identify themselves at any time while the door was closed.
I was nursing my three month old and yelled that I was coming.
A minute later, I opened the door and my dogs ran onto the porch and the steps.
The Officers had their backs turned, turned around and drew their weapons.
One of the Officers shot my dog from the gate, while my dog was on the steps, several feet away.
The other Officer had his gun aiming at my younger dog.
They would not allow anyone to help my dying dog.
The Officer that killed my dog did however call an Ambulance for himself. I did not know at the time the reason for this as my dog never went near him.
There is video of the Officers walking around while my dog lay dying.
My neighbors tried to help my dog.
My dog was people, baby, child, cat, dog friendly.
Jane was a rescued pit bull and Lucy is as well.

Our hope as a family is for others to know what happened so that they can protect their pets, and ultimately, for the Atlanta Police Department to provide much needed additional training to their Officers to enable them to deal with dogs so as not to kill them, as excessive force was not necessary. Our pet is dead because an Officer turned around and killed her point blank in the head and then would not allow us to help her.

chudrockz
12-11-2013, 06:38 PM
From briefly reading the FB postings it sounds like the family is trying to keep it very positive, and more power to them. I don't think if this happened to me I'd be creating a FB group. :(

aGameOfThrones
12-11-2013, 06:39 PM
My dogs hate strangers. My dogs absolutely hate strangers, but Not once Have I seen the UPS or USPS employee scared to deliver to my front door when all that separates between them an annihilation is a baby gate.

RCA
12-11-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE1xVSmxwIM

bolil
12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
AF has his take on the reason. Me? I am convinced that pigs fear their natural predators: Canines. If humans are products of their environment then who is surprised?

Eat their own? Check
Kill their own? Check
Shit where they live? Check.
Fuck, badges the world around should come in the shape of hooves.

The only appreciable difference I can see between pigs sans badge and pigs with badge, is that the badged sort squeal more loudly and are paid better. Don't forget about the bacon discount most places give pigs. What a joke that is. They ask, "Can I have the PO discount," I squeal under my breath and say, "Sure."

Pericles
12-11-2013, 07:11 PM
How come I never hear of hundreds of mail carriers being mauled by dogs every year?

bolil
12-11-2013, 07:17 PM
How come I never hear of hundreds of mail carriers being mauled by dogs every year?

Pigs keep the canine population culled to protect the mail walkers. Thank State!

Pericles
12-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Pigs keep the canine population culled to protect the mail walkers. Thank State!

Now I understand.

chudrockz
12-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Not too long ago our mail carrier met our recent adopted pitbull Snowflake. She barked and ran up to him. He didn't run. He didn't shoot or pepper spray her. He got a milk bone out of his pocket and tossed it to her, then after she ate it introduced himself to her. Five minutes later he wanted to take her home and keep her.

chudrockz
12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Another brief story about our vicious killer pitbull. Last weekend I took her to the local pets store to get some treats. As we walked past an aisle there was a golden retriever on a leash that noticed her and got seriously pissed. As in snarling snapping straining at the leash pissed. Not "I wanna play" but "I wanna rip your throat out!"

Our dog was mortified, and pulled me past the aisle and over another three or so aisles. The one she chose to go down had a family with four young kids browsing in it. My dog walked right into the middle of the kids, sat down, put her paw out, and then rolled over on the floor. After they played with her for awhile the parents wanted to know if they could adopt her from me. They even offered to buy her. No sale!

Anti Federalist
12-11-2013, 10:46 PM
The facts are:
An accidental 911 call was made by my 11 year old niece and after an Operator called my niece back, my niece confirmed that it had been an accidental call.

Headline fail on my part.

The news story said it was an automated 911 call, which is to say, one made by security system.

Mani
12-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Headline fail on my part.

The news story said it was an automated 911 call, which is to say, one made by security system.

I've had the accidental 911 dial as well, it's super easy to do. We were calling a place and the country code was 91 1XX, we were supposed to dial 01 911....or something like that.

A cop showed up 20 minutes later, my kid answered the door first. Thankfully the encounter was friendly. That was a good 10 years ago.

Feel sorry for this family. They should get hooked up with the puppycide folks.

Pericles
12-12-2013, 09:53 PM
As I don't have 911 in my phone list .....

phill4paul
12-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Another brief story about our vicious killer pitbull. Last weekend I took her to the local pets store to get some treats. As we walked past an aisle there was a golden retriever on a leash that noticed her and got seriously pissed. As in snarling snapping straining at the leash pissed. Not "I wanna play" but "I wanna rip your throat out!"

Our dog was mortified, and pulled me past the aisle and over another three or so aisles. The one she chose to go down had a family with four young kids browsing in it. My dog walked right into the middle of the kids, sat down, put her paw out, and then rolled over on the floor. After they played with her for awhile the parents wanted to know if they could adopt her from me. They even offered to buy her. No sale!

Viscous!

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1470323_10201544618472246_1230907876_n.jpg

Not too long ago our mail carrier met our recent adopted pitbull Snowflake. She barked and ran up to him. He didn't run. He didn't shoot or pepper spray her. He got a milk bone out of his pocket and tossed it to her, then after she ate it introduced himself to her. Five minutes later he wanted to take her home and keep her.

Hadn't seen our mailman down here in awhile. Dropped a package off today. First thing he said was "I sure do miss all your dogs."