PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Gets the Scrooge Award

CaseyJones
12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/12/11/rand_paul_gets_the_scrooge_award_120912.html

The year's not over, but it's not too early to declare the hands-down winner of this year's Scrooge award: Sen. Rand Paul.

The Kentucky Republican wants to cut off people's unemployment benefits -- not to save taxpayers' money from being frittered away by loafers unwilling to haul themselves out of their comfy hammocks to look for work. No, Sen. Scrooge wants to cut out of solicitude for the long-term unemployed.

Because, as the kindly doctor explained (correctly) on "Fox News Sunday," it is clear that the longer people are unemployed the more difficulty they have finding work. Ergo, says Paul, the obvious solution: Limit the length of unemployment benefits -- even if there are not jobs available.

"I do support unemployment benefits for the 26 weeks that they're paid for. If you extend it beyond that, you do a disservice to these workers," Paul said. "When you allow people to be on unemployment insurance for 99 weeks, you're causing them to become part of this perpetual unemployed group in our economy."

Paul is wrong, by the way, about the 99 weeks -- the longest combined state and federal benefits can now last is 73 weeks, and then only in three states where unemployment has hovered above 9 percent. Elsewhere, depending on the severity of unemployment, the maximum duration is between 40 and 63 weeks.

But Paul is more fundamentally wrong with his diagnosis that the best way to help this unfortunate group is to terminate their benefits. Talk about burning the village in order to save it. Long-term unemployment benefits don't cause long-term unemployment; they ameliorate it in hard economic times. (States generally cover benefits for the first 26 weeks, but during downturns the federal government has long stepped in to subsidize extended help.)

Yes, I know about moral hazard. In a well-functioning economy, overly generous unemployment benefits may dissuade people from taking new jobs. But this is not a well-functioning economy. Even with unemployment at a five-year low, nearly four of 10 jobless workers count as long-term unemployed, out of work for 27 weeks or longer. In October, there were nearly three people unemployed for every available job.

:rolleyes:

compromise
12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
It's great to hear they're giving out awards for fiscal conservatism. Any winner of the Scrooge Award is a hero of mine.

matt0611
12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
So why is 73 weeks ok? Why is that the magic number?

73 is ok but 26 is not?

acptulsa
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes, I know about moral hazard. In a well-functioning economy, overly generous unemployment benefits may dissuade people from taking new jobs. But this is not a well-functioning economy. Even with unemployment at a five-year low, nearly four of 10 jobless workers count as long-term unemployed, out of work for 27 weeks or longer. In October, there were nearly three people unemployed for every available job.

And these people are giving this award to one of the very few people in Washington who actually want to fix it the obvious and effective way--by making it safe for small business to do business.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Is Rand a Social Darwinist? I don't think so, just a crappy title.

rich34
12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Wow is this two hit pieces in a few days time? You got Johnny huntsman and now this? Wonder if they're gearing up for another round of attacks on Rand this time using different people. Maybe they realized by using their "heavyweights" it brought to much attention to Rand which only helped him in the long run. So now they're using lightweights like POS Huntsman in hopes that the media will not pick up Rand's rebuttals which will only help him in the conservative eye. Ya gotta keep an eye on them suckers as slick as they are they still telegraph their shit especially after watching them do it with Ron.

jbauer
12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
It's great to hear they're giving out awards for fiscal conservatism. Any winner of the Scrooge Award is a hero of mine.

Dang straight, I'd ask for a plaque or something to hang on my wall. I couldn't think of a greater honor other than being parent of the year or something.

libertywanter
12-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Rand is absolutely correct on this which I am sure you guys know, this long term unemployment is nonsense. Just another way for the left to "help the little guy" yeah there helping alright, never think for tomorrow, just today, then you have this evil Rand Paul guy thinking long term and trying to take away the pleasures of today to preserve the future. I have much to say on the unemployment topic, I will make a thread for it later.