PDA

View Full Version : Court Apologizes After Tossing Out Breastfeeding Mom

aGameOfThrones
12-10-2013, 10:29 AM
For women who choose to nurse their infants, sleepless nights might be just the beginning of resulting hardships, thanks to folks who think that breastfeeding belongs hidden behind closed doors. That’s the hard lesson new mom Danielle Gendron learned when a judicial marshal ushered her out of a Connecticut courtroom while she was discreetly nursing her 3-month-old son.

More on Yahoo Shine: Chick-fil-A at the Center of Breastfeeding Controversy

“That's never happened to me, so I wasn't sure she was speaking to me at first, so I kind of looked around, and she was like, ‘Get out,’” Gendron, 25, tells WTNH about the female marshal. Gendron was removed from family court on Wednesday as she waited to testify in a case. “It almost makes you feel ashamed, which is terrible, because you shouldn't feel that way,” she said.

But Connecticut is one of 45 states with a provision allowing women to breastfeed in public. After WTNH ran its story, the court backtracked, and apologized to Gendron's sister, who had called the court to complain, according to the TV station. A court spokesperson tells Yahoo Shine in an email that the marshal “was in error.” As a result, she says, “The marshal was instructed on the law, as were judicial marshals statewide.”

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/court-apologizes-after-tossing-out-breastfeeding-mom-203025680.html