PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee: "Jesus was too smart to run for office"

Daveforliberty
11-29-2007, 12:46 AM
I, on the other hand...

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, what a maroon!

robert4rp08
11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, he completely dodged that question.

brandon13830
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
He dodged the question but I've got to be honest, that's a great line.

Broadlighter
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
I thought it was a good answer. Maybe Huck should follow Jesus out of the race.

Daveforliberty
11-29-2007, 12:56 AM
But doesn't Huck want to be like Jesus? Doesn't he want to be smart too?

Hope
11-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I thought it was a good response. I dislike Huckabee with a passion, but that whole Bible question was complete nonsense.

asdf
11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
I liked when Huckabee said we should send Hillary to Mars.

user
11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Total dodge, more hypocrisy from the religious right

alien
11-29-2007, 12:58 AM
But by that comment he is pretty much saying he is not that smart.

Qiu
11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
ugh. It's that kind of answer which truly bothers me about Huckabee. I'm no Bible expert but one quote comes to mind; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Instead of dealing with serious issues, the guy just makes some joke out of the entire thing and gets away with it with applause and everybody thinking he's got some great personality.

Same thing about Mars; he didn't state any position- just made fun of Hillary Clinton. I didn't want to watch improv comedy.... I actually wanted to see a debate.

dircha
11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
I thought it was a good answer. Maybe Huck should follow Jesus out of the race.

Huck says he prefers razor blades in warm bath water.

F3d
11-29-2007, 01:08 AM

FreedomAndLaw
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
ugh. It's that kind of answer which truly bothers me about Huckabee. I'm no Bible expert but one quote comes to mind; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Instead of dealing with serious issues, the guy just makes some joke out of the entire thing and gets away with it with applause and everybody thinking he's got some great personality.

Same thing about Mars; he didn't state any position- just made fun of Hillary Clinton. I didn't want to watch improv comedy.... I actually wanted to see a debate.

well put. Watching a Marshall McLuhan clip discussing the Carter/Ford Debate feels like hes describing this one as well - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8jej3j5vA&feature=related

JayDee
11-29-2007, 01:14 AM
It's absurd to think that Jesus wold enforce the will of god by the brutal force of government.

No, you must choose to follow Jesus, he does not enforce morality upon others.

Jesus spoke out often of the Pharisees that would use the religion to gain power over people. Yes.. Jesus would absolutely be against Huckabee authoritarian rule.

F3d
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM

apc3161
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Total dodge, more hypocrisy from the religious right

Total hypocrisy, because we all no Jesus wouldn't do any of the things these candidates are endorsing.

partypooper
11-29-2007, 01:16 AM
But doesn't Huck want to be like Jesus? Doesn't he want to be smart too?

exactly. the response sounds clever but is in fact stupid. do you wanna be like jesus or not? if not, why not? if yes, why do something he would consider stupid?

F3d
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM

derdy
11-29-2007, 01:20 AM
I thought it was a good response. I dislike Huckabee with a passion, but that whole Bible question was complete nonsense.

I think that's the whole point, whether you find the Bible question to be nonsense or not, is that HE is a former pastor and as such should know about the Bible and the answer to that question, so in essense he wouldn't follow in the steps of Jesus!

That was a really dumb thing to say!

And I'm an aetheist! :D

Ron LOL
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
I may be in the minority here, but this folksy crap from Huckabee really just rubs me the wrong way.

derdy
11-29-2007, 01:23 AM
I may be in the minority here, but this folksy crap from Huckabee really just rubs me the wrong way.

I really can't STAND the way he talks! It's so polished, plastic, and fake to me.

matteh
11-29-2007, 01:30 AM
the question about jesus and the death penalty was especially nauseating in my opinion. the guy who asked the question was undeniable creepy too.

JayDee
11-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Ever heard of the Old Testament? He also tells people to follow his commandments otherwise they'll get punished in the 2nd life.

Thats right, second life.. not this life. (although the Old Testament is somewhat more barbaric, Jesus is the new covenant)

jacmicwag
11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Huck is one of those people who piss you off because everyone likes him for some reason. He could be selling time shares and still get a ton of votes. In the long run, his coming up will help us even though it is hard to swallow at the moment.

user
11-29-2007, 01:48 AM
It's messed up how he purposely switches to that sanctimonious tone when he gets all preachy.

F3d
11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Chad
11-29-2007, 01:58 AM

JohnM
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
exactly. the response sounds clever but is in fact stupid. do you wanna be like jesus or not? if not, why not? if yes, why do something he would consider stupid?

You're taking the joke too seriously. Surely Huckabee was gently poking fun at himself, and saying "I must be dumb to do this".

That sort of humor goes down well with a lot of voters.

SovereignMN
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I am a Christian and I support capital punishment.

partypooper
11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
You're taking the joke too seriously. Surely Huckabee was gently poking fun at himself, and saying "I must be dumb to do this".

That sort of humor goes down well with a lot of voters.

i know it goes well but it is nevertheless stupid. and yes, i take it seriously because it replaced the answer to the question.

Melissa
11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes but wasnt the question something about Jesus supporting capital punishment and I would find it very wild if any would think Jesus would say Capital Punishment is ok

partypooper
11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
that is - presumably - why the question was asked. huck's support of CP is in tension with his christianity and he was supposed to say why is it still ok for him to support CP.

he replaced the answer to this question with an answer to a different question - whether jesus would think one should run for office. and then he admitted he wouldn't! so in a sense this was even worse than if he answered the first question by admitting that he was doing something that jesus wouldn't do. yet he got away with it because it was "so funny". boy, people are so dumb.

JohnM
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
In defense of Huckabee (hey, we Ron Paul supporters are fair-minded people :D ), I think he was basically saying that Jesus Christ was not involved in earthly politics and stayed out of the political arguments of his day.

There were a lot of religious people getting involved in political disputes back then, but Jesus didn't - basically keeping himself aloof from issues that were, in the end of the day, of this world. (Hence his answer to Pontius Pilate in John 18:36)

There was no debate about capital punishment in Jesus' day, and if there had been, one suspects that he would have refused to get involved in it.

So my take on this is that while on one level, Huckabee was ducking the question, on another level, it was actually as stupid a question as question 19 ("Do you believe every word in the Bible?") and that Huckabee gave a very good answer - better, in fact than his answer to question 19.

KingTheoden
11-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I thought it was a pretty dumb answer, particularly for someone who claims to be such a pious follower of Christ. I do not approve of the death penalty precisely because of the New Testament; a government cannot be empowered with the ability to execute if for no other reason because Man is corruptible and such a power would have such dire implications.

The Huckster uses humor to charm and seduce. Don't fall under his spell.

Daveforliberty
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
The Huckster uses humor to charm and seduce. Don't fall under his spell.

In my mind, this is exactly correct. His words don't make sense under careful scrutiny. He rarely directly answers a question. There's always a joke or a platitude first. His words are a sedative, designed to soothe, calm, and control.

In one regard I think he's smart. He stays out of the fray as much as possible and then seems to voters (who aren't really questioning what he is saying and why) to step in and offer the soothing voice of reason.

But what makes this so nefarious is that it is a calculated thing. The staying out of the fray, the easy-going manner, the jokes, are Huck's schtick. It is completely insincere and although his platitudes may seem a mile wide, they're an inch deep.

Huck is dangerous becasue of this. While the other candidates hurl mud, he shows the audience a puppy, and they all go "Ahhhhhhhh..."

Andrew76
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Agreed. The answer was a total dodge, and was a "good answer," in as much as it was a clever way to completely dodge the questions. If Anderson Cooper had any balls whatsoever, he'd of waited till the laughter subsided, then said, "Hehehe... Ok though seriously, you haven't answered the question. Will you answer it?"

Anderson Cooper = worst. moderator. ever. Any problems with this "debate" can be directly traced back to him. When in someone's question they say, "..and this question is for all the candidates," where I come from, that means everyone. Not f*cking two of them. How is it not completely obvious that Ron Paul was set up to look bad. If it smells like sh*t, looks like sh*t, and sounds like sh*t, it's probably.....

Huckabee is a joke with all his good feelin' down home-isms. "It's like my old pastor used ta' say! blah blah blargity blargh!..." Puhleeeze, you can't even remember the dudes name. I feel like I'm watching the freaking Dukes of Hazard. "Hey y'all, can I get an amen for a Huckabee, Roscoe P. Coltrane ticket! Whoooooeeeeee!!"

Andrew76
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
In defense of Huckabee (hey, we Ron Paul supporters are fair-minded people :D ), I think he was basically saying that Jesus Christ was not involved in earthly politics and stayed out of the political arguments of his day.

There were a lot of religious people getting involved in political disputes back then, but Jesus didn't - basically keeping himself aloof from issues that were, in the end of the day, of this world. (Hence his answer to Pontius Pilate in John 18:36)

There was no debate about capital punishment in Jesus' day, and if there had been, one suspects that he would have refused to get involved in it.

So my take on this is that while on one level, Huckabee was ducking the question, on another level, it was actually as stupid a question as question 19 ("Do you believe every word in the Bible?") and that Huckabee gave a very good answer - better, in fact than his answer to question 19.

I'd agree that his response to the "every word in the bible," question was fair. But as to Jesus not getting involved in politics.... Yeah, he didn't run for prez, and wouldn't most likely. But to say he wasn't vicariously involved in politics at all, is entirely untrue. What he did and said had serious political consequences, to say the least! But the bible, as to it's moral prescriptions does not equivocate. Jesus was a jew, and the ten commandments of the old testament are infallible to all true believers.
I should note that I'm not christian. However, it irks me to no end when some christians cherry pick beliefs here and there from the bible. Again, I'm not christian, but how much more clear could you word, "Thou shalt not kill." Where in the world is the argument for "interpretation," of such a statement?

Blowback
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Huck must have played a lot of basketball to lsoe weight... he's got the shake and bake down cold

c0unterph0bia
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't talk like a preacher the entire time.

ChickenHawk
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
"Thou shall not kill" is not the best translation. "Thou shall not murder" is a more accurate one. If you read the whole Bible there is clearly some killing that is not forbidden.

JoeSixPack
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Not just nonsense but against the constitution (Article IV, sect 3): "...no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." Why CNN is selecting questions and spending air time specifically to make an issue of religious tests in a political debate is beyond me. Perhaps they are as ignorant about the constitution as most Americans... Because they're certainly contributing to public ignorance with crap like that.

CountryboyRonPaul
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
The only time Jesus ever used anger or violence was when he found money changers in the temple.

Jesus did use violence, and that is against those that would charge people unfair interest on money loaned.

Not against the oppressive Romans, not against those that condemned him with death. But on those that would profit off of the labor of others.

Who fits more in line with Jesus? Ron Paul or Tax Hike Mike, who now seems to be using Ron Paul's stance on the IRS, now that he sees it is popular.

JaylieWoW
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM

You aren't. What I find distasteful about Huckabee is that he is far too religious where I am concerned. I find nothing at all distasteful about religion per se, but rather individuals who use their faith as some sort of shield or immunity from answering things more honestly. God and Jesus Christ are their "goto" for questions they cannot or will not answer honestly for themselves. Also, christians who use their statement of faith as some sort of indicator that they know what is right better than people can choose for themselves, the "holier than thou" attitude.

You cannot profess to believe so strongly in Christian values while on the other hand wanting to force those values on everyone else! As the good doctor often says, "We should lead by example!" (One of my favorite essays on the subject is Persuasion vs. Force (http://www.mskousen.com/Books/PvF/pvftext.html) by Skousen, as a side note the President of the Mormon Church wrote to Skousen very positively about this particular article, Romney should look at it sometime if he ever had a real desire to understand why Ron Paul supporters are so passionate). For professing to believe in the teachings of Christ but wishing to use Government as the vehicle for forcing all people of this country into "behaving" accordingly, he reeks of hypocrisy!

IMHO Christianity, is about choices. It is about an earthly journey wherein man is tasked with a learning experience. As such, God has given each of us the rights to live our lives and make our own choices. I FIRMLY believe in freedom of choice and "nature's fierce discipline". In fact, it is probably the root of my own belief system. Someone like Huckabee, however, would use the power of government to FORCE individuals into making the decisions deemed by him to be the proper "Christian" decisions. Though I realize there are a great many sins against God, I would consider the use of FORCE by far one of the worst and especially when such FORCE is claimed to be justified in some moral or sympathetic manner. You cannot always allow your heart to lead you and that to me is one of the ultimate tests parents have to face each and every day!

Mitt Romney was quite right (if only for political show) to smack Huckabee down for his position on giving taxpayer money to the children of illegal aliens. Huckabee was decidedly WRONG to attempt to sway people to accept forced robbery by playing on their sympathies. THAT to me is FAR worse than any murderer or thief. At least their intentions, if cruel, are not a sympathetic painted lie.

If he REALLY felt that strongly (and this goes for ALL politicians who want to use taxpayer money for supposed "humanitarian" causes) about helping those kids get into school he could use his political clout to help form a non-profit organization for getting those kids their citizenship FIRST and then helping them find ways to get through college. I get so damn sick of the "status quo" playing on the heart strings of all Americans in order to justify taking more and more money from us the easy way, via force by the federal government. If they are THAT interested in getting "universal health care", providing for the poor, and so on, then they need to go out and work at building not for profit foundations to accomplish these things.

I can really get riled up about this subject but it is one that I believe is something mankind needs to start facing with a great deal more honesty and a whole lot less sympathy.

SovereignMN
11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
The Bible permits capital punishment if you read God's covenant with Noah from Genesis 9.
Genesis 9:5-6
5And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

6"Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made man.

Now you can make the argument that America's system of capital punishment is unfair, biased, etc...and you may have a point. But to flat out state that capital punishment and Christianity are incompatible is not true.

richard1984
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Huckabee: "Jesus was too smart to run for office."

Plato: "Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber."

Huckabee's an idiot. Besides, referring to Jesus as "too smart to run for office" is close to blasphemy (for someone like Huckabee). Being "smart" has nothing to do with it, and it completely misses the point about why Jesus was great.
Man...I could say so much about why that comment was horrible, but it's not worth it.

Nate
11-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd agree that his response to the "every word in the bible," question was fair. But as to Jesus not getting involved in politics.... Yeah, he didn't run for prez, and wouldn't most likely. But to say he wasn't vicariously involved in politics at all, is entirely untrue. What he did and said had serious political consequences, to say the least! But the bible, as to it's moral prescriptions does not equivocate. Jesus was a jew, and the ten commandments of the old testament are infallible to all true believers.
I should note that I'm not christian. However, it irks me to no end when some christians cherry pick beliefs here and there from the bible. Again, I'm not christian, but how much more clear could you word, "Thou shalt not kill." Where in the world is the argument for "interpretation," of such a statement?

Thou shalt not murder is a more accurate translation but the death penalty is still a premeditated act of violence in which there is an intent to kill. It is still murder but with a self righteous motive. Jesus also said that which you do to the least of them you also do to me. The Huckster put a man to death therefore he did the same to Jesus. How any "christian" could support the death penalty when Jesus himself was the victim of the death penalty completely astounds me.

He is a fake christian just like Bush and they give real christians a bad name. The Huckster is a traveling tent revival preacher and a charlatan. I hate it when he goes into his fake TV evangelist voice and gets all sanctimonious; it is a disgrace and a mockery of everything a real christian stands for. The fact that American "christians" are supporting him just shows how far from christians many of them are.

Also, the hypocrisy of a pro war "christian" leaves me almost speechless. A true christian is a man like Dr Paul who does not force his beliefs on anybody and tries to treat others with respect and dignity. He even believes that we should follow what Jesus said was the highest commandment, treat others as you would like to be treated, in our international relations. What a concept! I wish these people would start acting like Jesus instead of just paying him lip service. The world would be a better place.

time4change
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
The Bible permits capital punishment if you read God's covenant with Noah from Genesis 9.
Genesis 9:5-6
5And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

6"Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made man.

Now you can make the argument that America's system of capital punishment is unfair, biased, etc...and you may have a point. But to flat out state that capital punishment and Christianity are incompatible is not true.The question was not about the Old Testament. The question was, what would Jesus do?

JoeSixPack
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I think many would agree Christianity has become as corrupted and lost as the Republican party. And it's no coincidence that this occurred as they became tied together. A very good way to destroy your religion is to tie it to political party (and vice versa).

SovereignMN
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
The question was not about the Old Testament. The question was, what would Jesus do?

Christians believe that Jesus fulfills the Old Testament. God's character does not change.

Look, the whole question is stupid. It's designed to trap someone because it's unanswerable. Jesus did not come to be an earthly judge nor was he ever asked on the matter.

Would Jesus want infants to be baptized? He never addressed the topic. That doesn't mean that Christians can't disagree on the topic. It doesn't mean that someone who comes to a conclusion different than mine is any less of a Christian because of it.

Maltheus
11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Best debate question ever!!! What is it with the so-called Christians in this country? If they're certain of a life after death, why wouldn't they try to live up to Christ's teachings. Answer: Because most of them are full of shit. Anyone with even the most cursory understanding of the New Testament knows precisely what Jesus' take would be on the death penalty. Once a criminal is locked up, you can no longer claim self-defense. You kill them, you've broke the first commandment, you're going to hell. End of story.

The truth is, most Christians are merely authoritarians. They just want God or the military to punish those who aren't like them. It isn't about God or the good ole US of A for them, it's that they have some deep seated need for vengeance in their souls. I'm still working on the why, but that much seems clear to me these days. I live in the HQ town for Focus on the Family and I encounter this darkness all the time in Christian's trying to convert me. If there's one message that I learned from studies of Christ (both religious and academic), it's that we are suppose to live with love in our hearts. I have yet to meet a single active/proselytizing/born again Christian who lives according to this wise message.

thehighwaymanq
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
It was a good response, he dodged it and gave a little humor.

drednot
11-29-2007, 03:10 PM
He is officially "Duckabee" after this debate.

Nobody dodges more questions than him.

Questioner: In order to reduce the deficit, which 3 programs would you diminish?

Duckabee: "Eliminate the IRS!"

Gee, problem solved.

Todd
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Huck is one of those people who piss you off because everyone likes him for some reason. He could be selling time shares and still get a ton of votes. In the long run, his coming up will help us even though it is hard to swallow at the moment.

He is probably going to get the backing of every conservative Christian that Bush had. My mother in law supports Huck and is a Christian ( I am too), but she is much more closed minded to anyone that isn't endorsed by the preacher's she sees on TV. Good Grief!

He was at Liberty U. yesterday for convocation and my friend was at the rally. He is a Paul supporter, but he said the scary part was that Huck was really impressive.

JohnM
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
But to say he wasn't vicariously involved in politics at all, is entirely untrue. What he did and said had serious political consequences, to say the least!

It certainly had political consequences. But what I wrote was "He stayed out of the political issues of his day."

But the bible, as to it's moral prescriptions does not equivocate. Jesus was a jew, and the ten commandments of the old testament are infallible to all true believers.

Correct. Jesus held to the Old Testament law and commandments. (Mark 7:8-13; Matthew 5:17-19) (The Old Testament law included the death penalty by the way, as posted by SovereignMN at #44)

A lot of Christians do cherry pick beliefs. But it is also true that a lot of Christians are unjustly accused of cherry picking beliefs by people who don't know the Bible as well as they think they do.

CurtisLow
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM

It was a Huck softball and he struck out.