PDA

View Full Version : Amid IRS Abuse, Record Number of Americans Give Up U.S. Citizenship

Constitutional Paulicy
12-10-2013, 01:13 AM
i have lived abroad for nearly 15 years now and am sick of having to concern myself with this BS. At the rate this is going I'll likely have to be responsible for paying Obamacare when I already have health insurance abroad? I've seriously considered renouncing my citizenship.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/media/k2/items/cache/0e87f4e74ddeee2a0e62c15caf7e9aee_L.jpg

Amid IRS Abuse, Record Number of Americans Give Up U.S. Citizenship
Written by Alex Newman
Monday, 09 December 2013 16:08

According to official figures and experts cited by the Wall Street Journal, almost 2,400 people so far this year have either given up their U.S. citizenship or turned in their green cards. That means the numbers thus far are up by at least 33 percent over 2011, when 1,781 did so, more than twice as many as in preceding years. In 2012, meanwhile, almost 2,000 people reportedly decided to permanently sever Uncle Sam’s grip, and experts say the real numbers are even higher. By comparison, just 742 renounced their citizenship in 2009.

The exodus is widely expected to continue or even accelerate — especially among the wealthy and mobile — unless and until Congress takes action to rein in the IRS and reduce the draconian burdens imposed on Americans abroad. The U.S. government, of course, is almost unique in the world in that it demands that citizens pay U.S. taxes and file massive amounts of complex paperwork no matter where on the planet they reside and work. According to reports, the only other government in the world to seek tribute from citizens abroad is the one ruling Eritrea.

“The reality is that the U.S. tax system gives dual citizens a good reason to walk away from their U.S. citizenship or permanent-resident status,” former federal prosecutor Jeffrey Neiman was quoted as saying in a recent CNBC report about the growing trend. “It's a painful process but easier than staying in compliance with the law.” Other experts echoed those sentiments, saying that, despite the costs, renunciation of U.S. citizenship is an increasingly appealing option — and probably easier than keeping track of the ever-changing American tax code.

more here.... http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/item/17134-amid-irs-abuse-record-number-of-americans-give-up-u-s-citizenship

Mani
12-10-2013, 03:06 AM
It's really hard and confusing. And handling your books in the way it is recommended in the foreign country of residence, sometimes clashes with the way the US may want it.

I have family back in the U.S. that's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from giving up citizenship. If I revoke my citizenship, I have to request a tourist visa, which can be denied for any reason. At that point I'm at the mercy of the US immigration office if they want to LET me back into my former country. They could easily say no.

So for now I will grin and bear it with these confusing compliance's and requests.

Constitutional Paulicy
12-10-2013, 11:13 PM
It's really hard and confusing. And handling your books in the way it is recommended in the foreign country of residence, sometimes clashes with the way the US may want it.

I have family back in the U.S. that's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from giving up citizenship. If I revoke my citizenship, I have to request a tourist visa, which be denied for any reason. At that point I'm at the mercy of the US immigration office if they want to LET me back into my former country. They could easily say no.

So for now I will grin and bear it with these confusing compliance's and requests.

Yep. It's the return visits for family that has me holding out.

The Americans that I know from living abroad have seen the light. They are open minded to the ill's of our nation. Not surprisingly many of them are politically aligned with Ron Paul. I cant say exactly what the percentages are but if the average American citizen in the US reflected the same numbers I witness abroad, Dr. Paul would be president right now.

Sometimes I suspect they have a motive for taxing expats. It's an effort to keep those of us living outside the US from infecting the mainstream mindset of the American populous.

Keith and stuff
12-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Someone needs to create another thread on this! The more threads the better! Let's push this up!

paulbot24
12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
If only this affected the dual-citizen members of our Congress so they would finally resign.

Constitutional Paulicy
12-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Someone needs to create another thread on this! The more threads the better! Let's push this up!

Your right. I'm often surprised when people shrug this off. I guess if it doesn't effect them directly they seem to not care. Guess there aren't enough expats to take a stand. Of course that's changing.

I have a friend of mine who is from California living here in Taiwan. He was unaware of the need to file taxes abroad. When I told him he was bewildered. Now when he goes back to the states, he fears that customs or the TSA with all their new electronic gadgets and data bases, will flag him when entering. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the IRS began/are working in conjunction with them.

Origanalist
12-11-2013, 12:54 AM
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/NORL-39%20octopus%20logo.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/06/nothing-is-beyond-our-reach-nro-new-logo-claims///

MRK
12-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Yep. It's the return visits for family that has me holding out.

The Americans that I know from living abroad have seen the light. They are open minded to the ill's of our nation. Not surprisingly many of them are politically aligned with Ron Paul. I cant say exactly what the percentages are but if the average American citizen in the US reflected the same numbers I witness abroad, Dr. Paul would be president right now.

Sometimes I suspect they have a motive for taxing expats. It's an effort to keep those of us living outside the US from infecting the mainstream mindset of the American populous.

Absolutely. Every American I meet here with few exceptions is strongly anti-federal government.

Surprisingly, even an Irish and a Swiss I met in just the past few weeks asked me if I knew about a guy Ron Paul, whom they were fascinatinated by. One said that Paul stood up for the rest of the world in America's political system. It blew my mind a little. I reminded him that his policies are also in the best interest of the American people although domestic and international media lead the world to believe otherwise. I told them to check out his son Rand.

To the topic of anti-federal government sentiment as of late in expats abroad, well, consider that this is one of many strong reasons for them to go abroad. If they don't like the way their government is acting, the old saying goes, "Well, you can always move!" and they did just that.

Unfortunately, taking these people out of the United States does decrease the activism efforts domestically.

Beneficially however, libertines leaving the US provides positive ambassadors to the principles of freedom abroad, which is also necessary. It also geographically diversifies liberty's activist portfolio so that one group is not easily targeted or compromised.

Mani
12-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Your right. I'm often surprised when people shrug this off. I guess if it doesn't effect them directly they seem to not care. Guess there aren't enough expats to take a stand. Of course that's changing.

I have a friend of mine who is from California living here in Taiwan. He was unaware of the need to file taxes abroad. When I told him he was bewildered. Now when he goes back to the states, he fears that customs or the TSA with all their new electronic gadgets and data bases, will flag him when entering. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the IRS began/are working in conjunction with them.

I've experienced the same thing! I've encountered several people from the US, saying they paid their HK taxes, and I'm like...You know you still have to file your U.S. taxes...right???

Some appear stunned...Like...Wait..but I don't live in the U.S. and none of my income is generated in the U.S.??? I'm like...It doesn't matter...You also have to tell them about bank account you've opened overseas....

There's a lot of shock.

And when I'm in an international crowd and the topic of taxes come up, and I'm the LONE U.S. representative, they are like...DAMN!? You pay global income!?! Oh man that's harsh.

I know a few people that have ditched their US Green cards/Citizenship, and I know lots more that have this debate because the tax law has become such a hindrance.