PDA

View Full Version : Largely White Audience Turns Out To Hear Rand Paul Speak At African-American Outreach Event

aGameOfThrones
12-09-2013, 09:37 PM
WASHINGTON -- The Michigan Republican Party is seeking to increase its visibility in Democratic- and minority-heavy Detroit, and last week, it brought Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to the city to open the party's African-American Engagement Office. But if anything, the launch event put into stark relief just how much work the GOP has to do, when a largely white audience turned out to hear the senator speak.

Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus has said that attracting more minorities to the GOP is crucial for the party's future. He visited Michigan last month, hired radio personality Wayne Bradley to head the African-American Engagement effort in the state and launched the Michigan Black Advisory Council.

In the 2012 election, President Barack Obama earned the support of 90 percent of the black voters who turned out at the polls.

Paul initially spoke at the new African-American Engagement Office on Livernois Avenue in Detroit for about four minutes on Friday. According to the progressive site Eclectablog, "The seats in the tiny space were filled with well-dressed supporters, most of whom were African-American."

“Today’s opening of this office is the beginning of a new Republican Party,” Paul said. “This is going to be a Republican Party that is in big cities and small cities, in the countryside, in the city. It’s going to be about bringing a message that is popular no matter where you’re from, whether you're rich or poor, whether you’re black, white or brown.”

Paul then went to a larger grassroots event at the Grace Bible Chapel, where there were protesters from the civil rights group National Action Network outside. The online invitation said the event was intended to "celebrate the opening of our African-American Engagement Office in Detroit."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/rand-paul-african-american_n_4409356.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

RickyJ
12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
They must be from South Africa. :D

Lord Xar
12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day. The dems/libs have capitulated the black voter for the last 50 years... created a dependent, needy, stigmitized, and victim class.. they aren't so ready to leave their "new" masters.... Its hard to shake the slave hand when it comes bearing free gifts. But, personally I believe, once they are able to break from the chains the dems have fashioned for them, they will be the staunchest proponents of liberty we might get to see.

juleswin
12-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Reading the comments from Huffpost makes me think that some animals are truly smarter than some humans. Some in the comment section over there believe that reason why the crowd was majority white was Rand named the event "African-American Engagement effort" to some how scare off the AA and appeal to white only.

Personally I think if you want to attract a skeptical audience you have to get some community leader to attend the event with you and you must provide refreshments. There just something about free food that says, I really care about you :)

Working Poor
12-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I have seen this article shared all around the liberal sites they are having a big attack feast over this. It is awful.

Anti Federalist
12-10-2013, 02:57 AM
It’s going to be about bringing a message that is popular no matter where you’re from, whether you're rich or poor, whether you’re black, white or brown.”

What message is that?

Freedom?

LMFAO!

12-10-2013, 07:15 AM
The takeaway from this is that when Rand has an outreach event, if you aren't part of the target group don't go.

angelatc
12-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Personally I think if you want to attract a skeptical audience you have to get some community leader to attend the event with you and you must provide refreshments. There just something about free food that says, I really care about you :)

Yes, food does not hurt, but you're absolutely right about needing a community leader to organize the event.

One of Carl Rove's early victories - he joined the DNC and quickly climbed the ranks. When invited to a free-food fundraiser, he invited hundreds of homeless people. Just to sabotage it, mind you.

Romulus
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
The takeaway from this is that when Rand has an outreach event, if you aren't part of the target group don't go.

Great so the headline reads, Rand holds outreach, no on attends.

Tywysog Cymru
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Why didn't the GOP try doing this earlier?