PDA

View Full Version : A United States 'Spring' Coming?

tangent4ronpaul
12-09-2013, 01:41 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/united-states-spring-coming/story?id=21110756&google_editors_picks=true

You know things are getting REAL when ABC News starts publishing stuff like this...

Could an "Arab Spring" type of upheaval be brewing in the United States? Is the frustration and anger toward our dysfunctional politics and economics beginning to reach a tipping point where young folks begin to push for profound change? Has our democracy become so broken that citizens are going to find creative avenues to express their feelings? Will we pass through the holidays and winter of our dysfunction to arrive at a spring of change? I sense a movement of social unrest growing strongly and quietly towards our own version of the Arab Spring.

Let's take a look at some of the factors that might be pointing in this direction. This past week the GDP showed very positive growth (up 3.6 percent in the third quarter), corporations are booking huge profits, the stock market is at an all time high, and we have more multimillionaires and billionaires than ever before. So why does 70 percent of the country believe the United States is off on the wrong track? Why is trust of our economic, governmental and political institutions at a historic low? Why is the poverty rate back to a historical high?

For more than a generation, the middle class of this country has not seen any significant improvement in their financial situation. In fact, when you factor in inflation, the majority of the country has actually seen a decline in their economic status over the past 25 years. The wealthiest 5 percent of America has basically garnered nearly all the gains we have seen in economic growth over the last few decades. Many in New York City, Washington, DC and small enclaves around the country have done very very well, while the rest of America is either stagnant or in decline. As we reflect on Nelson Mandela's passing it is time to ask if we have our own version of apartheid here - not by race, but by economic status.

And all the above has occurred as the presidency and Congress has been lead by both political parties and ideologies including conservatives and liberals. Young Americans have put their hopes in presidents of both political parties who said they were going to change Washington DC and bring a new kind of politics, and have come away very disappointed and frustrated. Recently polling shows these young Americans (along with other citizens) have gone from overwhelmingly supporting President Obama to now incredibly upset about another politician who said one thing and did another. And the economics and dreams of their own life has been set back once again.

So here we have a majority of Americans at best no better off in more than a generation. Citizens with an incredible distrust and disappointment in the federal government, Wall Street, and both political parties. Citizens who have tried voting for each party, but come away worse off and more disillusioned. And citizens who are still searching for authentic leadership where words and actions are integrated and one. It is no wonder the simple yet powerful and authentic message of Pope Francis has been applauded by both Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

The main activists in the Arab Spring were young people (and especially young men) who grew very frustrated and finally took to the streets. So why haven't the young men (and women) of main stream America taken more to the streets here and pushed their own version of a revolution? Maybe it is because they tried making change through regular politics and have now seen it hasn't worked. Maybe it is because they so far are preoccupied with video games which give them an outlet and a sense of control, but will soon tire of this as they realize there is more to life and want meaning.

Whatever the reason, at some point I believe the status quo in our politics and economics will no longer be acceptable to a large part of our country, and because the existing institutions are unresponsive, these agents of change will rise up in some way and very loudly and clearly say "enough is enough." And I think this will be a very good thing if it is done in a forceful and non-violent way.

I have feared that the tragic school shooting and mass killings by deranged young men has been a canary in the coal mine for a growing dissatisfaction with life. I for one think we need some alternative for people in this country who have been ignored, misled, and forgotten about in the halls of power in DC and Wall Street to assert a new way and institute new leadership and structures that are responsive. Otherwise, a revolution of the heart and soul could easily become a clenched fist of force. As John F. Kennedy said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." It is time we begin to have this conversation more openly.

There you have it.

-t

WM_in_MO
12-09-2013, 02:27 PM
This is exactly what TPTB want. They will take every chance they can to push violent upheaval. Their ideas always win when people resort to initiating violence because their every idea is rooted in initiation of violence. Violence of the rulers upon the ruled.

This is not to say violence used as defense against them will be praised, quite the opposite. You've seen already how they react when it's not "their" flavor of violence.

ZENemy
12-09-2013, 02:34 PM
“Until they become conscious, they will never rebel and until after they have rebelled, they cannot become conscious.” - George Orwell

Todd
12-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Spring you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRdHA1ruydY

ClydeCoulter
12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
This is exactly what TPTB want. They will take every chance they can to push violent upheaval. Their ideas always win when people resort to initiating violence because their every idea is rooted in initiation of violence. Violence of the rulers upon the ruled.

This is not to say violence used as defense against them will be praised, quite the opposite. You've seen already how they react when it's not "their" flavor of violence.

^^ This ^^

Some of the "rulers" would love for people to start burning their own neighborhoods and looting stores nationwide. It would be a good excuse to "crack down" and finish the total police state. (For you protection, of course /sarc)

jllundqu
12-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Time yet?

Matthew5
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Hardly...one of the biggest spy cases in U.S. history hit with Snowden and most people could barely muster a few op/eds. People are content because the system is ingrained in them. From kindergarten they're taught that police are your friends, you have a role in government, if you want change then vote, and that we're all about freedom. It'll probably be a minority liberty fringe movement that will snap first and they'll be quickly quelled. The rest of the nation will watch with disgust and then "get with the program". Gotta get that new iphone!

ZENemy
12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Hardly...one of the biggest spy cases in U.S. history hit with Snowden and most people could barely muster a few op/eds. People are content because the system is ingrained in them. From kindergarten they're taught that police are your friends, you have a role in government, if you want change then vote, and that we're all about freedom. It'll probably be a minority liberty fringe movement that will snap first and they'll be quickly quelled. The rest of the nation will watch with disgust and then "get with the program". Gotta get that new iphone!

Even the oldest sheep are starting to wake up to all you have listed.

I work at a pretty big real estate agency, our seniors guys (lets say age 55+) used to call me a nut and echo that of mainstream news. I would have to say that these guys are WIDE awake now. There has been a huge, HUGE shift in trust and faith in gov over the last 2 years in my opinion.

The people that called me a nut 2 years ago now have morning chit chats with me asking me what I think is going to happen.

matt0611
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Hardly. They're not about to do anything.

And if they did it would be in opposite direction of freedom. It would be pushing to loot, extort money from other groups (the "rich") and give to them.

Or it would be for more government control and mandates (higher minimum wage etc), because we all know how well mandates work right?

12-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Absolutely not coming. As long as boobus has iphones, myfacespace $5 starbucks , a sport in season, can keep up with the kardashians and somebody twerked they have no interest in overthrowing a government. I am very sure of this.

better-dead-than-fed
12-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Americans are too fat for this sort of thing.

better-dead-than-fed
12-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Plus everyone reading this thread should be imprisoned for calling for armed insurrection.

12-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't want an insurrection. I want to elect good leader and follow the constitution. That goal hasn't slipped beyond reach yet.

Matthew5
12-09-2013, 07:28 PM

I work at a pretty big real estate agency, our seniors guys (lets say age 55+) used to call me a nut and echo that of mainstream news. I would have to say that these guys are WIDE awake now. There has been a huge, HUGE shift in trust and faith in gov over the last 2 years in my opinion.

The people that called me a nut 2 years ago now have morning chit chats with me asking me what I think is going to happen.

Good, let's cash out those IRAs and 401ks and fund this revolution! ;)

tangent4ronpaul
12-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Plus everyone reading this thread should be imprisoned for calling for armed insurrection.

The OP is calling for a non-violent revolution.

Did you read it?

-t

better-dead-than-fed
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
The OP is calling for a non-violent revolution.

Did you read it?

I just think more people should be imprisoned in general.

There will be no revolution either way. The OP is just sort of complaining but with no direction. I think there will be an increase in the kock-out game, but that's all that will come of this.

enhanced_deficit
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
In quick check, all the "American Springs" seem to be located outside US, almost none inside US..odd.

http://politix.topix.com/img/ESKVL0V01US7FHSI-rszw514.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=sGS6stoXnY5MTM&tbnid=PLTJ1qt3Mq1tuM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpolitix.topix.com%2Fnews%2F7558-obama-administration-secretly-suspended-egypt-aid-senator-claims&ei=jm-mUsmRNdPrkAegqYGYBw&bvm=bv.57799294,bs.1,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNH8JlkTwdbPSzx7qBg4AWd64E2eQA&ust=1386725515858652)
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/archive/storage/images/media/images/2010/0417/0417-obama-same-sex-hospital-visitation-rights/7744392-1-eng-US/0417-obama-same-sex-hospital-visitation-rights_full_600.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=h9Ks5KPSw4hKbM&tbnid=HqYyN-fToyppaM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csmonitor.com%2FUSA%2FSociety %2F2010%2F0416%2FHospital-visitation-latest-step-in-delicate-dance-on-gay-rights&ei=unCmUu6LLdONkAeVzoHIAw&bvm=bv.57799294,bs.1,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNH8JlkTwdbPSzx7qBg4AWd64E2eQA&ust=1386725515858652)

green73
12-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Nope, we're only peaceful and must remain so. Violence is the MO of the State. This government, and all others, can be easily toppled as soon as the people withdraw consent (http://archive.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard78.html). Some say it can be done so easily if the people en masse register tax exempt status with their employers. <---for the sake of my neck, I know nothing of this idea.

Matthew5
12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't want an insurrection. I want to elect good leader and follow the constitution. That goal hasn't slipped beyond reach yet.

Good luck with that. The poison runs to the roots, my friend.

better-dead-than-fed
12-09-2013, 07:56 PM
If the people en masse register tax exempt status with their employers, TPTB will just ignore it keep doing what it's doing. If you resist or support this or anything like it, TPTB will just make it harder on you. You say you know nothing of this idea, but everyone can see you're what you're up to. This thread should be locked.

ClydeCoulter
12-09-2013, 08:16 PM
What leap forward have we seen?

Yes, we saw a "stand your ground" with the 2nd Amendment and Syria, lately. And, lots of "push back" (O'care,etc) But what leap forward?

green73
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
If the people en masse register tax exempt status with their employers, TPTB will just ignore it keep doing what it's doing. If you resist or support this or anything like it, TPTB will just make it harder on you. You say you know nothing of this idea, but everyone can see you're what you're up to. This thread should be locked.

You're on the list.

Matthew5
12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
The 50's and 60's were the last time a "spring" happened in the U.S. Although the anti-war movement didn't ultimately succeed, I'd argue that real change happened with the Civil Rights Movement and the Labor Movement.

Let's contrast that against our recent movements, it'd be fair to say that the major movements have been: Tea Party, Gay Marriage Rights, Occupy, and the Liberty Movement (some would argue this is an offshoot of the TP movement). Only one of these have actually accomplished anything, gay marriage, and that's been 50 years in the making, or whenever Stonewall happened.

I'm not talking politicians elected, that's not social change. What recent movement has brought about fundamental change?

WM_in_MO
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
The 50's and 60's were the last time a "spring" happened in the U.S. Although the anti-war movement didn't ultimately succeed, I'd argue that real change happened with the Civil Rights Movement and the Labor Movement.

Let's contrast that against our recent movements, it'd be fair to say that the major movements have been: Tea Party, Gay Marriage Rights, Occupy, and the Liberty Movement (some would argue this is an offshoot of the TP movement). Only one of these have actually accomplished anything, gay marriage, and that's been 50 years in the making, or whenever Stonewall happened.

I'm not talking politicians elected, that's not social change. What recent movement has brought about fundamental change?

Even those were twisted to the purposes of the state.

Matthew5
12-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Even those were twisted to the purposes of the state.

Agreed, most of the social change that occurred empowered the state even more so. But it's real change nonetheless. Even with the gay marriage victory, it allows deeper government oversight in the area of marriage. So the past 100 years has been progressive after progressive victories.

Koz
12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Getting pretty close though.

Dianne
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
When more people understand what they are going to have to be forced to pay for Obamacare; in many cases as much as their monthly house payment, with a 6,000. to $13,000. deductible that resets every year, and forced to go to an Obama selected Doctor ..... I have no doubt the revolution will begin.

pcosmar
12-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Why do you think you need a "leader"?

ZENemy
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Good, let's cash out those IRAs and 401ks and fund this revolution! ;)

LOL

ZENemy
12-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Nope, we're only peaceful and must remain so. Violence is the MO of the State. This government, and all others, can be easily toppled as soon as the people withdraw consent (http://archive.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard78.html). Some say it can be done so easily if the people en masse register tax exempt status with their employers. <---for the sake of my neck, I know nothing of this idea.

Great article you posted from LR.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Why do you think you need a "leader"?

It was a typo. I left off the s. We need good leaders. Good governors, congressmen, senators and presidents. That's the system our country was founded on and it works.

jbauer
12-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Bingo, happening at our office (although not real estate) All the way up to the 70+ yrs old.

jbauer
12-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Kidding right? The teaparty sent a ton of folks to Washington. The Liberty movement has a top contender for 2016. "We've" exposed the world for what it is through the snowden leaks. I'd call that a TON of good stuff in less than a 3 year time period.

pcosmar
12-10-2013, 01:01 PM
It was a typo. I left off the s. We need good leaders. Good governors, congressmen, senators and presidents. That's the system our country was founded on and it works.

NO.. it wasn't.
We Elect representatives.. To Represent us.
They are not supposed to lead.

Dr.3D
12-10-2013, 01:24 PM
NO.. it wasn't.
Yep, I don't know how people ever came to the idea we need leaders.

Danke
12-10-2013, 01:35 PM
You're on the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_966692&feature=iv&src_vid=1b_gmO7AJS4&v=5X9tvMadfXU

jllundqu
12-10-2013, 01:41 PM
There will never be a 2nd american revolution:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/5/50639/3288057-captain-murica-32716.jpg
http://www.break.com/pictures/elf-2303487
http://danbojangles.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/miley-cyrus-twerk-vma-2013-robin-thicke.jpg?w=470&h=444
http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/main_photos/2013/November/CNN%20Fox%20MSNBC_0.jpg?1385566723
http://www.tailgatelot.com/storage/post-images/professional-tailgater-competition-1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1279055175276

I rest my case.

AuH20
12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
There will never be a 2nd american revolution:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/5/50639/3288057-captain-murica-32716.jpg
http://www.break.com/pictures/elf-2303487
http://danbojangles.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/miley-cyrus-twerk-vma-2013-robin-thicke.jpg?w=470&h=444
http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/main_photos/2013/November/CNN%20Fox%20MSNBC_0.jpg?1385566723
http://www.tailgatelot.com/storage/post-images/professional-tailgater-competition-1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1279055175276

I rest my case.

Revolutions are fought by a small, determined cadre of individuals. The masses will always be the masses.

12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
NO.. it wasn't.

If that were the case America would be a democracy not a constitutional republic.

AuH20
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM

The system feeds itself at all costs and collateral damage. End of story. We need a reboot.

Dr.3D
12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
If that were the case America would be a democracy not a constitutional republic.
Gosh, maybe they need to rename the "House of Representatives" to the "House of Leaders."

12-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Gosh, maybe they need to rename the "House of Representatives" to the "House of Leaders."

You do know that senators were never originally intended to be directly elected right? Before the 17th ammendment the state legislatures elected senators. Senators were intended to be the best of society, kind of like the house of lords in the UK.

So again, yes leaders.

Matthew5
12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Kidding right? The teaparty sent a ton of folks to Washington. The Liberty movement has a top contender for 2016. "We've" exposed the world for what it is through the snowden leaks. I'd call that a TON of good stuff in less than a 3 year time period.

Elected officials aren't necessarily a good indicator of change. Ron Paul was rather politically ineffective by most standards nor did he represent a large portion of American society. He was effectual, no doubt, but not really the result of a massive social movement.

cjm
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
NO.. it wasn't.

representatives, leaders, or rulers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5HMH4h0EY

Dr.3D
12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
You do know that senators were never originally intended to be directly elected right? Before the 17th ammendment the state legislatures elected senators. Senators were intended to be the best of society, kind of like the house of lords in the UK.

So again, yes leaders.
Who was talking about the senate?

paulbot24
12-10-2013, 04:20 PM
This article reinforces the official narrative that the "Arab Spring" was comprised of several nations whose people were tired of the corruption and wanted "change." Not the fact that the so-called Arab Spring was about America and its whore media creating conditions in the streets which were designed to stir up resentment in the very secular governments that they had put in place. Using bribes and covert arms trades, their aims were to topple secular administrations and their leaders while blaming "militant religious extremism" and simultaneously exploiting the actual people living there. Any real angst the people had with the puppets America had chosen to rule over them were used against them to justify more killing in order to de-stabilize them further and promote mob-rule democracy which only truly serves the elites and the MIC which they use to justify the reason they are there in the first place.

pcosmar
12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Senators were intended to be the best of society, kind of like the house of lords in the UK.

So again, yes leaders.

It is hard to fix a problem if the wiring is backwards.

Matthew5
12-10-2013, 04:33 PM
This article reinforces the official narrative that the "Arab Spring" was comprised of several nations whose people were tired of the corruption and wanted "change." Not the fact that the so-called Arab Spring was about America and its whore media creating conditions in the streets which were designed to stir up resentment in the very secular governments that they had put in place. Using bribes and covert arms trades, their aims were to topple secular administrations and their leaders while blaming "militant religious extremism" and simultaneously exploiting the actual people living there. Any real angst the people had with the puppets America had chosen to rule over them were used against them to justify more killing in order to de-stabilize them further and promote mob-rule democracy which only truly serves the elites and the MIC which they they use to justify the reason they are there in the first place.

Good overview, and why you can't really compare the manufactured (most likely) revolutions of the Arab world with what's going on over here.

I would posit that the author uses the Arab Spring as a means to deflect suspicion of insurrection.