PDA

View Full Version : In Detroit, Rand Paul says justice system treats minorities unfairly

jct74
12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
In Detroit, Rand Paul says justice system treats minorities unfairly

By Alana Semuels
December 6, 2013, 4:01 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8lLOP7f3Ng

The senator from Kentucky had an important question for Republicans in Michigan.

“How are you supposed to make child support payments if you’ve been in prison, and the best job you can get is $9 an hour?” Sen. Rand Paul asked, wearing a suit and tie at the opening of a new GOP office on Livernois Avenue in Detroit.

Child support, prison and the war on drugs are not usual topics for the GOP senator, who had previously gained media attention for launching a filibuster against President Obama’a nominee to head the CIA because Paul questioned the administration’s use of drones.

“These are things you haven’t heard Republicans talking about,” he said. “So I’m glad to be part of this today, not only just to mean that Republicans are showing up where we haven’t been, but with a new message and policy.”

In the short speech, Paul talked about how the so-called war on drugs has disproportionately incarcerated blacks and Latinos, and said he was advocating that judges have more discretion during sentencing in drug cases. He also mentioned that many convicted felons can’t vote and have trouble finding jobs, which makes their lives more difficult.

“Something has to change,” he said. “The war on drugs has gone awry.”

read more:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-rand-paul-detroit-minorities-gop-20131206,0,5668979.story#axzz2mvYRgAJ5

tod evans
12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Personally I think this is the wrong approach to addressing the failings of the "Just-Us" system.

The proponents of it will just push for more "majority" arrests and convictions.

Given the numbers and victim mentality of his audience in Detroit it'll play well.

Southron
12-08-2013, 05:38 PM
He has done quite a bit of pandering to blacks and Hispanics. I guess time will tell if it pays off.

ObiRandKenobi
12-08-2013, 06:43 PM
He has done quite a bit of pandering to blacks and Hispanics. I guess time will tell if it pays off.

"Just win baby!" - Ron Paul

DFF
12-08-2013, 10:10 PM
The "War on Drugs" is the most evil thing the US government has ever done.

The anguish and pain it's caused for millions and millions of Americans over the past forty years is without measure.

Admit it's wrong; end the war; release the prisoners.

HOLLYWOOD
12-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Personally I think this is the wrong approach to addressing the failings of the "Just-Us" system.

The proponents of it will just push for more "majority" arrests and convictions.

Given the numbers and victim mentality of his audience in Detroit it'll play well.YEP... and that's exactly what they'll do... turning up the police state to arrest everyone and anyone of the majority to slant the numbers. The people/citizens lose and the propaganda will play the JUST-US system as fair and balanced.

Has anyone explained the "JUST-US" System to Rand yet? He obviously doesn't get it or dares not to speak of the truth of the corrupt and racketeering system of the privileged and suppression of the proletariat.

America, 4.6% of the world's population and over 25% of the world's incarcerated, in the U.S. Prison Industrial Complex-POLICE STATE. There's a 'U-S-A, U-S-A...' moment in the ignoble category of the country being #1 in the world.

idiom
12-08-2013, 11:22 PM

Given the numbers and victim mentality of his audience in Detroit it'll play well.

Arrest the Majority!