PDA

View Full Version : College Honors Student Shot and Killed in San Antonio During Routine Traffic Stop

SeanTX
12-07-2013, 10:31 AM
The article is short on details, but it sounds like a parking lot execution for "contempt of cop." The cop having had nine jobs at eight different agencies tells us all we need to know about him. Campus cops are probably some of the worst -- glorified meter maids who are just craving some "real" action.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519842/Valedictorian-honors-student-shot-dead-college-campus-cop-routine-traffic-stop.html#ixzz2mo5Uffan

Valedictorian and honors student shot dead by college campus cop during routine traffic stop

By Alex Greig

PUBLISHED: 10:05 EST, 7 December 2013 | UPDATED: 10:35 EST, 7 December 2013

A Texas university student has been shot dead by a campus police officer during a routine traffic stop.

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, was killed when Corporal Chris Carter, 35, opened fire on him in the early hours of Friday morning a few blocks away from the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio where Redus studied, set to graduate in May.

Investigators say an altercation began when Carter tried to pull Redus over for speeding and driving erratically.

Lieutenant Cindy Pruitt of the Alamo Heights Police Department told KSAT that the incident occurred about 2am in the parking lot of the Tree House apartments in the 100 block of Grandview Place off Broadway, where Redus was a resident.

snip

Once there, both got out of their cars and some kind of struggle ensued. Pruitt told My San Antonio that Carter radioed for help shortly before Redus was shot.

A witness who lives in the Treehouse Apartments described hearing 'five or six' gunshots, but no verbal warnings.

'I didn't hear him say anything like, "Get down on your hands and knees," you know? I didn't hear him say anything. He just started shooting,' the man told KSAT.

'He emptied the gun on him,' he said. 'Boom, boom, boom.'

snip

Mohammad Haidarasl lives directly below Redus at the Treehouse Apartments.

He told My San Antonio that he was asleep on his sofa when he heard an exchange between Redus and Carter.

'I heard [a man] say, "Oh, you're gonna shoot me?" like sarcastic almost,' he said.

Less than a minute later, Haidarasl heard four to six gunshots. He only realized the man who had been shot was his upstairs neighbor, whom Haidrasl described as 'the nicest guy.'

Carter has been placed on administrative leave while officers investigate the shooting.

University officials describe him as having 'extensive law enforcement background.'

According to records viewed by My San Antonio, Carter has had nine jobs at eight different agencies over his eight-year law enforcement career.

Red Green
12-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Wow, this brave officer has quite the impressive breadth of experience on his resume. Thank goodness he made it home safe!

Czolgosz
12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Glad the officer is safe, let freedom ring! God bless the hero's. Support the troops! Exceptional!

Did I miss anything?

FrankRep
12-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Don't attack the Police. Bad things happen.

UIW student shot, killed by campus police during traffic stop, police say (http://www.kens5.com/news/University-of-police-officer-shoots-kills-driver-during-traffic-stop-authorities-say-234733951.html)

Ken 5
December 6, 2013

Investigators said the UIW officer attempted to pull Redus over on Broadway Street for 'driving erratically.' When the victim finally pulled over at the apartment complex, police said Redus got out of his truck and attacked Carter.

A struggle ensued between the officer and Redus before Carter opened fire and fatally shot the student.

Anti Federalist
12-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Unarmed and had no fear.

And is now dead.

Anti Federalist
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
100% correct.

At least not with sarcastic words and contempt.

UIW student shot, killed by campus police during traffic stop, police say (http://www.kens5.com/news/University-of-police-officer-shoots-kills-driver-during-traffic-stop-authorities-say-234733951.html)

Ken 5
December 6, 2013

Investigators said the UIW officer attempted to pull Redus over on Broadway Street for 'driving erratically.' When the victim finally pulled over at the apartment complex, police said Redus got out of his truck and attacked Carter.

A struggle ensued between the officer and Redus before Carter opened fire and fatally shot the student.

SeanTX
12-07-2013, 11:06 AM

There's always an apologist for anything they do. I'd have to see some video before I'd take some cop's word on "being attacked." The kid probably just "attacked" him by daring to speak back to him (contempt of cop) .

There was the case in Dallas a couple of months back where a cop shot a guy who was approaching him with a knife. Only probably was, video showed that the man was just standing there and the cop closed in on him then opened fire. Yeah, hard to believe I know, a cop would never lie.

Actually just exiting his car without the permission of a magic costumed one was enough to get him killed (and apologists would defend that too).

aGameOfThrones
12-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Gypsy Life 4 Ever!

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Bump.

James Madison
12-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Can't find anything on the murderer. If this were a mundane, his mug would be plastered all over the news.

Kodaddy
12-07-2013, 11:11 PM
"I was afraid...scared...I feared for my safety....so I followed department policy...and I was, like, pew,pew, pew, and I got the 'bad guy'....I'M A FUCKING MAN!!!...respect my authority!...high five...high five..."

...and not a fuck was given...

bolil
12-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Like a child that peeks at his presents the night before, so will people be shocked by this on the day of. Welcome to what you invited. RIP Kelly Thomas.

bolil
12-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Pigs continue grunting and there seems to be no shortage of surprise. Just another human being that could've been anyone buried 'neath the specious blue lead.

s
Makes me want to believe in a deistic adjudicator of some sort. But I don't think there is any justice to be had here, or after, and when I say here I mean all of it. It isn't that justice is a purely, innately, human concept, its just that it doesn't exist corporeally... just another figment. A noble figment, but contrived none-the-less.

If fear is justice, then it surrounds us.

FindLiberty
12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
There might be some interesting background stories here: "had nine jobs at eight different agencies"

Aiding and abetting that lead up to this leading up?

belian78
12-08-2013, 11:11 AM
A friend of his posted this on Reddit last night, and explained that the only part of the interaction that anyone witnessed was a guy that lived the floor below the victim heard dude get out of the car and say 'what, are you gonna shoot me now?' After that the guy heard what he said was 'a bunch of shots, 5 or 6'.

Apparently the murderer had turned his lights on to pull the victim over a few blocks from the dorms, instead of pulling over the victim drove to his parking lot and got out, he had been celebrating finishing up his finals. So it seems he was murdered in cold blood for not stopping in what the murderer felt was an appropriate amount of time.

SeanTX
12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
On the topic of raging TX school cops, here's a story about a Texas high school student who is in a coma because he was tased by his school's "resource officer". It looks like his only crime was contempt of cop :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515388/Family-sues-Texas-boy-17-coma-tasered-cop.html

I've noticed in the past few years a lot of cases of "mild-mannered, good kids" supposedly attacking the police (though to the police just simply "mouthing off" to them can be considered an attack, and I think that may be what happened in the San Antonio case).

A couple of years back near Dallas there was a young man (who I believe had no criminal record), who attacked a police station; he set off an explosive in a vehicle and then fired over 100 rounds at the police station, before killing himself.

And a recent case of a local kid who was attending Liberty University -- he was also an honor student/valedictorian-type, mild mannered and all of that. He allegedly lured a campus cop to his dorm room with a false report of a stolen vehicle, and then attacked him with a hammer. And the cop blew him away, which, if this went down the way it's claimed to have, I can understand why the cop shot him.

Still, I just have to wonder about the kid's motivations though, I would suspect perhaps he had a bad encounter with a cop in the past, maybe at Liberty U. or with a "school resource officer" in high school, and for some reason (mental illness?) he couldn't let it go and snapped and decided to get some payback. Not to defend him luring in a cop and trying to kill him -- but , such things can happen when the police are abusive (even just verbally) and lose the respect of the citizens -- "us versus them" can go both ways.

Not everyone is going to go meekly along with the kind of abuse that can happen even in "routine" traffic stops. Most who don't will just "mouth off" , but even that can get you killed. Anyway, I'm not trying to excuse people "attacking" the police, but still you have to consider the things that may be driving people to do it (even "mild-mannered" people).

belian78
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM
It's very telling that most of these murderous cop stories, and other stories that point out what a sorry state this country is in, are all coming from international news outlets.

ClydeCoulter
12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Pigs continue grunting and there seems to be no shortage of surprise. Just another human being that could've been anyone buried 'neath the specious blue lead.

s
Makes me want to believe in a deistic adjudicator of some sort. But I don't think there is any justice to be had here, or after, and when I say here I mean all of it. It isn't that justice is a purely, innately, human concept, its just that it doesn't exist corporeally... just another figment. A noble figment, but contrived none-the-less.

If fear is justice, then it surrounds us.

100,000 years from now, when some creature learns to dig deep, they will find the bones of some ancient creature that resemble a specie that they have in their zoos. A weak and loathsome creature that feeds on it's own, they must be kept separate for their own safety, except to mate, lest they become extinct.