PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's speech in Detroit will be on C-SPAN 12:35 ET

tsai3904
12-06-2013, 10:32 AM
GOP Sen. Rand Paul outlines his plan to help revitalize bankrupt Detroit before the Detroit Economic Club. Paul, a 2016 potential presidential candidate, wants to establish "economic freedom zones" in the city via legislation he introduces Monday.

Video:
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/316669-1

[Update: Tube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtwpI4xn4o

VoluntaryAmerican
12-06-2013, 11:35 AM
coming on next

Keith and stuff
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Give me an economic freedom zone! I'm concerned about the idea. It gives the people that vote for the worst candidates extra freedom. And it punishes the freest parts of the US.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Any city with 12% or more unemployment will be eligible for the economic freedom zones. Corporate taxes and others will be cut dramatically.

"Will over a 10 year period leave 1.3 billion dollars in Detroit," "Will be left to create jobs here, it will go back to the people who earned it."

VoluntaryAmerican
12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Give me an economic freedom zone! I'm concerned about the idea. It gives the people that vote for the worst candidates extra freedom. And it punishes the freest parts of the US.

How would freeing Detroit punish free-er places like NH?

VoluntaryAmerican
12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Rand's talking about minimum mandatory sentencing reform now.

Now school choice.

Keith and stuff
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
How would freeing Detroit punish free-er places like NH?

Because businesses in Detroit would have dramatically lower federal tax rates. It wouldn't just hurt freer places like NH (when no city would qualify because their aren't any failed cities). Companies around MI, for example, might relocated to Detroit. So, in other words, it would drive money and jobs away from successful, decently run places, to unsuccessful, poorly run places.

FSP-Rebel
12-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Because businesses in Detroit would have dramatically lower federal tax rates. It wouldn't just hurt freer places like NH (when no city would qualify because their aren't any failed cities). Companies around MI, for example, might relocated to Detroit. So, in other words, it would drive money and jobs away from successful, decently run places, to unsuccessful, poorly run places.
Dude, it's to create a template to show that freer markets work and drive a stake in the heart of Washington DC and much of what it stands for. And, once these free market concepts start to own the progressives across the board, they'll have traction to be everywhere. I'm super excited about this and, having watched his speech, have never been more proud of Rand as I am right now. He killed it!

specsaregood
12-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Dude, it's to create a template to show that freer markets work and drive a stake in the heart of Washington DC and much of what it stands for. And, once these free market concepts start to own the progressives across the board, they'll have traction to be everywhere. I'm super excited about this and, having watched his speech, have never been more proud of Rand as I am right now. He killed it!

It harkens back to his fathers suggestion to make the Katrina zone a tax free zone, rather than spending money on it.

Keith and stuff
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
On running for President in 2016, Rand had this to say:
He said there are 2 votes in his family and they are both his wife's votes and they are both no votes :( Hopefully he changes her position on him running for President!

tsai3904
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Full video will be posed here:
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/316669-1

VoluntaryAmerican
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Yeah, that's the message I got. I don't think freeing anyone is a "punishment" to others... I agree with Keith it's not fair though. I still think overall it's a good idea.

And yes he rocked that speech... got a standing ovation.

Rocco
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
I hear you about creating different conditions in different places, but I would submit you're getting dragged down into the minutia and not seeing the big picture here. If Rand's plan were instituted Detroit would become one of the largest centers of capital in the nation overnight again. People will finally be shown irrefutably that lower taxes and less regulation is what stimulates growth, which will be a HUGE blow to progressivism. FSP is right, this is Rand's finest moment.

CaseyJones
12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hZqoxmyow8

tsai3904
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Tube

fyi, the tube doesnt includes his q&a at the end

CaseyJones
12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
fyi, the tube doesnt includes his q&a at the end

well its his channel complain to him :p

tsai3904
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
well its his channel complain to him :p

yea I understand...just letting people know if they want to watch the q&a, its in the c-span link

CaseyJones
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
yea I understand...just letting people know if they want to watch the q&a, its in the c-span link

I updated the front page post with the C-Span link and explained the Q&A could be found there

FSP-Rebel
12-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Bastiat's The Law
12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Can someone tube the entire speech including the Q&A?

jct74
12-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Can someone tube the entire speech including the Q&A?

georgiaboy
12-07-2013, 10:16 AM
bump for excellence! Rand is piecing together parts of an agenda that can take the country in a new, better direction. These tax incentive zones are a great idea.

Seems to me he left a lot of meat on the bone during the Q&A. His answers about minority outreach and getting bipartisan support for his economic zone bill didn't seem to be too well thought out. I would've figured he'd have nice polished replies for those predictable questions.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2013, 08:55 AM
bump for excellence! Rand is piecing together parts of an agenda that can take the country in a new, better direction. These tax incentive zones are a great idea.

Seems to me he left a lot of meat on the bone during the Q&A. His answers about minority outreach and getting bipartisan support for his economic zone bill didn't seem to be too well thought out. I would've figured he'd have nice polished replies for those predictable questions.

This is a pretty brilliant idea and Rand sells it well.