PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul one of the 100 Leading Global Thinkers of the year, Foreign Policy Magazine says.

politics
12-05-2013, 06:41 PM
http://imgs.zinio.com/magimages/6484299/2013/416287275_370.jpghttp://imgs.zinio.com/magimages/6484299/2013/416287275_toc1_1260.jpg

Rand Paul one of the 100 Leading Global Thinkers of the year Foreign Policy Magazine says.

Foreign Policy Magazine remarks in its edition of Nov-Dec 2013

he is a leading global thinker as a CHALLENGER -in the same page with Pope Francis-

“FOR CHALLENGING AMERICA’S HAWKS OF BOTH PARTIES”

“On Syria, for instance, Paul opposes military strikes and he blasted U.S. plans to aid the opposition..."

Updated with link: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/2013_global_thinkers/public/

Natural Citizen
12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Hm. Weird. Some of us can't seem to get an answer from him regarding the most simple of questions like his position on sciences and technology specific to such things as biotechnology that really does affect foreign policy as much as the citizens here in the states but yet here he is being touted as some kind of global thinker. Especially considering that the economic future of the United States depends on our tradition of technological innovation.

I think it's maybe a good idea to bring up some of the genuine global issues and see where he provides a position. Like the really important stuff.

To be fair though, I haven't read the article so maybe I'm over reaching but top global thinkers is a very prestigious list. You don't just get placed into that category by serving as a glorified pop-up ad for biotech and belching on big gulps for the camera and propping up twinkie culture.

William R
12-05-2013, 08:25 PM
bump

VoluntaryAmerican
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Ron Paul was #50

In 2011, RonPaulism went mainstream in U.S. presidential politics. Four years ago, the Fed-bashing, gold-standard-pushing, unapologetically isolationist Texas representative was a far-flung outlier among Republican primary candidates. Then came the Republicans' 2010 congressional election wins and the startling success of the Tea Party movement -- of which Ron Paul's brand of libertarianism was a precursor.

Now Paul, a long-shot presidential hopeful once again, faces the opposite problem in the 2012 race: a slate of GOP contenders who are tearing pages out of his half-dozen books. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann blasted the allied intervention in Libya, and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman says it's time to "bring those troops home" from Afghanistan, while Texas Gov. Rick Perry threatened Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke in language that even Paul might not use. They may not have the stomach for the full Ron -- say, commiserating with Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons, as Paul did loudly in an August debate, or declaring that President Barack Obama should be impeached for assassinating American citizen Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen. But the Republican Party's eventual nominee is likely to have walked at least part of the way to victory in Paul's quirky footsteps.

politics
12-05-2013, 09:18 PM
The article describes the struggle with the -hawks- of both parties, and some of his achivements about
Syria, drones and NSA

Natural Citizen
12-05-2013, 09:19 PM
The article describes the struggle with the -hawks- of both parties, and some of his achivements about
Syria, drones and NSA

Ah. I see. So then it was specific.

anaconda
12-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Stellar Achievement and esteemed list: Rand is apparently #71, with Paul Ryan scoring #8 and Barry Soetoro #7. With Bill & Hillary and Bill Gates and Melinda all making the top ten. Dick Cheney finishes far ahead of Rand at #38.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/30/1165927/-Paul-Ryan-is-a-Top-10-Global-Thinker-Really#

politics
12-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Stellar Achievement and esteemed list: Rand is apparently #71, with Paul Ryan scoring #8 and Barry Soetoro #7. With Bill & Hillary and Bill Gates and Melinda all making the top ten. Dick Cheney finishes far ahead of Rand at #38.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/30/1165927/-Paul-Ryan-is-a-Top-10-Global-Thinker-Really#

That was last year, and for what I see he is the only gop member in the list.

philipped
12-06-2013, 03:36 AM
It's a good look he's on it in my opinion. Exposure is good at this point in "potential" 2016 run...

eleganz
12-06-2013, 04:02 AM
Link to article please?

Every time there is a POS hit piece on Rand or Ron people are posting the links giving them the attention that they want.

politics
12-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Link to article please?

Every time there is a POS hit piece on Rand or Ron people are posting the links giving them the attention that they want.

I haven't been able to find a link yet.
Maybe someone with better internet skills can find one.

Warlord
12-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I haven't been able to find a link yet.
Maybe someone with better internet skills can find one.

Hi politics, you probably have to buy the magazine or a subscription

Suzanimal
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Link to article please?

This is from 2012, sorry.

Here's the Rand Paul bit

71 RAND PAUL
For telling America to come home.
Senator | Washington

In the years since the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, the Republican Party's base has grown increasingly wary of engagement overseas -- to the point where Republican primary voters in 2012 were split straight down the middle about whether the United States should intervene in world affairs whenever America's interests are challenged. And since 2010, when he rode the Tea Party wave to Washington, Rand Paul has quickly emerged as the standard-bearer for his party's noninterventionist wing. The freshman senator from Kentucky -- son of libertarian leader Ron Paul, the congressman who waved the come-home-America flag as an also-ran in this year's Republican presidential primaries -- has called for a "foreign policy of moderation" that "works within the confines of the Constitution and the realities of our fiscal crisis." He has also argued that a "more defensive foreign policy" is in the long-term interest of a Republican Party whose support is increasingly concentrated in the American South. "I think that would go over much better in New England than the typical 'we have to bomb everybody tomorrow' policy that you hear some Republicans have."

In practice, these views have translated into opposition to the Patriot Act, military intervention in Libya, aggressive rhetoric against Iran, and increases in defense spending. This year, Paul also held up a government-funding bill and several ambassadorial confirmations in an effort to cut foreign aid to Egypt, Libya, and Pakistan. "We send billions of taxpayer dollars abroad and what do we get in return?" he asked in September after the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. "Disrespect, disdain and, ultimately, violence." Plenty of Americans are starting to agree.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/11/26/the_fp_100_global_thinkers?page=0,45#thinker71

politics
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi politics, you probably have to buy the magazine or a subscription

The magazine did a good job and now is public and online.

LINK:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/2013_global_thinkers/public/

ObiRandKenobi
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
rand paul is the only leading republican with brains.

the rest are idiots. paul ryan's supposed to be smart but i see no evidence of it.

anaconda
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
That was last year, and for what I see he is the only gop member in the list.

My bad. Apologies.

mello
12-09-2013, 06:10 PM
What the hell is a Neo-Isolationist?

anaconda
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
What the hell is a Neo-Isolationist?

I think it's a pejorative that means weak, socially inept in the world, unsophisticated, and stuck in a backward era, harkening to the widespread antiwar sentiments in America before December 7, 1941.

politics
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I think it's a pejorative that means weak, socially inept in the world, unsophisticated, and stuck in a backward era, harkening to the widespread antiwar sentiments in America before December 7, 1941.

Exactly that!.
In a recent post made by Lucille there is an article explaining the use of the term "isolationism" and american public opinion

"Does that sound like “isolationism”? Hardly: if ever there was a term that deserved “scare quotes,” this is the one. As my Cato Institute colleague Justin Logan has pointed out, “isolationism” has always been a smear word designed to shut off debate. It was coined in the late 19th century by Alfred Thayer Mahan, “an ardent militarist, who used the term to slur opponents of American imperialism.”

Back then, you were an “isolationist” if you opposed “civilizing” the Philippines at the point of a bayonet. Today, you just might be an “isolationist” if you oppose lobbing Tomahawks at Syria to show you care.

The dangers of isolationism are everywhere: the Post warns that “a wholesale withdrawal [from Afghanistan] would also shut down the foreign-aid pipeline that keeps the Afghan state afloat.”

We’ve been in Afghanistan since before the iPod was introduced, when “YouTube” was a nonsense word. Sept. 11 babies are now hitting puberty."

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?435321-It-s-Not-Isolationist-For-America-To-Mind-Its-Own-Business&p=5337255#post5337255