PDA

View Full Version : Police Arrest Electric Car Owner For Recharging At Son's School

Brian4Liberty
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Arrested and charged for theft of 5 cents worth of electricity.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/12/04/Police-Arrest-Electric-Car-Owner-For-Plugging-In-At-His-Sons-School-And-Stealing-5-Cents

angelatc
12-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Arrested and charged for theft of 5 cents worth of electricity.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/12/04/Police-Arrest-Electric-Car-Owner-For-Plugging-In-At-His-Sons-School-And-Stealing-5-Cents

Seems over the top if it was the first time he did it, but I think it the school's in-house police officer was charging up his personal vehicle we'd all be mad about it.

Christian Liberty
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Seems over the top if it was the first time he did it, but I think it the school's in-house police officer was charging up his personal vehicle we'd all be mad about it.

I wouldn't be that mad, but I think its actually appropriate that public officials be held to a higher standard.

aGameOfThrones
12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
ElectricCare. You're welcome.

Brian4Liberty
12-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I wonder how it compares to other items plugged in. Hair dryer for instance.

angelatc
12-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I wonder how it compares to other items plugged in. Hair dryer for instance.

I'm a cheap cheap cheap person. I wouldn't let teachers charge their cell phones on the public dime, but I assume they probably do.

jkr
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
IF
YOU
YOUR
FREEDOM
WE
WILL
KEEP
IT

PaulConventionWV
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

I don't get it. Why would we be mad?

Brian4Liberty
12-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Because we wanted to plug into that outlet?

Danke
12-04-2013, 07:46 PM
In some parts of Alaska, like Fairbanks, many parking spots have outlets to plug into to keep the engine block warm. If you had an electric car...

Barrex
12-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Theft is theft.

Mani
12-05-2013, 05:02 AM
I don't care when people plug in their laptops or phone chargers in public places. Government staff or regular people.

I see it at the airport ALL the time.

I see it in Libraries and hotels as well. I've seen guests who are not staying at the hotel, but maybe waiting in the lounge or something or there for a meeting or conference, I've seen them plug in as well.

I can't see anyone being a charger Nazi over stupid petty stuff like this.

I can't fathom someone going to jail because they were trying to charge something on public property. IT also sounds like the guy's kid may be going to that school. So if he's paying the local/property taxes, doesn't he have a right to use the school property? Surely he's allowed to use the school in some capacity if he's fucking paying the bill anyway!!!

Argh this whole thing is ridiculous.

MRK
12-05-2013, 06:08 AM
I don't care when people plug in their laptops or phone chargers in public places. Government staff or regular people.

I see it in Libraries and hotels as well. I've seen guests who are not staying at the hotel, but maybe waiting in the lounge or something or there for a meeting or conference, I've seen them plug in as well.

I can't see anyone being a charger Nazi over stupid petty stuff like this.

I can't fathom someone going to jail because they were trying to charge something on public property. IT also sounds like the guy's kid may be going to that school. So if he's paying the local/property taxes, doesn't he have a right to use the school property? Surely he's allowed to use the school in some capacity if he's fucking paying the bill anyway!!!

Argh this whole thing is ridiculous.

Right, this is the first thing I thought of as well.

Pay hundreds of dollars to the local government in a year for providing for a school = 100% acceptable.

Plugging into a power outlet, a practice which is universally accepted, at the same school that you pay hundreds of dollars for, while drawing $0.05 of electricity = JAIL TIME SON.

Got State?

Mani
12-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Right, this is the first thing I thought of as well.

Pay hundreds of dollars to the local government in a year for providing for a school = 100% acceptable.

Plugging into a power outlet, a practice which is universally accepted, at the same school that you pay hundreds of dollars for, while drawing $0.05 of electricity = JAIL TIME SON.

Got State?

There is a SIGNIFICANT CHUNK of the population out there, that are FINE with this guy being arrested. And plenty that may think jail is slightly overboard, but he definitely committed a crime and theft is theft.

It's seeing that response that makes me want to WEEP for this country.

I would expect it to be 90% this is ridiculous and 10% nanny state lovers. But it's a lot closer than that. When was the exact moment this country lost its common sense and became full of nanny staters who love throwing people in jail for nothing and beat off to the power of Cops bullying people?

There's a guy who actually made the comment, something to the effect:

For those that say he's allowed to use it because he pays taxes, that's like me walking into my local police dept and picking up 500 rounds of ammo.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are we so dense???? This country is so FUCKED.

limequat
12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Plugging your Nissan Leaf into the school outlet is a Dick Move (TM).

Observing a Dick Move, then coming back with your buddies 11 days later to make an arrest and throw the dick in jail...is an even bigger dick move.

Why couldn't the cop just walk over and say, "Hey, you can't do that".
Oh I forgot. Because cop.

specsaregood
12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
But why would we be mad about it? That speaks to the crux of the problem. Because if it was a cop doing it, no arrest would have been made and none of us would have heard about it.

donnay
12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
But if he decided to walk to school to pick up his son, he would be arrested too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmAqE3Vpxk

angelatc
12-05-2013, 11:02 AM

For the same reason I'd be mad if a cop filled up his personal gas tank at the city's pump. It's theft.

Most of you will say it's not enough to worry about. I have zero tolerance.

Brian4Liberty
12-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Theft is theft.

Not really.

I have zero tolerance.

A lot of crime to fight...here's a start:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-december-4-2013-jehane-noujaim

angelatc
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Those plugs are put there for the convenience of their guests. Additionally, in the case of the hotel, it isn't tax money that's being siphoned. They choose to allow their guests, even those not booking a room, access to their power.

I promise you that if you are homeless, you can't live in their lobby though.

The school didn't put the plug there so the guy can charge up his car.

angelatc
12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Not really.

Get to work...here's a start:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-december-4-2013-jehane-noujaim

No, I don't watch TDS. Liberal propaganda isn't funny.

angelatc
12-05-2013, 11:09 AM

For those that say he's allowed to use it because he pays taxes, that's like me walking into my local police dept and picking up 500 rounds of ammo.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the analogy, but I also agree that arresting the guy is ridiculous. All they had to do was pull the plug and tell him to move on.

Barrex
12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Not really.

Ne razumijem.

pcosmar
12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Theft is theft.

Who is paying for the electricity for the school? Taxes?

Seems he would be using something he is already paying for.

Christian Liberty
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
For the same reason I'd be mad if a cop filled up his personal gas tank at the city's pump. It's theft.

Most of you will say it's not enough to worry about. I have zero tolerance.

first of all, you can't really steal stuff from the government. It doesn't really own anything. "Government property" is a euphamism for property stolen from regular people, which we can now say anyone has an equal claim to since its impossible to say who the rightful owner is. Would you care if someone 'stole' from the mafia? I wouldn't.

Second of all, stealing $0.05, even actual stealing, doesn't warrant jail time.

pcosmar
12-05-2013, 12:13 PM

That is where I plan to get mine,, when TSHTF.

Christian Liberty
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
There is a SIGNIFICANT CHUNK of the population out there, that are FINE with this guy being arrested. And plenty that may think jail is slightly overboard, but he definitely committed a crime and theft is theft.

It's seeing that response that makes me want to WEEP for this country.

I would expect it to be 90% this is ridiculous and 10% nanny state lovers. But it's a lot closer than that. When was the exact moment this country lost its common sense and became full of nanny staters who love throwing people in jail for nothing and beat off to the power of Cops bullying people?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, I'd have no issue with doing exactly that, morally speaking. It wouldn't be theft. It wouldn't end well, it would be considered to be theft, but its not theft.

Second of all, even if it were theft, 500 rounds > $0.05.

Third of all, nonviolent theft should NEVER be punished by locking people in a cage. Ever.

12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Kind of a waste of time and money. Police have the choice of discretionary enforcement. This seems like a good opportunity for a warning. I doubt the guy would do it again with a warning.

bunklocoempire
12-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Ah yes, the ol' conundrum of the ethical use of stolen funds...

Mani
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I agree with the analogy, but I also agree that arresting the guy is ridiculous. All they had to do was pull the plug and tell him to move on.

If the analogy was the guy went to a park and took the city water hose to fill up his water toy, i would say that is a proper example. Not picking up ammo. He didnt walk into the school and dismantle the basketball hoop in the gym in take it home.

And in parks they lock water hoses. They can put locks on outlets too.

Christian Liberty
12-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Ah yes, the ol' conundrum of the ethical use of stolen funds...

I don't blame those who choose to keep their use of government resources to a minimum, but those who do that and then pretend like those who use more are actually different in kind, as opposed to degree, are hypocrites, IMO.

In this case, the fact that the theft is legally protected actually does make a difference, unfortunately. And this is the reason why. If a mafia thug steals $100,000 (Random, high number) and I take it from him, I am not acting immorally. However, if I have the opportunity to restore the money to the victims, and I don't do so, I am acting immorally. Not because I "stole" from the mafia thug, but because I didn't restore it to the proper owner.

When its impossible to tell who exactly was stolen from, impossible to actually bring the thieves to justice, and when the thieves have Stockholm Syndrome to the point where they don't actually realize they were robbed (And thus would not take a returning of the stolen property seriously even if you could identify who exactly was stolen from), it gets trickier.

Men who are of the libertarian mindset should avoid overtly aggressing against their fellow man. Either don't be a cop, or if you do, refuse to enforce laws against "victimless crimes" (Not sure to what extent you can legally get away with this, but the principle is the point). Don't be a soldier, or if you do, refuse to aggress against the innocent (I know you can't necessarily get away with this legally, but again, the principle is the point.) Don't be a prosecutor, unless you refuse to prosecute drug cases and other cases with no victim (See the above two). Don't work as an IRS auditor, etc.

On the other hand, if you're simply taking tax money, but not actually an aggressor yourself, I wouldn't really say that's wrong anymore than using the roads is wrong, or calling the government police when a loved one is raped or murdered is wrong. The theft shouldn't be legal, but since it is, you make do with what you have.

I had this conversation with Eric Peters once, he's smarter than I'll ever be, but I honestly think his arguments against me on that point were a little bit hypocritical.

Brian4Liberty
12-05-2013, 08:41 PM
If the analogy was the guy went to a park and took the city water hose to fill up his water toy, i would say that is a proper example. Not picking up ammo. He didnt walk into the school and dismantle the basketball hoop in the gym in take it home.

And in parks they lock water hoses. They can put locks on outlets too.

Fill up the squirt gun at the drinking fountain.

Anti Federalist
12-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Exercising petty power.

angelatc
12-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Exercising petty power.

You know, nobody was every surprised when we found out that LE actually did have quotas regarding the number of traffic tickets they wrote. Now I'm wondering if there are arrest quotas that haven't come to light yet.

Crime has fallen in the past 30 years, while the number of cops on the street has risen. This despite the fact that they arrest people for looking sideways at them now. That has to be some sort of job security ploy.

erowe1
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Well, I have to admit, I have some sympathy for the police on this one. Who does this guy think he is? Self-righteous prig expecting the rest of us to pay for his sill save the planet games.