PDA

View Full Version : Radley Balko leaving HuffPo to join Washington Post

jct74
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Radley Balko joins Washington Post

By HADAS GOLD | 12/4/13 12:20 PM EST

Radley Balko is leaving his post as Senior Writer at the Huffington Post to join the Washington Post Opinions sections, where he will have his own blog on criminal justice, the drug war and civil liberties, the Post announced Wednesday.

Balko "has made headlines for his groundbreaking stories and investigations into the criminal justice system across America," Fed Hiatt, Editorial Page Editor, and James Downie, Digital Opinions Editor wrote in a memo. "His work has been cited by the U.S. Supreme Court and the Mississippi Supreme Court. Radley’s dogged reporting in the Cory Maye case helped get Maye freed from death row and later released from prison, and his investigations into the controversial methods of Mississippi pathologist Steven Hayne led to Hayne’s dismissal as the state’s top medical examiner."

In 2011 Balko was named "Journalist of the year" by the Los Angeles Press Club, and published a book this summer called “Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America’s Police Forces."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/radley-balko-joins-washington-post-178831.html

angelatc
12-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Isn't he a Reason / CATO alumni?

This is good news, unless he sells out. CATO people in particular have that tendency, it seems.

jct74
12-04-2013, 12:13 PM
press release:

RADLEY BALKO JOINS THE POST OPINION STAFF

Announcement from Fred Hiatt, Editorial Page Editor, and James Downie, Digital Opinions Editor:

We are delighted to announce that Radley Balko, one of the country’s top criminal justice reporters, will be joining The Washington Post’s Opinions section, where he will have his own blog about criminal justice, the drug war and civil liberties.

Radley has made headlines for his groundbreaking stories and investigations into the criminal justice system across America. His work has been cited by the U.S. Supreme Court and the Mississippi Supreme Court. Radley’s dogged reporting in the Cory Maye case helped get Maye freed from death row and later released from prison, and his investigations into the controversial methods of Mississippi pathologist Steven Hayne led to Hayne’s dismissal as the state’s top medical examiner. His first book, “Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America’s Police Forces,” has been praised across the political spectrum, and hailed as a “must read” and a “searing exposé…of police brutality.”

He was named Journalist of the Year in 2011 by the Los Angeles Press Club, which said “Radley Balko is one of those throw-back journalists that understands the power of groundbreaking reporting and how to make a significant impact through his work. Time and time again, his stories cause readers to stop, think, and most significantly, take action.”

Radley comes to The Post from The Huffington Post, where he was a senior writer and investigative reporter. He also writes about the music and culture of Nashville, Tennessee, where he lives. A graduate of Indiana University, Radley was previously a senior editor at Reason magazine, a policy analyst at the Cato Institute and an opinion columnist for FoxNews.com.

Radley will be joining us in January. Please join us in welcoming him to The Post.

http://washpostpr.tumblr.com/post/68986034636/radley-balko-joins-the-post-opinions-staff

jct74
12-04-2013, 12:17 PM

jct74
12-04-2013, 12:23 PM

This is good news, unless he sells out. CATO people in particular have that tendency, it seems.

he was at Reason for a very long time before he joined HuffPo about 2 years ago, and also was a policy analyst for Cato according to Wikipedia.

Lucille
12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes! He's too good for PuffHo and will reach a much wider audience at WaPo. Good call, Bezos! He got himself a national treasure which PuffHo never appreciated.

Matt Collins
12-04-2013, 12:41 PM

I know Radley, he ain't gonna sell out.

vita3
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Washington Post seems to be improving

VBRonPaulFan
12-04-2013, 01:35 PM
He did an awesome reddit AMA a while back. Good news.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I know Radley, he ain't gonna sell out.

Yep, not happening. His bread and butter is writing of police injustice. One of the best one's out there doing it.

better-dead-than-fed
12-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Balko, that "journalist" who doesn't hold FBI agents accountable when they steal all your property (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?434044-FBI-Guilty-Of-Theft-Evidence-Shows).

jonhowe
12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
I heard my dad, hardcore neocon, quoting Balko over thanksgiving. It was heartening. I wonder if the neocon press is sensing a trend?

axiomata
12-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Is this the first move under Bezos ownership? Good stuff, someone should keep track of a libertarian swing at the WaPo. George Will is also swinging more libertarian. Talk about the belly of the beast.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I heard my dad, hardcore neocon, quoting Balko over thanksgiving. It was heartening. I wonder if the neocon press is sensing a trend?

That's gold right there.

jct74
01-31-2014, 12:06 PM
here is Radley's new blog for Washington Post, the second link is the RSS feed which goes back further in time to his first entry on January 8th.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/radley-balko
http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/rss/radley-balko/

here is a link to his first blog post where he introduces himself and talks about what kind of stuff will be covered
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2014/01/08/an-introduction/

angelatc
01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Cool!

Still hoping Rubin gets the axe. In lieu of that, I'd hope to see Balko do some point-counter point stuff with her.

green73
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM
Man, I hate like hell that I have to enable javascript just to open a Wapo page.

angelatc
01-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Man, I hate like hell that I have to enable javascript just to open a Wapo page.

I use an RSS reader so that I don't actually have to go to the WaPo page.

Anti Federalist
01-31-2014, 12:21 PM
That explains why his "agitator" blog at HufPo wasn't being updated.

green73
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
I use an RSS reader so that I don't actually have to go to the WaPo page.

I use Feedly. Their stuff doesn't fully syndicate in that. What are you using?

jct74
01-31-2014, 12:26 PM
A drug dog named ‘Guilty’ -- excerpt from a blog entry a few days ago:

One of the more notorious parts of the country for this mess of targeted traffic stops, drug dogs and forfeiture are the eastern suburbs of St. Louis, the corridor around I-70 and I-64, including the Illinois towns of Collinsville, Maryville and Belleville. A couple years ago, I wrote about a particularly dubious stop in Collinsville of Terrance Huff, who also happens to be a documentary filmmaker. Huff has since filed a lawsuit, and through discovery is finding out all sorts of interesting things about how drug dogs are used in this area, by both local and state police. (Huff’s story was also the inspiration for a recent episode of “The Good Wife.”)

I bring all of this up because of a story Huff recently sent me from the Belleville Democrat about a fundraising effort to purchase a new K9 for the Belleville Police Department.

Guilty, like many Belleville residents, has strong ties to Germany, where he was born and partially trained.

Residents might see the 128-pound Guilty searching for drugs, sniffing the trail of a bad guy on the loose, performing canine demonstrations or just out getting some exercise.

“He’s social. He’s almost like a jokester,” Dowdy described his partner. “He’s a little bull headed, like sometimes you have to motivate him to do things if he doesn’t feel like he wants to do them. He’ll just sit down and look at you sometimes.”

Dowdy, 40, is an animal lover who always wanted to train police dogs . . .

In December, after a retail theft was reported at Kmart, Guilty “ran a track” and located the suspect, Dowdy said.

Got that? They named the dog “Guilty.” Doesn’t inspire much confidence in the dog’s independence, does it? I suspect defense attorneys in the area have already made note of the dog’s name.

read more:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2014/01/27/a-drug-dog-named-guilty/

KingNothing
01-31-2014, 01:15 PM

He's one of the best journalists in the world. He's excellent at what he does.

angelatc
01-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I use Feedly. Their stuff doesn't fully syndicate in that. What are you using?

Depends on what browser I am in. In Chrome, I use Slick RSS.

angelatc
01-31-2014, 01:34 PM
He's one of the best journalists in the world. He's excellent at what he does.

So was Hitler.

axiomata
01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
So was Hitler.

Why use this cliche in talking about Balko? Plus Hitler kinda sucked at what he did. Lost a war and committed suicide.

NewRightLibertarian
01-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Balko's one of the best from the CATO camp. He's done some excellent work over the years and WaPo is smart for bringing him on.

Anti Federalist
01-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Balko's one of the best from the CATO camp. He's done some excellent work over the years and WaPo is smart for bringing him on.

Anything to get him off that awful PuffHo.

I felt dirty just reading there.

jct74
01-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Radley Balko
about an hour ago

I need your input, Facebookers. We're going to name my Washington Post blog. I don't want to use "The Agitator." I don't want to confuse people. Plus, there will likely be more contributors to the blog in the future.

So far I have "Liberties" and "Due Process." But I'm not overwhelmed by either. So post your ideas. If we use the name that you were the first to suggest, I'll send you a signed copy of my book.

https://www.facebook.com/radley.balko/posts/10151868912122027?stream_ref=10

jct74
01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
anyone in the Phoenix area? -- seems interesting

Radley Balko
January 3

Here are the details on my debate next month in Phoenix:

A Debate About Police Militarization
The Washington Post's Radley Balko vs. Maricopa County Attorney William Montgomery
Moderated by Arizona State Supreme Court Justice Justice Robert Brutinel
When: Friday, February 21, 2014, 11:30 a.m.
Where: Kincaids Restaurant

https://www.facebook.com/radley.balko/posts/10151819969167027?stream_ref=10

jct74
01-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Rise of the Warrior Cop reviewed recently in The American Conservative:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/how-police-became-a-standing-army/

Anti Federalist
01-31-2014, 10:29 PM
https://www.facebook.com/radley.balko/posts/10151868912122027?stream_ref=10

Standing Armies

I don't FedBook, so feel free to submit in your name, or in mine.

kcchiefs6465
01-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Standing Armies

I don't FedBook, so feel free to submit in your name, or in mine.
The most fitting a name that could be imagined.

They will not use it though.

But if they did, I might actually read the WaPo.