PDA

View Full Version : City Shuts Down 11-Year-Old Selling Mistletoe to Fund Braces

CaseyJones
12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/12/02/City-Shuts-Down-11-Year-Old-Selling-Mistletoe-to-Fund-Braces

An 11-year-old Oregon girl who wanted to help her father pay for her braces by selling mistletoe over the holidays, found herself embroiled in city bureaucracy. On Saturday, Madison Root went to the downtown market to sell fresh mistletoe she cut and wrapped herself from her uncle’s farm in Oregon.

She told KATU News, “I felt like I could help my dad with the money.”

However, a private security guard hired by Portland Saturday Market blocked her path to a straighter smile by telling her to stop selling the mistletoe, citing city rules that ban conducting business or soliciting at a park without proper approval and documentation.

Specifically, Chapter 10.12 of the Portland city code states that soliciting or conducting business includes the display of ”goods, or descriptions or depictions of goods or services, with the intent to engage any member of the public in a transaction for the sale of any good or service.”

The guard reportedly told Madison she could set up shop outside the boundaries of the park…or she could simply ask for donations. Her father, Ashton, told ABC.com, “The guard told her she can beg if she wanted but she can’t sell the mistletoe.” He went on to say that his daughter “does not want to encourage begging and wants people to earn their living… She is so keen on high work ethic.”

angelatc
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I am guessing she can pass out free mistletoe while asking for donations?

I like to take the shortest path to pissing off authoritarians.

Freedonia
12-04-2013, 10:35 AM
The spirit of Capitalism must be crushed at all costs by comrade big government.

Suzanimal
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I am guessing she can pass out free mistletoe while asking for donations?

I would think so but not according to her father.

Madison’s father, Ashton Root, was with her at the market and told The Oregonian that the guard said she couldn’t even give away the mistletoe and ask for donations, but begging for money would be okay.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/11-year-old-stopped-from-selling-mistletoe--but-told-begging-allowed-220535062.html

sluggo
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Mistletoe is a dangerous poison. It's a good thing she was stopped before someone got hurt.

angelatc
12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I would think so but not according to her father.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/11-year-old-stopped-from-selling-mistletoe--but-told-begging-allowed-220535062.html

I suppose the law is written to prohibit that, but I'd like to see it before trusting the private security guard's word.

Christian Liberty
12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
"Its a free country":rolleyes:

angelatc
12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
A. Except as expressly permitted under the terms of a lease, concession or permit, no person shall solicit for or conduct any business in a Park.
B. For purposes of this Section, “solicit for or conduct any business” means:

1. Sell or offer to sell any article or service;

2. Display goods, or descriptions or depictions of goods or services, with the intent to engage any member of the public in a transaction for the sale of any good or service; or

3. Perform or engage in any act with the intent or expectation of receiving payment therefor from any person.
C. Nothing in this Section shall prohibit any act by any Park Officer in the scope of employment or duty, or by any person performing any work on behalf of the City, nor shall this Section be construed to prohibit any act protected under the circumstances by the federal or state constitution.

That's the law. I guess that the guard was referring to section B subsection 3. But that would seemingly outlaw begging, too.

BuddyRey
12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Totally off-topic, but could yuppie parents please, PLEASE stop naming their little girls Madison? It's such a heinously pretentious first-name to punish a little girl (and future woman) with. Just listen to the way it hits the ear and tell me it sounds even remotely feminine (hell, it even has the word "son" in it.)

Stella, Amanda, Marianne, Annabelle, Christine, Dominique...THOSE are girls' names.

Apologies for the rant/thread derail.

Czolgosz
12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
America sucks.

James Madison
12-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I feel safer.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Totally off-topic, but could yuppie parents please, PLEASE stop naming their little girls Madison? It's such a heinously pretentious first-name to punish a little girl (and future woman) with. Just listen to the way it hits the ear and tell me it sounds even remotely feminine (hell, it even has the word "son" in it.)

Stella, Amanda, Marianne, Annabelle, Christine, Dominique...THOSE are girls' names.

I love RPF. Lol.

DamianTV
12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the USSA where The Pursuit of Happiness is Prohibited by Law.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
SMFH. But, she's free to BEG for funds.

juleswin
12-04-2013, 05:28 PM
The spirit of Capitalism must be crushed at all costs by comrade big government.

I think other businesses would complain if they have to follow state compliance and the little angel faced girl doesn't. Remember the fella down the street selling Christmas ornaments might have a little angel faced girl too that would starve if he keeps losing business to the little girl. So do you blame him/her when he/she complains to the state to shut down her business?

Suck, but rules should apply to everybody or nobody at all.

Anti Federalist
12-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Is the Security Officer safe?

KurtBoyer25L
12-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Whatever happened to Eddie? What happened to Eddie, he was here a minute ago. Joey and Jackie and Donny and...what happened? Todddd, and his friend Dylan, and his friend Cameron, and his friend Tuckerrr.

mad cow
12-04-2013, 06:40 PM

And what ever happened to Bertha or Florence or Mabel or Agnes or Harriet or Ethel?
Those names stuck to your ribs.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Is the Security Officer safe?

Regardless, he should be given disability pension. What a traumatic experience.

jdowns
12-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Google Ashton Root, her dad. The whole thing was set up to market his multimillion internet marketing MLM.

VIDEODROME
12-04-2013, 10:15 PM
If they're going to have these rules, why can't the officer or authorities step up and figure out how to help her comply instead of shutting her down?

Then again, I wonder if even the officer knows how to fully comply. He probably only knows enough to check and see if people have the forms filed or not.

VIDEODROME
12-04-2013, 10:16 PM
If they're going to have these rules, why can't the officer or authorities step up and figure out how to help her comply instead of shutting her down?

Then again, I wonder if even the officer knows how to fully comply. He probably only knows enough to check and see if people have the forms filed or not.

Mani
12-04-2013, 11:26 PM
And what ever happened to Bertha or Florence or Mabel or Agnes or Harriet or Ethel?

I've met at least 2 if not 3, Agnes's in Hong Kong. Florence? Ya a few I've met.

But AGNES? The first time I was like...what??? Agnes??? You named yourself Agnes?? Because BTW, in Hong Kong they normally name themselves in High School, it's like a school homework assignment....OK kids...tomorrow's homework assignment...Show up to school with an English name.

And I always wondered...How did you choose AGNES???

But never had the guts to ask.

I think it's definitely the British influence. Florence, Agnes, Esther....Not so uncommon.

Regarding the mistletoe???

Well, I think it's fairly safe to say: CHINA is a more capitalist country than USA. China is more geared as a soceity and country to sell and making money and conduct commerce. USA is more bureaucratic and has more red tape and crazy laws, stifling capitalism. China has zillions of laws and bureaucracy but it's selective enforcement. They generally look the other way and allow commerce to take place.

I never thought I'd see that day when a communist country was more capitalist then USA.

BuddyRey
12-05-2013, 12:10 AM

I haven't run into a Gladys, Esther, or Louise in quite a while either.

I always thought Harriet was quite a pretty name, even now. Harriet, Hannah, Grace, Isabel, Melanie, Joanna, Scarlet, Eve, Margaret, Myra, and Laura are timeless classics, and about due for a comeback, IMO. But this Miley, Madison, McKinley, McKenzie business needs to end, like... now.

Sorry again, Casey. You can make this side-convo into a split thread if you want.

2young2vote
12-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I've met at least 2 if not 3, Agnes's in Hong Kong. Florence? Ya a few I've met.

But AGNES? The first time I was like...what??? Agnes??? You named yourself Agnes?? Because BTW, in Hong Kong they normally name themselves in High School, it's like a school homework assignment....OK kids...tomorrow's homework assignment...Show up to school with an English name.

And I always wondered...How did you choose AGNES???

But never had the guts to ask.

I think it's definitely the British influence. Florence, Agnes, Esther....Not so uncommon.

Regarding the mistletoe???

Well, I think it's fairly safe to say: CHINA is a more capitalist country than USA. China is more geared as a soceity and country to sell and making money and conduct commerce. USA is more bureaucratic and has more red tape and crazy laws, stifling capitalism. China has zillions of laws and bureaucracy but it's selective enforcement. They generally look the other way and allow commerce to take place.

I never thought I'd see that day when a communist country was more capitalist then USA.

I met a Chinese girl who referred to herself as "Green Tea."

Mani
12-05-2013, 02:46 AM
I met a Chinese girl who referred to herself as "Green Tea."

I met a cute waitress named, "Salt"
I've met a few Mango's (ya..Mango)
I'm friends with a "Yoyo" and Have met at least a couple.

I saw a girl named, "FIRST"

I know at least 2-3 girl's named, MILK. In fact my friend his secretary's last name is, "MEI" and first name "MILK" I guess she didn't think that one through.

I met a guy he said at a hotel he saw the guy pickup his luggage was named "BAGZ".

I met a really coolest bassist in a filipino band, his name was Jamaica, he's from Philippines. He sounded EXACTLY like Bob Marley.

Ya all true. Not making this up. I should have kept a diary or something, I've seen some fantastic names over a couple years. Ada is super common here. Winnie is also a nice one. Like Winni Cooper.

DamianTV
12-05-2013, 02:47 AM
I guess braces arent covered under Obamacare. Or she is ineligible. Well, so much for socialized health care, not that being on a seven year waiting list to get treated for a life threatening emergency works out so well either.

DamianTV
12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/obamadental.jpg

mad cow
12-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Ban on Girl's Mistletoe Sales Sparks Nationwide Orders

An 11-year-old who was banned from selling mistletoe (shown) in a public park in downtown Portland, Oregon, now has more orders for packages of the popular holiday plant than she can handle.

"There was never enough mistletoe for this," said Ashton Root, whose daughter Madison was ordered to stop when she began selling mistletoe at Skidmore Fountain in downtown Portland Saturday morning. The story of the aborted enterprise was aired on Portland TV station KATU Sunday evening. National networks and websites carried the news, and by Tuesday afternoon people from all over the country had contacted the KATU newsroom, wanting to buy the youthful entrepreneur's mistletoe.

"The newsroom has heard from CEOs, Army captains and people in Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Indiana, Virginia, South Carolina, Colorado, Massachusetts, California, Georgia, Pennsylvania, California, and Texas," the station reported on its website. "And those are only the people who happened to mention where they live."http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/17094-ban-on-girl-s-mistletoe-sales-sparks-nationwide-orders

A heartwarming response to the Portland Fascists.

I still wish her name was something normal like Mildred or Bernice.

Mani
12-06-2013, 02:02 AM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/17094-ban-on-girl-s-mistletoe-sales-sparks-nationwide-orders

Glad to see the follow up. Too bad lemonade stands can't get this kind of support. Those are being closed all over the country.

devil21
12-06-2013, 03:03 AM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/17094-ban-on-girl-s-mistletoe-sales-sparks-nationwide-orders

Not really any different than the racist and gay receipt ladies. Think about it.

Mani
12-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Not really any different than the racist and gay receipt ladies. Think about it.

Except instead of a supposed PATRON, it's THE MAN. The state is telling her to fuck off, not some customer.

devil21
12-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Except instead of a supposed PATRON, it's THE MAN. The state is telling her to fuck off, not some customer.

Seems getting harassed by THE MAN is the best thing that could happen to someone's business.

It's just using the media to appeal to a different, but equally outraged, group. The principle is the same. Let's see if anyone can track down this security guard and get his comments.