PDA

View Full Version : Will the GOP be libertarian or authoritarian?

Brian4Liberty
12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/02/will-gop-be-libertarian-or-authoritarian/

“It’s now Authoritarian vs. Libertarian…” — Matt Drudge’s tweet about Republicans who support NSA spying and Syrian intervention, September 3, 2013

The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin asks “Will Ted Cruz and Rand Paul Split on Iran?” in which she applauds Cruz for taking a hawkish stance, and chastises Paul for being cautious.

But another question might be — will Republicans break from conservatism over Iran?

Conservatives should remember what happened last time promoting or defending war became a primary focus. Under George W. Bush, the debt almost doubled and government grew at a rate surpassed only by Obama.

Any conservative still scratching their head over how this happened can stop scratching.

The focus for Republicans at that time was defending the Iraq War, the Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, waterboarding, “enhanced interrogation tactics,” indefinite detention and other Dick Cheney heirlooms. It wasn’t just that these things distracted conservatives from shrinking government — support for war and an anti-civil liberties agenda had supplanted small government among conservatives’ priorities. The time in between September 11, 2001 and the rise of the Tea Party, conservatism simply became something else.

Today, Tea Party Republicans have led in opposing intervention in Libya and Syria, have criticized Obama’s drone policies and spearheaded an uprising against warrantless spying on American citizens. Under a Democratic administration that often resembles Bush-Cheney on national security, the American right of 2013 has in many ways done a 180 from its 2003 self.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/02/will-gop-be-libertarian-or-authoritarian/

NIU Students for Liberty
12-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Judging by the GOP's reaction to the "peace" deal between Iran, I'd say they're still in the authoritarian camp.

jllundqu
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Authoritarian.

//

AngryCanadian
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Judging by the GOP's reaction to the "peace" deal between Iran, I'd say they're still in the authoritarian camp.

More like in the War Mongering Camp if you ask me. It seems there War Mongering attitudes hasn't left them, nor do they feel guilty for lying about the Iraqi war.

Contumacious
12-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Theocratic Authoritarian

compromise
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I think the GOP are going in a libertarian direction.

AngryCanadian
12-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I think the GOP are going in a libertarian direction.

Sure they are. With McCain and few others leading the pack as Libertarians.

Contumacious
12-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Actually the GOP is divided. McCain and the Surrender Caucus vs the Tea Partiers

compromise
12-03-2013, 04:52 PM

McCain isn't really "leading the pack". His power and influence has diminished hugely in recent months. He's now more thought of as a fringe figure by many Republicans.

Ronin Truth
12-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Peace, prosperity and freedom ain't never coming out of D.C.

Keith and stuff
12-03-2013, 05:05 PM
The majority of Republicans are more authoritarian than libertarians :( Rand Paul and others have changed some minds. The great work that's happening in IA, NH and some other states, it is changing a little fast than in the nation as a whole.

DaninPA
12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Peace, prosperity and freedom ain't never coming out of D.C.

QFT

+ rep to you sir.

Suzanimal
12-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Authoritarian

http://i.imgur.com/IXu8xlr.jpg

Dianne
12-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Like Oprah said, the old white people have to die.. We have the same problem in the Congress. We have authoritarians in the Congress, who faithfully come in wearing their depends, and refuse to vote for anything new. They remember the way it was in 1950 when they were elected and they plan to keep it that way. I remember how sad it was when Strom Thurmond was almost 100, and slept through every hearing; voted the way he would have 50 years before (or someone did for him).

The GOP has lots of losers; i.e., McConnell, McCain, Graham, King from New York ... just to name a few. Those are die hard democrats hiding behind republican clothing; but they do retain lots of clout for some odd reason. Not only are they democrats hiding in GOP clothing, they are disgusting specimens of human life; however, their lies and seniority somehow bring in followers. Until those bastards go, libertarians have no hope. Those RINO's are already beating the war drumbs against the libertarian wing.

DamianTV
12-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Choosing Labels does not make us Free. Nor does offering support only to people who wear the "correct" Labels.

ObiRandKenobi
12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
libertarian means less power for them. so authoritarian it is.

MichaelDavis
12-04-2013, 12:22 AM

McCain has been in the Senate for decades. Most of the young upstarts lean libertarian. Paul, Lee, and Cruz are the obvious examples, but even Rubio, Flake, and Scott are better than most stalwarts.