PDA

View Full Version : Iran Is Ready for a Deal

Brian4Liberty
12-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Despite the paranoia and fear-mongering, it's possible that Iran is ready for a deal...

Iran Is Ready for a Deal

“Iran’s Nuclear Triumph” roared the headline of the Wall Street Journal editorial. William Kristol is again quoting Churchill on Munich.

Since the news broke Saturday night that Iran had agreed to a six-month freeze on its nuclear program, we are back in the Sudetenland again.

Why? For not only was this modest deal agreed to by the United States, but also by our NATO allies Germany, Britain, and France.

Russia and China are fine with it.

Iran’s rivals, Turkey and Egypt, are calling it a good deal. Saudi Arabia says it “could be a first step toward a comprehensive solution for Iran’s nuclear program.”

Qatar calls it “an important step toward safeguarding peace and stability in the region.” Bahrain, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates have issued similar statements.

Israeli President Shimon Peres calls the deal satisfactory. Former Military Intelligence Chief Amos Yadlin has remarked of the hysteria in some Israeli circles, “From the reactions this morning, I might have thought Iran had gotten permission to build a bomb.”
So, let us assume another scenario, that the Iranians are not crazed fanatics but rational actors looking out for what is best for their country.

If Iran has no atom bomb program, as the Ayatollah attests, President Hassan Rouhani says he is willing to demonstrate, and 16 U.S. intelligence agencies concluded six years ago and again two years ago, consider the future that might open to Iran—if the Iranians are simply willing and able to prove this to the world’s satisfaction.

First, a steady lifting of sanctions. Second, an end to Iran’s isolation and a return to the global economy. Third, a wave of Western investment for Iran’s oil and gas industry, producing prosperity and easing political pressure on the regime.

Fourth, eventual emergence of Iran, the most populous nation in the Gulf with 85 million citizens, as the dominant power in the Gulf, just as China, after dispensing with the world Communist revolution, became dominant in Asia

Why would an Iran, with this prospect before it, risk the wrath of the world and a war with the United States to acquire a bomb whose use would assure the country’s annihilation?

America’s goals: We do not want a nuclear Iran, and we do not want war with Iran. And Iran’s actions seem to indicate that building an atom bomb is not the animating goal of the Ayatollah, as some Americans insist.

Though she has the ability to build a bomb, Iran has neither conducted a nuclear test, nor produced bomb-grade uranium. She has kept her supply of 20-percent uranium below what is needed to be further enriched for even a single bomb test. Now, she has agreed to dilute half of that and produce no more.

If Iran were hell-bent on a bomb, why has she not produced a bomb?

Just possibly, because Iran doesn’t want the bomb. And if that is so, why not a deal to end these decades of sterile hostility?

more:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/iran-is-ready-for-a-deal/

Zippyjuan
12-02-2013, 08:09 PM
They have been ready- we haven't been willing to listen. They made proposals when Bush was president and he refused to talk to them.

Ender
12-02-2013, 08:11 PM
They have been ready- we haven't been willing to listen. They made proposals when Bush was president and he refused to talk to them.

Yep.

ClydeCoulter
12-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Well I'll be. I agree with you :) :D

ClydeCoulter
12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Third, a wave of Western investment for Iran’s oil and gas industry, producing prosperity and easing political pressure on the regime.

That right there is one big (or)deal that I hope Iran can keep a good grip on.

I guess that will help the "petro dollar", eh?

Zippyjuan
12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
That right there is one big (or)deal that I hope Iran can keep a good grip on.

I guess that will help the "petro dollar", eh?

Iran was getting most of their government revenues from oil exports and domestic consumption was getting close to their production capacity so they were seeking nuclear energy as a domestic alternative to oil- freeing more up for exports. Mexico is in a similar situation. They may be willing to deal on the weapons side, but won't give up nuclear power.