PDA

View Full Version : CA conservative leads effort to increase min. wage to $12 an hour

Keith and stuff
12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Conservative Leads Effort to Raise Minimum Wage in California
By JENNIFER MEDINA
Published: November 25, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/us/conservative-leads-effort-to-raise-minimum-wage-in-california.html

Not happy with the CA min. wage only going to $10 in 2016 as CA law calls for, famous CA conservative Ron Unz, want to increase it to $12.

But after decades in the conservative movement, Mr. Unz is pursuing a goal that has stymied liberals: raising the minimum wage. He plans to pour his own money into a ballot measure to increase the minimum wage in California to $10 an hour in 2015 and $12 in 2016, which would make it by far the highest in the nation. Currently, it is $8 — 75 cents higher than the federal minimum.

Earlier this year, Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, signed legislation to increase the minimum wage to $10 an hour in 2016. The California Chamber of Commerce labeled the bill a “job killer” and said that such a large increase would raise the unemployment rate and put the state’s precarious economic recovery at risk. A spokeswoman for the group declined to comment on Mr. Unz’s proposal on Monday.

Mr. Unz brushes aside such criticism, saying the size of California’s economy — which, at roughly $1.9 trillion, is bigger than most countries’ — would prevent any large-scale movement of jobs to other states. Instead, he argues, it presents the best test case for the kind of national minimum wage increase he has advocated for years.

Here are the really ironic parts.

He went on to become publisher of The American Conservative, a libertarian-leaning magazine.

Mr. Unz entered politics in 1994 as a challenger to Gov. Pete Wilson for the Republican nomination, at one point accusing Mr. Wilson of being a closet Democrat.

While unions have backed similar voter initiatives in San Jose and Long Beach, Calif., labor officials are now focused on permanently tying the minimum wage to the rate of inflation, and said the measure Mr. Unz is proposing could be a distraction. Steve Smith, a spokesman for the California Labor Federation, was hardly enthusiastic when informed of Mr. Unz’s plans.

tsai3904
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Here are the really ironic parts.

From another interview:

Who did you vote for in the last election?

To be honest, I didn't like either candidate, Obama or Romney. I think I may have written in Ron Paul's name.

He also contributed $2,500 to Ron's campaign.

Keith and stuff
12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
From another interview:

He also contributed $2,500 to Ron's campaign.
So a Ron Paul support is doing more than anyone else in California to try to ruin California state? That's pretty wild!

VBRonPaulFan
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
So a Ron Paul support is doing more than anyone else in California to try to ruin California state? That's pretty wild!

He may be on to something.... lol. Burn it to the ground and start anew.

Keith and stuff
12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
He may be on to something.... lol. Burn it to the ground and start anew.

If that happened, the welfare folks (many of whom vote) would have to move to OR, WA, ID, MT, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, TX... That would be really bad news.

Of course, I'm not saying increasing the min. wage will destroy the CA economy, but it is the biggest organized, published threat to the CA economy that I'm currently aware of.

limequat
12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm with him, but he's too conservative.
Make it $50/hour. And then :popcorn: WTF, I don't live in CA.

aGameOfThrones
12-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I vote yes... I smell burning...

Ronin Truth
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Geeze, the mind boggles at how much he might want to increase it if he were a liberal.

Philhelm
12-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Greedy, corporatist bastard. It should be $100/hour.

Anti Federalist
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Filthy Robber Baron.

$1000

Philhelm
12-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Filthy Robber Baron.

$1000

Tyrant! Eliminate income and let the government feed, clothe, and house us in exchange for labor.

DamianTV
12-02-2013, 09:06 PM
The Minimum Im willing to work for in my trade and profession seems to be exactly what everyone else calls for to be Minimum Wage. Am I just undercutting my value? Not that it matters, still dont have a job, even a current minimum wage part time job like so many others barely getting by...

PierzStyx
12-03-2013, 05:35 AM
If that happened, the welfare folks (many of whom vote) would have to move to OR, WA, ID, MT, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, TX... That would be really bad news.

Of course, I'm not saying increasing the min. wage will destroy the CA economy, but it is the biggest organized, published threat to the CA economy that I'm currently aware of.

California will destroy California's economy. Its already doing a fantastic job of it.

tod evans
12-03-2013, 05:54 AM

Filthy Robber Baron.

$1000

Now we're talkin'!

Platinum Amex cards for all Micky-D's employees!

Open lease agreements at the local Cadillac dealership for motel maids!

Bring some sanity to this insane world...:rolleyes: