PDA

View Full Version : America Is 'Less Safe' Than 2 Years Ago

Danke
12-02-2013, 10:42 AM
America Is 'Less Safe' Than 2 Years Ago, Intelligence Committee Chairs Say

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/01/dianne-feinstein-america-less-safe_n_4367906.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

The lawmakers who lead the House and Senate intelligence committees both said on Sunday that they believe the United States is less safe from a terror attack than it was two years ago.

Interviewed on CNN's "State of the Union," Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said she believed that there are now more terrorists with the technological means to carry out a bombing in the U.S.

"I think terror is up worldwide," said Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee. "There are new bombs, very big bombs, trucks being reinforced for those bombs. There are bombs that go through magnetometers. The bomb-maker is still alive. There are more groups than ever. And there is huge malevolence out there."

Feinstein added that there was "a real displaced aggression in this very fundamentalist jihadist Islamic community, and that is that the West is responsible for everything that goes wrong and that the only thing that's going to solve this is Islamic Sharia law."

Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chair of the House Intelligence Committee, said he agreed with Feinstein's assessment.

"I absolutely agree that we're not [safer] today, for the very same reasons," he said. "The pressure on our intelligence service to get it right to prevent an attack is enormous."

Asked about the recent revelations of the National Security Agency's spying programs, Rogers said he worried that the disclosures were distracting the agency from its work.

"Our fear is, every time we do that we take them away from their focus, which is what is al Qaeda's next event," Rogers said.

Dianne Feinstein: The NSA's Watchfulness Protects America - WSJ ...

Intelligence committee heads: Terror threat rising

1,692 people are discussing this article with 3,005 comments
250 Words Preview Submit
Community Pundits
1 / 6

Steamboater

Political Pundit · 5,094 Fans · Forget hope. Agitate.

Instead of attempting to refute the post, this post must have gotten flagged by some apologist for war etc so it needs reposting.

Sure we're more unsafe now Feinstein and because you and yours along with the republicans approve of this government keeping its eyes and ears on the American people 24/7 and as the usual suspects, making a mockery of our law. In fact, you made laws to break our laws, prime among them The Patriot Act. How safe can this country be too when we're at perpetual war of our own accord from the day Bush sent an American solder to intervene in an Afghan civil war occupying that country and propping up a thief to head the government there, to Obama who has now condemned U.S. to another 11 years or more of an occupation with 10,000 plus troops left in that miserable hellhole. The longer we stay too, the more enemies we make. All of you D.C. politicians, of both parties, who have voted continuously and will continue to vote to fund this war feed the beast that keeps us unsafe. Sure, there's enemies abroad and here at home who want to do U.S. in but you Feinstein, you Bush and Cheney and Obama and Biden and Hillary Clinton and the rest of you war mongers, including those among the electorate who are your apologists and look the other way, really give our enemies a helping hand.
1 Dec 6:10 PM

[Steamboater]

22 people in the conversation

Fave
Read Conversation →

Yank_in_France

Political Pundit · 2,820 Fans · Egalité Fraternité Fiscalité ! - Les Inconnus

It is very hard to measure the safety of security of America when it comes to so many disparate dangers. So I cannot judge the merits of Senator Feinstein's comments of the actual danger level.

But I wonder about her motives in raising the terrorism alarm at this precise moment --> just after the president signed a 6-month interim agreement with Iran and the coaliation of Western powers plus Russia to restrict Iran's nuclear program and set the stage for a much more definitive agreement before the end of that 6-month deadline.

After months of public announcements and rallying of its supporters in Congress, AIPAC has launched its own massive bombardment of the airwaves to convince Americans that ANY agreement with Iran was doomed to failure!

AIPAC's publicly stated goal is to add more sanctions to undermine the president's freshly signed agreement with Iran to slightly reduce sanctions in exchange for significant controls of their nuclear program!!

This is just one more case of Israel's most adamanet and war-friendly supporters trying to torpedo a peace initiative with one of Israel's neighbors. They know full well that more sanctions will only be used by radical Islamists in Iran to undermine moderates in that country.

Just as Netanyahu gladly sought to undermine Israeli PM's peace initiatives with the Palestinians in parallel with Hamas's terrorist attacks to accomplish the very same goal!

In short, I do not trust Senator Feinstein. She may have a liberal record on many issues, but she has been staunchly pro-war when it comes to anything even remotely related to Israel.
2 Dec 2:23 AM

[Yank_in_France]

5 people in the conversation

Fave
Read Conversation →

Yank_in_France

Political Pundit · 2,820 Fans · Egalité Fraternité Fiscalité ! - Les Inconnus

“I have never been in favor of allowing any provisions of the Patriot Act to expire.” Diane Feinstein.

People, please do not be fooled by the Democratic tag associated with Senator Feinstein's name. Feinstein is one of the Democrats who derailed any efforts to curtail Bush's War in Iraq in 2003 or even his later years when a "Democratic" Congress proved totally incapable of challenging the corrupt, insipidly authoritarian policies of her mentor, Geoarge W Bush.

Senator Feinstein has sacrified every American principle of freedom and justice for all to fit her Israel-centric vision of the world. I am sorry if that offends our pro-Israel friends but I am not trying to stigmatize anyone for their convictions (whether I agree with them or not).

All I am saying is look at what Senator Feinstein has actually done.

* Voted in FAVOR of funding the Iraq War without conditions;

* Voted in FAVOR of the Bush White House’s FISA bill to drastically expand warrantless eavesdropping powers;

* Voted in FAVOR of condemning MoveOn.org;

* Cast the deciding vote in August on the Senate Judiciary Committee in FAVOR of the nomination of far right Bush nominee Leslie Southwick to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

In 2006, Feinstein not only voted in favor of extending the Patriot Act without any of the critical safeguards sought by Sen. Feingold, among others, but she was one of the most outspoken Democratic proponents arguing for its extension (“I have never been in favor of allowing any provisions of the Patriot Act to expire.”). Also in 2006, she not onlyvoted in favor of amending the Constitution to outlaw flag burning, but was, as sheproudly described herself, “the main Democratic sponsor of this amendment.”

Really, even some conservatives should be shocked at this person's unwavering boosting of the most extremist rightwing causes. Click her for more information.

It is people like Senator Feinstein who have sunk the United States deeper and deeper into an endless pit of war. It is for that reason and many, many more that I suspect her motives for highlighting the so-called greater risk to terrorist attack just as she and other supporters of Israel prepare to torpedo Obama's interim 6-month agreement with Iran to bring their nuclear program under strict control of international inspections!
2 Dec 7:14 AM

[Yank_in_France]

4 people in the conversation

Fave
Read Conversation →

omobob

Political Pundit · 4,007 Fans · left coast, usa

A former top terrorism official at the CIA has warned that President Barack Obama's controversial drone programme is far too indiscriminate in hitting targets and could lead to such political instability that it creates terrorist safe havens. "We have gone a long way down the road of creating a situation where we are creating more enemies than we are removing from the battlefield. We are already there with regards to Pakistan and Afghanistan," said Robert Grenier, who headed the CIA's counter-terrorism center from 2004 to 2006.

A centerpiece of President Obama's national security strategy, CIA drones strikes in Pakistan are credited by the administration with crippling Al Qaeda but criticized by human rights groups and others for being conducted in secret and killing civilians. The administration has rejected in the strongest terms outside claims of a high civilian toll from the drone attacks.

However outside estimates also vary widely. A count by Bill Roggio, editor of the website the Long War Journal, which bases its estimates on news reports, puts the number of civilian killed in Pakistan at 138. The New America Foundation estimates that, based on press reports, between 293 and 471 civilians have been killed in the attacks. The London-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism, which draws on a wider array of sources including researchers and lawyers in Pakistan, puts the number of civilians killed at between 482 and 832. The authors of the various estimates all emphasize that their counts are imperfect.

A "senior administration official" said the number of civilians killed in drone strikes in Pakistan under President Obama is in the "single digits." But last year "U.S. officials" said drones in Pakistan killed about 30 civilians in just a yearlong stretch under Obama.

Both claims can't be true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/06/drone-attacks-terrorist-safe-havens_n_1572788.html”

1 Dec 12:19 PM

[omobob]

31 people in the conversation

Fave
Read Conversation →

Steamboater

Political Pundit · 5,094 Fans · Forget hope. Agitate.

Everything falls down before national security. We're asked to sacrifice a few liberties in exchange for what these politicians perceive as better security but then our rights just become no better than privileges. Any time these politicians start playing the fear card and so publicly, watch out and watch your back too as the rights you have slowly get chipped away at more and more. The NSA was able to spy on the Associated Press and without warnings of any kind and without a warrant because a law was put into place not requiring warrants and approval from a judge if E-mails were more than 180 days old. Anything prior to 180 days required a court approved warrant. Time was on the side of the NSA though and they knew it because E-mails stay out there in that cloud forever. All they had to do was wait to hit that big 181 and they had the AP where it wanted them.

If we're to come undone, it won't be by some foreigners in a cave somewhere in Central Asia or atop a desert sand dune but by us and a fear of living in a free and open society.
1 Dec 10:41 AM

[Steamboater]

25 people in the conversation

Fave
Read Conversation →

VirginiaJeff

Political Pundit · 4,218 Fans · I voted for him, I'm holding him accountable.

Asked about the recent revelations of the National Security Agency's spying programs, Rogers said he worried that the disclosures were distracting the agency from its work. "Our fear is, every time we do that we take them away from their focus, which is what is al Qaeda's next event," Rogers said.

What a shame that our Fourth Amendment concerns are so distracting to our congressional representatives.
2 Dec 2:14 AM

Fave
Read Conversation →

HighlightedMost RecentOldestMost Faved
Load 17 new comments
JOHN_FROM_USA

233 Fans
Using drones to kill people remotely, using the NSA to mass surveillance of people, using the DOJ to investigate reporters, using the IRS to attack your political enemies. We need to be more fearful of our own government than we do of people who attack the United States. One on one good wins, but when good becomes the evil .. well they should be afraid.
20 minutes ago

Fave
More

Ashlyye

101 Fans
Yea, this tends to happen when liberals run the show. Feinstein is less safe as well with her outlandish beliefs. We are definitely less safe when our military is less strong and being used as the pawns. Feinstein and people like her also make us less safe. A primary reason I will continue to keep my guns. People like her. Keep dismantling our military and those that want to give up their rights for security--deserve neither.
32 minutes ago

Fave
More

Davidrfunk2

482 Fans · We has seen the enemy and he is us
Correction we're less safe = Defense Contractors need more profits
16 minutes ago

Fave
More

VA_Jill

1,042 Fans · I'm not perfect and neither are you
They're always going to say that. It's how they justify keeping their jobs.
34 minutes ago

Fave
More

ornery

1,515 Fans · H.L. Mencken was too kind.
With Drowsy Diane running one of the intelligence committees that's surely true.
45 minutes ago

Fave
More

ADrivebyPoster

0 Fans
Does anyone believe anything Dianne Feinstein says? Or any other politician for that matter?
49 minutes ago

Fave
More

AirForce_Vet

737 Fans
The worse threats to us are the results of those who are insistent upon conflict rather than resolution by peaceful means.
52 minutes ago

Fave
More

Fred_Hodge

1 Fan
Let's see. Two years ago America was attempting to protect itself from another 9-11 type terror incident. Today, America is still attempting to protect itself from another 9-11 type terror incident. Seems about the same to me.
2 Dec 9:30 AM

Fave
More

kanook67

7,267 Fans · The future is not what it used to be.
It's getting to the point where one can't even go down the towel isle in Walmart without getting mugged any more!
2 Dec 9:26 AM

Fave
More

ghelm92160

Super User · 131 Fans
That fits in perfectly as showing Feinstein whose husband is a major defense contractor says it all . The family is worth millions already so let's scare the country into more military defense spending, right Diane?
2 Dec 9:19 AM

Fave
More

Peter_Hatgelakas

0 Fans
I think that we do not have very smart people running our intelligence agencies. What a misnomer! They should be focusing in on the enemy not the citizen. They should profile. Which leads me to the next suggestion, determine what group of people wish to harm the U.S.. Who is the enemy? To find that out and admit it, they have to be willing to say they are "Muslim terrorists." Then they have to say which countries those terrorists are from. Hint: Muslim countries. Armed with this great insight where should they focus their attention? So if they are busy listening in on my personal business and neighborhood gossip, then they don't have their attentions focused in the correct direction. I do not care how politically incorrect it is, the NSA, FBI, CIA, NBC, CBS.... listening in on my gossip is not going to stop a terrorist attack.
2 Dec 9:18 AM

Fave
More

wfisher

33 Fans
I agree with your comments on focus. I think the NSA has so lost their focus that they consider the collection of data to be their goal. Not the intelligence they can get from data. So the more data they collect the more successful they think they are.

I understand the comments on being politically correct but that is a slippery slope. There are many more Muslims who are not terrorists than are, millions and millions more.

As for the heads of the Committees in Congress, who can trust them???

Origanalist
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Be afeared, they are creating enemies daily.

donnay
12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, we are less safe cause more government tyranny is upon us! :mad: