PDA

View Full Version : PA DOUBLES transportation taxes/fees, a 2.4 billion a year increase

Keith and stuff
12-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Pennsylvania passed a whole bunch of tax and fee increases, all aimed at doubling it's transportation budget with 2 of the fees now indexed for inflation. Don't get me wrong, a bunch of states index fees or even gas tax for inflation. And a bunch of states increased gas taxes this year, with WY leading the way with a 10cent increase, but the is the largest increase in overall transportation taxes/fees on any state, even larger than VA!

User surcharges:
The transportation plan adds increased surcharges for moving violations and increased costs for drivers license and registration renewals. And it permits the increase of speed limits on certain roadways from 65 to 70 mph. (The 1 positive.) Increased fees include:

• Vehicle registrations for passenger cars won’t change until 2015, when the rate will rise from $36 to $37. They’ll inch up another $1 in 2017-18, with increases every two years afterward for inflation.

• Fees for driver’s licenses also won’t be felt until 2015, when they’ll rise from $21 to $22 and then by another $1 in 2017-18, with increases every subsequent two years for inflation.

• The surcharges on some moving traffic violations would jump by as much as 50 percent. (Some tickets will double!)

• Vanity license plates will rise from its current $20 to $76 in April.

Fuel tax to rise:
While the flat 12-cent gas tax will be eliminated, the wholesale, Oil Company Franchise Tax will be uncapped. This is expected to increase the price of gas as oil companies will likely pass along the increased tax to the consumers.

Though the formula for this tax is complicated, it’s likely to result in a net increase in the state gasoline tax of 9.5 cents per gallon next year and then another 9.7 cents in 2015 and another 8 cents in 2017. (That's an increase of 27.2 cents per gallon for gas/diesel. It will increase the costs of goods for everyone in the Northeast and Midwest.)

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not against tiny increases in fuel taxes or even traffic tickets. I'm so very annoyed for 2 reasons.

1. There is no way a state needs to increase it's traffic tickets or it's transportation spending by 50% in 1-2 years. That's crazy quick!
2. 3/4 of the states with the biggest transportation bill increases are states with Republican governor's and more Republicans than Democrats in their legislatures. These bills were passed because Republican governors and Republican legislative leaders pushed hard for them :(

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news/1010112/Pa.-drivers-will-soon-feel-the-pinch-and-the-pleasure

FSP-Rebel
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Free State Project (www.freestateproject.org):cool:

Czolgosz
12-01-2013, 12:54 PM
ha ha.

Keith and stuff
12-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Free State Project (www.freestateproject.org):cool:
That's what I'd recommend. I don't think the Republican governor of Pennsylvania knows about it, though. He sure does know about New Jersey having the lowest gas prices in the Northeast, though. The Republican House leaders the pushed so hard for this are also well aware of New Jersey. It's my belief that they passed this in part, to encourage people to buy gas in New Jersey. Maryland would be able to benefit from this, but Maryland passed gas tax and toll increases this year.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-01-2013, 01:18 PM
More bad news for Tom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoCcQ-Oldk

youngbuck
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
More bad news for Tom.

Wow.

Quark
12-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I'll be moving to New Hampshire for graduate school. I like Pittsburgh, it's a pretty cool city with cool people, but Pennsylvania is only going one direction - toward more tyranny.

Keith and stuff
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I'll be moving to New Hampshire for graduate school. I like Pittsburgh, it's a pretty cool city with cool people, but Pennsylvania is only going one direction - toward more tyranny.
Cool! There have been a bunch of movers from PA. They have done a lot of cool things like state a farm, state a yearly farm festival where they teach people how to homestead, get elected, start a podcast, help run the FSP and so on. Lot's of schools in NH and remember that MA is the college center of the US.

Keith and stuff
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyway, I'm not picking on PA Republicans because they are completely destroying the GOP brand in PA, I'm picking on them because of the insane sticker shock. If the PAGOP wants to disappear, that's up to the Republicans of PA. Though, I don't think the approach for 17 states, states that hold the majority of the US population, of in 1 way or another, locking gas taxes to inflation is a good idea, either.

In fact, a total of seventeen states now automatically adjust their gas tax rates each year to keep pace with some measure of inflation. Altogether, a majority of the country's population actually lives in a state with this...
usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/10/11/lack-of-a-gas-tax-hike-is-hurting-the-economy

VoluntaryAmerican
12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
More bad news for Tom.

Thought you meant the governor Tom, at first. :D

Lindsey
12-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Just another reason to move. We have picked a place and are now working on planning the move. We're moving a business and will be losing the income from my FT job ; aside from moving costs, we want to have enough in the still to make it through re-establishing ourselves. Aiming for 2017, and like all of my family members who have already left the Northeast, I will be happy to say goodbye.