PDA

View Full Version : Students arrested while waiting at a bus stop.

phill4paul
11-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Students Protest Arrests While Waiting for Bus

Rochester police arrested three Edison Tech basketball players Wednesday morning on disorderly conduct charges. They were waiting for a school bus downtown to take them to a scrimmage against Aquinas. The teens and say they did nothing wrong.

In a statement, the Rochester Police Department says the young men were asked to move several times but didn't. This is an area downtown where businesses have complained of loitering and fights. The teens are home tonight after posting $200.00 bail. Their mothers want the charges dropped.

Raliek Redd, 16, a sophomore at Edison Tech and two of his teammates say they were waiting for a school bus this morning on a corner downtown. There were 16 players waiting on the corner for the bus scheduled by their coach. That's when a Rochester police officer told them they were loitering.

"The cop just came over there. He told us to move. Then we was walking away and he turned, we turned around and he arrested all of us," said Raliek Redd, Rochester.

Redd, Deaquon Carelock, 16, and senior Wan'tauhjs Weathers, 17 are charged with disorderly conduct. They were arrested and booked.

"I feel it's unfair. Like, we weren't doing nothing. We're just regular kids trying to get to our game. Like we not doing nothing wrong, we're not harrassing nobody. We're not causing no trouble, no nothing," said Wan'tauhjs.

Raliek's mother, Crystal Chapman, says their coach watched it all. When he tried to intervene, the coach says he was threatened with arrest. Coach Jabob Scott verifies the players' account. Chapman will fight the charges until they're dismissed.

"I'm really upset and I don't plan to let it go. At all. Because, these boys wasn't doing anything," said Crystal Chapman.

Wan'tauhjs's mom is angry too.

"I think he seen a group of young black men and kind of stereotyped them for loitering, looking for trouble. He didn't take the time to speak to nobody of authority to see if they were actually telling the truth or if that what was going on," said Tynicia Weathers.

Rochester School Superintendent Bolgen Vargas reached out to the parents. He says he's looking into the matter.

The Rochester Police Department says the boys were told to move because they were blocking an entrance to the business and traffic on the sidewalk.

Their coach tells me they're good kids. A judge will decide what happens. All three are due in court Friday.

specsaregood
11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
This article is filled with booby traps meant to make grammar nazis’ heads explode. The cop should have sent them to english class, not jail time.

eduardo89
11-30-2013, 09:38 AM
What the hell kind of name is Wan'tauhjs? How do you even pronounce that?

JK/SEA
11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

your name is no picnic either.

ed...you...are...dough....ate ....eee...nine...

meh...

whatev..

Origanalist
11-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Bad grammar and unpronounceable names aren't crimes. Waiting for the bus apparently is.

FindLiberty
11-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Bad grammar and unpronounceable names aren't crimes. Waiting for the bus apparently is.

Crime was WFBWB (Waiting For Bus While Black)

Origanalist
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Crime was WFBWB (Waiting For Bus While Black)

You know I thought about that and it's probably true, but I'm pretty sure they would do it to a bunch of white kids too.

green73
11-30-2013, 10:42 AM
This article is filled with booby traps meant to make grammar nazis’ heads explode. The cop should have sent them to english class, not jail time.

That's got to be some sort of record for double negatives.

We're just regular kids

Sadly, he's probably right.

PaulConventionWV
11-30-2013, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLI2-kYMUEE

tod evans
11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
That'll learn 'em, durn 'em....

:mad:

FindLiberty
11-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Cyanide & Happiness - Waiting for the Bus

lol, I must have a dark heart 'cause really did laugh out loud at that final bus stop scene.

amy31416
11-30-2013, 11:42 AM

I watched some restaurant show the other day where the waitress' name was Nayjuh (pronounced nausea) and one of the cook's names was Jizz.

Won't be going to that dining establishment.

FrankRep
11-30-2013, 12:01 PM
The police report says the students were obstructing "pedestrian traffic while standing on a public sidewalk...preventing free passage of citizens walking by and attempting to enter and exit a store...Your complainant gave several lawful clear and concise orders for the group to disperse and leave the area without complaince."

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/story/coach-defends-students-arrested-at-bus-stop/d/story/Yc6H5TSM7USEttdWpshzIQ

speciallyblend
11-30-2013, 01:07 PM

I would love a youtube of grammar nazi's heads explodin. Entertaining! makes my day when grammar nazzzis gettin pissed.

speciallyblend
11-30-2013, 01:08 PM
The police report says the students were obstructing "pedestrian traffic while standing on a public sidewalk...preventing free passage of citizens walking by and attempting to enter and exit a store...Your complainant gave several lawful clear and concise orders for the group to disperse and leave the area without complaince."

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/story/coach-defends-students-arrested-at-bus-stop/d/story/Yc6H5TSM7USEttdWpshzIQ

musy be true lying police wrote it.

heavenlyboy34
11-30-2013, 01:17 PM
your name is no picnic either.

ed...you...are...dough....ate ....eee...nine...

meh...

whatev..
Spend some time with Mexicans and it becomes pretty easy to pronounce their silly names. ;) Or just take spanish 101. :)

eduardo89
11-30-2013, 01:35 PM
I watched some restaurant show the other day where the waitress' name was Nayjuh (pronounced nausea) and one of the cook's names was Jizz.

Does Jizz have a special sauce?

Snew
11-30-2013, 02:26 PM
The cop should have sent them to english class, not jail time.

Is bad grammar against the law? Who cares how they talk. The actions of the police are what we should care about.

Ender
11-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Exactly.

There is no crime here.

Although, in Provo, Utah, it is a crime to "stand" on the sidewalk.:rolleyes:

acptulsa
11-30-2013, 02:27 PM
No wonder the progs can't get anyone to ride mass transit. Their own trained attack dogs are traumatizing future bus non-riders during their impressionable years

specsaregood
11-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Is bad grammar against the law? Who cares how they talk. The actions of the police are what we should care about.

Thanks for chiming in thought police; but I'll talk about whatever I want to talk about. I care about the fact that they were being bussed to a school basketball scrimmage using tax dollars when it appears they should be getting extra hours in English class instead.

Ender
11-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for chiming in thought police; but I'll talk about whatever I want to talk about. I care about the fact that they were being bussed to a school basketball scrimmage using tax dollars when it appears they should be getting extra hours in English class instead.

Well boo hoo. Then let's make sure that anything YOU do that is payed for by "tax dollars" is eliminated.

These kids are prisoners in The Machine and were wrongly treated- yet you want to take away ONE part of what might be fun for them because they are not indoctrinated enough in proper English to your satisfaction?

specsaregood
11-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Well boo hoo. Then let's make sure that anything YOU do that is payed for by "tax dollars" is eliminated.
Sure, good luck with finding something to shutdown that will bother me.

These kids are prisoners in The Machine and were wrongly treated- yet you want to take away ONE part of what might be fun for them because they are not indoctrinated enough in proper English to your satisfaction?
B.S. victim shit. I didn't say they can't go play basketball on their own dime at one of the many public parks or even their own hoop. But this is a school activity; in order to take part in a school activity then you should at least be able to demonstrate some basic skills. Yes, they should not have school trips to scrimmage with other schools unless they are fully indoctrinated in English.

What the cop did was most likely shitty; but I'm not surprised by that: pigs will be pigs. Although, one might argue that if you act ignorant in public you should expect to be treated as such. I'm more concerned with the obvious failure of their school system.

Ender
11-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Sure, good luck with finding something to shutdown that will bother me.

B.S. victim shit. I didn't say they can't go play basketball on their own dime at one of the many public parks or even their own hoop. But this is a school activity; in order to take part in a school activity then you should at least be able to demonstrate some basic skills. Yes, they should not have school trips to scrimmage with other schools unless they are fully indoctrinated in English.

What the cop did was most likely shitty; but I'm not surprised by that: pigs will be pigs. Although, one might argue that if you act ignorant in public you should expect to be treated as such. I'm more concerned with the obvious failure of their school system.

I am part of a private school that is based on the freedom of the student. When a student is allowed to pursue what they love they become educated in many different areas, rather than forced regurgitation and mediocrity in all things.

luctor-et-emergo
11-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Did they serve BARF ?
http://www.thedogbowl.com/store/images/BarfOffal300w.jpg

kcchiefs6465
11-30-2013, 08:35 PM
You know I thought about that and it's probably true, but I'm pretty sure they would do it to a bunch of white kids too.
They do. I never made the paper though.

In fact, I've written about it here many times.

It's funny because people never believed it. I was being harassed almost daily. Then we'd be walking along minding our own business and a car unmarked would come to a screeching halt, the door still open, with some steroidal pig trying to fight. I'm laughing now thinking how many people probably still tell the stories. It was absurd. Afterwards people would tell me they never seen anything like it in their lives. Then about a week later a repeat.

I was dumb and poor then. Some of these pictures (http://imgur.com/iJ4cxj2) and stories (like this one) are me. I should have cleaned them out. Instead I was stuck washing goddamn cop cars and cleaning out the holding cell (that I was routinely chained to concrete benches in), for a couple weeks. One cop, that was later fired, bought me Taco Bell. She was the "good cop." :rolleyes: The ones who falsely detained, threatened, assaulted, robbed and violated my rights were all promoted. Couple of bad apples. Sigh.

amy31416
11-30-2013, 09:37 PM
I am part of a private school that is based on the freedom of the student. When a student is allowed to pursue what they love they become educated in many different areas, rather than forced regurgitation and mediocrity in all things.

Would you be proud to be the teacher of student(s) who could barely speak English intelligibly but could shoot hoops all day long? If they speak like that, how must they write?

Looking the other way and having no standards sets those kids up for failure in many different areas. You can't be educated if you can't communicate. I taught for a while at a private school too, and there's no way they'd survive in any of the courses I taught.

kcchiefs6465
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Would you be proud to be the teacher of student(s) who could barely speak English intelligibly but could shoot hoops all day long? If they speak like that, how must they write?

Looking the other way and having no standards sets those kids up for failure in many different areas. You can't be educated if you can't communicate. I taught for a while at a private school too, and there's no way they'd survive in any of the courses I taught.
You could teach their strengths. The 'standards' are what is killing "education." I speak from experience, as someone you would probably write off if your heard my "accent" or disregarded what I said based solely on some Jeffersonian standard of grammar. The same from the "other side" with regards to if I spoke proper, corrected those who were not "educated" and painted the picture of myself as being better.

The people harped up upon grammar lack proper, themselves. It's a petty way many use to feel better about themselves.. in most cases. While these kids may just be proficient at basketball at the moment (and who even knows if that is all), who knows what they will excel at? I know people who can hardly speak a lick of proper English. But they'll diagnose the problem on a car faster than diagnostics. I mean, everyone has their own strengths. Judging a fish on how well it flies is absurd, as I'm sure you know.

That's even an aside from the point that with proper English skills his words would have been seen as combative (to the officer, who's making 50 a year, go figure). With proper education he would have challenged the stop (and lord knows how that turns out for most). People don't understand. I get what you are saying about being educated and its importance in the day to day, but realistically speaking, not getting beaten, or killed, trumps all.

acptulsa
11-30-2013, 10:10 PM
I get what you are saying about being educated and its importance in the day to day, but realistically speaking, not getting beaten, or killed, trumps all.

It's all well and good to laugh or sneer at the linguistic practices of certain demographics--if we're not of that group and aware of what they're up against. It has been within the lifetimes of some of us that people of color have been hanged by the neck until dead for the 'crime' of being 'uppity' in states like Alabama...

'My grammer? The first thing I learned in politics was when to say "ain't"'--Will Rogers as Judge Priest

amy31416
11-30-2013, 10:17 PM
You could teach their strengths. The 'standards' are what is killing "education." I speak from experience, as someone you would probably write off if your heard my "accent" or disregarded what I said based solely on some Jeffersonian standard of grammar. The same from the "other side" with regards to if I spoke proper, corrected those who were not "educated" and painted the picture of myself as being better.

The people harped up upon grammar lack proper, themselves. It's a petty way many use to feel better about themselves.. in most cases. While these kids may just be proficient at basketball at the moment (and who even knows if that is all), who knows what they will excel at? I know people who can hardly speak a lick of proper English. But they'll diagnose the problem on a car faster than diagnostics. I mean, everyone has their own strengths. Judging a fish on how well it flies is absurd, as I'm sure you know.

That's even an aside from the point that with proper English skills his words would have been seen as combative (to the officer, who's making 50 a year, go figure). With proper education he would have challenged the stop (and lord knows how that turns out for most). People don't understand. I get what you are saying about being educated and its importance in the day to day, but realistically speaking, not getting beaten, or killed, trumps all.

I'm hardly harped up on grammar, but who says one of those kids couldn't do something that he'd be amazing at if only he knew how to speak and write? Not everyone's cut out to be an auto mechanic. My best HVAC/Lyophilizer mechanic was dyslexic--he was amazing at what he did, he was cut out for it and I had more respect for him than I did the management, but he was always ashamed that he could barely read.

oyarde
11-30-2013, 10:17 PM

I dunno , but Wan Tau Long is yellow jelly ( I have seen it , but never tried it ), lol

oyarde
11-30-2013, 10:22 PM
I have not had any really good Wonton soup in a long time ....

Ender
11-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Yes, if they were good shooters, I would be proud of them. My experience is that when students are given freedom, they begin to love subjects they thought they hated.

Had one kid who hated math; in our beginning of the school year, we taught them that everything was art and everything was math. HE BEGAN TO LOVE MATH AND IS NOW STUDYING TO BE AN ASTRO-ENGINEER.

Another student was a good writer but a terrible speller. In the creative writing class, I never corrected her spelling because I knew she would stop writing. As the year progressed, she came to me and said: "I'm a terrible speller- can I get into the spelling class?" Later she entered the Academy of Motion Pictures screenplay contest and came in the top 5%. There was no age limit and she was 16.

Because she was doing what she loved, she drove herself to be better- she wasn't regurgitating back stuff she would test on and immediately forget.

DamianTV
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
It's all well and good to laugh or sneer at the linguistic practices of certain demographics--if we're not of that group and aware of what they're up against. It has been within the lifetimes of some of us that people of color have been hanged by the neck until dead for the 'crime' of being 'uppity' in states like Alabama...

They always start with those of us who are least able to defend ourselves, and especially target those that would have no one else to stand up for them.

JK/SEA
12-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Does Jizz have a special sauce?

yep...its called eduardomole

acptulsa
12-01-2013, 09:56 AM
They always start with those of us who are least able to defend ourselves, and especially target those that would have no one else to stand up for them.

And all the time they're targeting them with their guns, they're defending them with their mouths, lest their targets decide not to vote to reelect them.

phill4paul
12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
No charges for teens arrested while waiting for bus...so how about some harassment charges for the douche in blue?

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — The charges against three teens arrested while waiting for a bus last week will soon be dismissed, but as their story continues to spread around the country, they're asking for something more: an explanation.

"The young men are asking me 'Coach, why? Why were we arrested?' " said Jacob Scott, who coaches the boys — all members of Edison Tech High School's varsity basketball team.

The arrest touched off an outcry locally, and came under national scrutiny — a CNN camera crew was at Tuesday night's basketball game — but the answer to that question still isn't clear.

Rochester, N.Y., police, in an e-mailed statement, said the teens were arrested about 9 a.m. Nov. 27 when an officer assigned in the area saw "a group of individuals congregating on the sidewalk in front of a store on East Main Street, obstructing pedestrian traffic, and the entrance to the store." The teens didn't follow an order to disperse, the news release said, and were arrested for disorderly conduct.

But the teens — Raliek Redd, 16, Wan'Tauhjs Weathers and Daequon Carelock, both 17 — said they were simply obeying their coach by waiting for a bus to take them to a basketball scrimmage when an officer ordered them to leave.

"We tried to let him know ... that we weren't bad kids. We were just waiting for a bus to go to a scrimmage. It seemed like he didn't care," Weathers said Tuesday.

"I said, 'You gotta believe us,' " Carelock recalled. "When we were all in handcuffs, he looked through our bags and seen all our basketball stuff, so you know we're not lying. We're all not down there with basketball stuff, just chilling."

“We tried to let him know ... that we weren't bad kids. We were just waiting for a bus to go to a scrimmage.”
— Wan'Tauhjs Weathers, basketball player who was arrested
On Tuesday, Monroe County (N.Y.) District Attorney Sandra Doorley said she wouldn't prosecute the case. "After reviewing the facts associated with these arrests, I have decided to dismiss the charges in the interest of justice," she said in an e-mailed statement, and declined to discuss it further until the matter was fully resolved.

Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard said Tuesday that he respects Doorley's decision but believes the arrest was justified. He suggested that there might be more to the event than has come to light.

The Liberty Pole area has been the scene of fights and unruly behavior by teens in the past, and the police statement said the Rochester Police Department had received complaints from the proprietor of the nearby store about loitering and fights outside in the past.

But Scott said that wasn't what was going on last week. "Not all young males downtown are fighting. Not all young males are loitering. These young men were catching a bus to a scrimmage.''

Teens handcuffed, arrested, fingerprinted

Tuesday was opening night for Edison Tech's boys varsity basketball team.

"I feel great and I feel that now we can just focus on the season," Weathers said before the team took the court. "All of this is in the past, so I don't have to hear people saying, 'Oh, you were on the news.' "

Scott said he also was relieved the charges were dismissed, but the injury doesn't end there.

“After reviewing the facts associated with these arrests, I have decided to dismiss the charges in the interest of justice.”
— Sandra Doorley, district attorney Monroe County, N.Y.
"They've been handcuffed, they've been arrested, they were fingerprinted, so they've gone through that trauma," said Scott, who said his attempt to explain why the boys were there resulted in him being threatened with arrest. "And then for them to see what I kind of had to go through as well, I'm hoping this could definitely be a teaching tool.''

Mayor-elect Lovely Warren, a friend and distant relative of Scott's, campaigned for mayor in part on a push to improve relations between the police and the city. "I don't know what happened, and what would have made the police officer put the kids in the car," Warren said, and wondered why police didn't seek to confirm the boys' story before arresting them.

"Even the coach walked up and became engaged in it, but the demeanor and the attitude of the officer was like, 'I don't care who you are. I'm taking them to jail, you want to come down and pick them up in booking, and if I had a car for everybody else, I'd take you all down there, too.' "

Scott said he hoped to model positive behavior for the boys during the incident. "Trust me, it took everything in me to stay calm, but I did know also the repercussions," he said. "Instead of being an example, I wanted to show them an example of how to be in a situation that was totally out of my control."

Just waiting for bus

It's not yet clear whether the boys will need to return to court for the official dismissal of their charges, but Tuesday night's game was a chance to return to normalcy — sort of. After the game, all three were interviewed by CNN.

Scott and his players said they have heard no apologies or had any dialogue from or with any member of the Rochester Police Department, formally or informally.

"I really didn't think it was supposed to go this far," Carelock said. "I thought (the officer, who police have not named) should have just said, 'Alright kids, I'm going to give you a warning, and get moving.' If he did that, it would've been way more different than what it is now."

He said he was bothered that his parents got a call from the jail to come bail him out — all three made $200 bail. "What do you think mom is going to think?" he said. " 'What happened, what did you do?' That's the same thing that my aunt said to me, 'What did you do? ... you must have done something.' "

The idea that any teenager standing downtown is up to no good is what troubles Scott.

"We can't continue grouping people and labeling them because a few particular individuals do some things, that everyone who looks like them are going to do those things," he said Tuesday.

"In the past there's been loitering, there's been fights at this particular location, but on this particular day, none of my guys were loitering, and none of them were fighting. They were just there waiting for the bus."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/04/charges-against-ny-teens-will-be-dismissed/3868097/

angelatc
12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
The people harped up upon grammar lack proper, themselves.

OK.

Ender
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
No charges for teens arrested while waiting for bus...so how about some harassment charges for the douche in blue?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/04/charges-against-ny-teens-will-be-dismissed/3868097/

Wow.

So they threatened the coach, as well, for defending his students?

kcchiefs6465
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM
OK.
You haven't seen the type? There's an poster in particular I'm thinking of. He corrects people for the most trivial of reasons, knowing full well everyone got the point just fine, and often times is grammatically incorrect himself. I see it on other sites more than here, though.

kcchiefs6465
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM
OK.
You haven't seen the type? There's an poster in particular I'm thinking of. He corrects people for the most trivial of reasons, knowing full well everyone got the point just fine, and often times is grammatically incorrect himself. I see it on other sites more than here, though.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Some of these pictures (http://imgur.com/iJ4cxj2) and stories (like this one) are me.

Wow, that's you chained to the damn pole?

kcchiefs6465
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow, that's you chained to the damn pole?
No, that's not me. It looks just like me and when I was about that age I was chained similarly. When I saw the picture it made reminisce. The child there was arrested at school for some reason or another. His mother is suing the NYPD for five million, IIRC.