PDA

View Full Version : Private Prisons - The New Robber Barons (Vid)

DamianTV
11-25-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Zmlta0DYQ1Y

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2013, 04:45 PM
War On Us. :(

Danke
11-25-2013, 04:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Horse_thief_hanging.png/1024px-Horse_thief_hanging.png

Blowback.

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
What difference does it make whether a prison is 'private'? The video assumes that public prisons are less susceptible to corruption, but there's no reason to assume that. Every government employee is a private entity under contract with the government, just like CCA.

CCA isn't really private, as it receives 100% of its income from the government; but the people who made the video are communists using this as an excuse to demonize 'privatization' and 'profit'.

Henry Rogue
11-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Private companies profiting off of tax dollars are just as bad as government institutions. No different than Boeing or Lockheed. That ain't Free Market.

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 05:16 PM
That ain't Free Market.

A free market lets you boycott bad companies. Try boycotting CCA next time you're their customer. Not a free market.

This video is part of a larger campaign against 'private' prisons. The 'private' status of CCA is a red herring, and the campaign seems intended to fool people into believing that public prisons are less corrupt.

Henry Rogue
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
What difference does it make whether a prison is 'private'? The video assumes that public prisons are less susceptible to corruption, but there's no reason to assume that. Every government employee is a private entity under contract with the government, just like CCA.

CCA isn't really private, as it receives 100% of its income from the government; but the people who made the video are communists using this as an excuse to demonize 'privatization' and 'profit'.
For the purpose of balance >http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?434183-TN-Remember-the-cops-that-were-running-seizure-for-profit-on-the-Interstate
Government profiteering.

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
For the purpose of balance >http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?434183-TN-Remember-the-cops-that-were-running-seizure-for-profit-on-the-Interstate
Government profiteering.

and

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425943-Cops-freak-out-over-Holder-s-latest-policy-decision

acptulsa
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Private prisons specialize in work-release crap wherein prisoners are enticed to work because it's more pleasant outside for a few hours a day than inside all day. The prisoners then get the honor of turning their wages over to the prisons. Which is, in effect slavery.

The private prisons then kick bac--er, I mean make campaign contributions to the politicians in exchange for making everything illegal and making half of what's illegal punishable by a life sentence, so the private prisons can grab more slave labor wages and make more brib--er, there I go again, I really do mean campaign contributions.

Yes, states getting road work done by chain gangs is essentially the same thing. But, since private enterprise is more efficient, it seems to me that the financial inducements under the private prison system is ushering us into tyranny at a greatly accelerated rate. At least, I don't recall a time when we ever had such a huge portion of our population in prison.

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Private prisons specialize in work-release crap wherein prisoners are enticed to work because it's more pleasant outside for a few hours a day than inside all day. The prisoners then get the honor of turning their wages over to the prisons. Which is, in effect slavery.

The private prisons then kick bac--er, I mean make campaign contributions to the politicians in exchange for making everything illegal and making half of what's illegal punishable by a life sentence, so the private prisons can grab more slave labor wages and make more brib--er, there I go again, I really do mean campaign contributions.

Yes, states getting road work done by chain gangs is essentially the same thing. But, since private enterprise is more efficient, it seems to me that the financial inducements under the private prison system is ushering us into tyranny at a greatly accelerated rate. At least, I don't recall a time when we ever had such a huge portion of our population in prison.Sherriff Joe Arapaio is quite famous for his chain gang (men's and women's). They typically do manual labor like picking up garbage along the highways. A number of people volunteer for it to get some fresh air. Although they don't get paid, IMO it's a type of slave labor.

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Yes, states getting road work done by chain gangs is essentially the same thing. But, since private enterprise is more efficient, it seems to me that the financial inducements under the private prison system is ushering us into tyranny at a greatly accelerated rate. At least, I don't recall a time when we ever had such a huge portion of our population in prison.

What indication is there that public prisons specialize in this slavery less than 'private' prisons? What indication that prostitute-politicians are less interested in contributions from public prisons?

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
What indication is there that public prisons specialize in this slavery less than 'private' prisons? What indication that prostitute-politicians are less interested in contributions from public prisons?
No such indication exists AFAIK. We ought not be surprised to find big biz "hiring" prisoners to work for pennies a day...until it becomes mandatory...

acptulsa
11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

On the first point, public prisons work on public projects, and public projects are primarily done by the kind of contractors that are able to provide kickbacks these days. I've not heard of public prisons playing the 'work release' game the way private prisons do. At least it doesn't happen around here. Most of the 'infrastructure improvement' done these days is done not by employees, prisoners, or otherwise, but by the kind of contractors who can make kickb-er, I mean campaign contributions again. The private sector, meanwhile, is full of skinflints who are always happy to hire someone who is coerced to work for less, whether by the desire to breathe a little more freely for a few hours a day or whatever.

On the second point, since when does government run something efficiently enough that it has money left over to brib--er, I mean make campaign contributions to people with? And since when do government-run prisons have owners or stockholders to reap the profits--and to 'reinvest' the profits?

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I've not heard of...

Prisoners aren't allowed to contact the media,

Agreement Among Public Officials For Illegal Censorship (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nM2pX8LnUntYJJpPzokxsZAs0gRXy9MGK3qPwZRySlI/pub)

which accounts for some things not being heard of.

... public prisons playing the 'work release' game the way private prisons do.

If I understand what you mean by "the work release game", public prisons play it too, and the practice is welcomed by the BOP Director and the DOJ Inspector General:

BOP Extorts Illegal Labor From Prisoners (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b4yxO_SVy4JoEknyhNeXNSg_ZgADU4Nw0-47L0sSbHs/pub)

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I am familiar with BOP policy and with CCA's contracts with the DOJ, and see no reason to believe public prisons are taking less advantage than CCA.

On the second point, since when does government run something efficiently enough that it has money left over to brib--er, I mean make campaign contributions to people with?

You don't need to be efficient when your income comes from money that's extorted. That's how CCA profits; not through any efficiency. BOP seems no different.

And since when do government-run prisons have owners or stockholders to reap the profits--and to 'reinvest' the profits?

I'm assuming that a dollar of profit reaped by public prisons is just as appetizing to prostitute-politicians as a dollar from a 'private' owner or stockholder. The whole campaign against 'private' prisons looks like a poor excuse for ACLU and other communists to whine about free trade ("profit") -- as if prostitute politicians would be any less interested in kickbacks from the executive branch itself (which is comprised entirely of private entities under contract with the government). People employed by public prisons aren't working for free; all they care about is profit, and they are no less willing than CCA profiteers when it comes to bribing politicians. Despite the communist propaganda about 'private' and 'profit'.

ghengis86
11-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I think we need to make a distinction between 'private' and 'not public, but with public granted monopoly' and/or 'fascist' and/or 'corporatist'.

We're getting hung up on trivialities, which is what they want. Heaven forbid we ignore the symptoms and focus on the real problem of our exploding prison popation/state/planet.

FFS...

better-dead-than-fed
11-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Heaven forbid we ignore the symptoms and focus on the real problem of our exploding prison popation/state/planet.

FFS...

The exploding prison population/state is just a symptom of people allowing tyrannical majorities, politicians, judges, and cops to get away with violating the constitution. Liberty requires more than focus. What it requires, is something the mods won't allow to be discussed.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 09:56 PM
There should never, ever be a profit incentive or free market efficiencies applied to locking people up in rape cages.

Locking people up in gaol should be a messy, expensive and lugubrious process for the taxpayer.

Cutlerzzz
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Let's not insult the Robber Barons who brought the US prosperity by comparing them to the guys that make government rape factories.

Origanalist
11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
There should never, ever be a profit incentive or free market efficiencies applied to locking people up in rape cages.

Locking people up in gaol should be a messy, expensive and lugubrious process for the taxpayer.

/thread