PDA

View Full Version : TN-Remember the cops that were running seizure for profit on the Interstate?

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Task Force Head Claims 'Terrorism' Behind $160,000 Seizure

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 7:09 PM EST Updated: Nov 20, 2013 9:11 PM EST

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24027295/task-force-head-claims-terrorism-behind-160000-seizure

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- There was stunning testimony Wednesday before a state Senate committee as a local drug task force found itself facing tough questions.

The director of the 23rd Judicial District Drug Task Force responded to those questions -- about whether his agency was "policing for profit" -- with new claims that agents are really taking money out of the hands of terrorists.

While there's absolutely no evidence that the terrorism claim is true, the task force director ended up inadvertently conceding that interstate interdiction units do indeed have a profit motive.

"You said if the money is not there they could potentially lose their jobs or they could potentially lose those bonuses," observed Sen. Stacey Campfield, R-Knoxville, toward the end of the hearing.

As the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee opened hearings on Tennessee's drug task forces, the spotlight quickly focused on the 23rd, which operates along I-40 in Dickson County.

"I know very little about interdiction," admitted David Hicks.

Hicks directs the task force that received so much attention from NewsChannel 5's "Policing For Profit" investigation -- and his testimony had senators shaking their heads.

"I had a hard time understanding why somebody would come to testify before us who didn't have any answers to the questions that we asked," said the subcommittee chairman, Sen. Mike Bell, R-Riceville.

Senators especially wanted to know about a traffic stop exposed by NewsChannel 5 Investigates where an agent from the 23rd took $160,000 from a New York businessman, using federal seizure laws, even though the officer admitted on the video there was no evidence tying it to drug trafficking.
RELATED: Man Loses $160,000 In 'Policing For Profit' Case

"I don't know honestly if we can, if we can't link it to drugs, it's still a currency violation," he told a fellow officer.

Bell read that quote to Hicks.

"I would prefer to listen to the video than I had the media report, just to be honest with you," Hicks responded.

The drug task force director not only questioned whether the officer really made that statement, but then he then dropped what sounded like a bomb shell.

"I can tell you that money had terrorist ties overseas -- I will tell you that," he told the subcommittee.

"Then why was it returned to him?" asked Sen. Brian Kelsey, a Germantown Republican who chairs the full Senate Judiciary Committee.

"The DEA returned it to them -- we didn't," Hicks said.

In fact, our investigation discovered that the U.S. Attorney's Office returned the man's cash more than a year later after investigators could not make any kind of a case.

"When they were pressed on it when there was a case pending in federal court, when it was put-up-or-shut-up time, they couldn't produce a single shred of evidence to support these allegations," said the businessman's attorney, Olin J. Baker of Charlotte.

"At this point, they are making things up that's absolutely not true."

The attorney argued that agents from the 23rd are just trying to keep lawmakers from taking away their ability to seize cash from drivers -- because that's how they get paid.

In fact, Hicks conceded to lawmakers that "they know that if the money dries up, then they don't have job."

And it's that profit motive that now has lawmakers questioning whether those task forces need some tighter controls.

"I think that 90-95 percent of the time it's used in a legitimate way, but it's that 5-10 percent of the time when I'm afraid of the possibility that our citizens' rights are being abused," Bell said.

"That's what concerns me."

As for the terrorism allegations, the U.S. Attorney's Office also told NewsChannel 5 that it reviewed all of the evidence in that seizure case, prosecutors concluded there was no evidence that would allow the government to keep the cash.

"After a thorough review of the evidence in this case, including all information supplied by law enforcement agencies and the claimant, it was determined that the currency seized was not forfeitable under applicable statutes," the office said in a statement.

As for the subcommittee, Bell said they are looking at legislation for next year's session that would make sure that these task forces have real oversight to make sure citizens' rights are not being violated.

phill4paul
11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
SMFH. If officers started dying when they attempted to rob law abiding citizens then a for profit motive might not be enticement enough to take to the life of a highwayman.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 02:27 PM
SMFH. If officers started dying when they attempted to rob law abiding citizens then a for profit motive might not be enticement enough to take to the life of a highwayman.

Like privateers.

All the upside of being a pirate, without that pesky threat of being hung in the gibbets.

Keith and stuff
11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
"I think that 90-95 percent of the time it's used in a legitimate way..."
Such nonsense, unfortunately :(

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Such nonsense, unfortunately :(

Of course.

But only a tiny remnant of us understand that, understand that there is no "legitimate" in these seizure programs, where you are commanded to prove that your property is innocent before having it returned to you. (maybe)

The whole thing is a perverse affront to liberty: disgusting and tyrannical.

Which is why nobody cares.

phill4paul
11-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Of course.

But only a tiny remnant of us understand that, understand that there is no "legitimate" in these seizure programs, where you are commanded to prove that your property is innocent before having it returned to you. (maybe)

The whole thing is a perverse affront to liberty: disgusting and tyrannical.

Which is why nobody cares.

That's because Theye believe your property belongs to them. Your payment book might have your name on it. Your house and land might have your name attached to it. Your vehicle might be titled in your name. Your bank account probably has your name on it. Your pay check will have your name on it.

Your name is on every government and civil document in your existence.

NONE of that matters. THAT is this illusion of freedom.

Because it doesn't matter one damn bit. Unless you are willing to defend it.

otherone
11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
How is this any different than taxation?

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 07:00 PM
+rep

Someone cover me...outta ammo.

That's because Theye believe your property belongs to them. Your payment book might have your name on it. Your house and land might have your name attached to it. Your vehicle might be titled in your name. Your bank account probably has your name on it. Your pay check will have your name on it.

Your name is on every government and civil document in your existence.

NONE of that matters. THAT is this illusion of freedom.

Because it doesn't matter one damn bit. Unless you are willing to defend it.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 07:07 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Have Tennessee drug task forces lost their way?

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24015430/senate-committee-to-review-drug-task-forces

Love the way the media couches it in such dainty terms, like a child who got lost on the way home from school.

"Oh, My Stars, they have lost their way!"

FFS.

Hard hitting journalists would have written:

In the pursuit of alleged drug money, have Tennessee cops turned into nothing more than highway robbers, armed with badges and guns?

phill4paul
11-25-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24015430/senate-committee-to-review-drug-task-forces

Love the way the media couches it in such dainty terms, like a child who got lost on the way home from school.

"Oh, My Stars, they have lost their way!"

FFS.

Hard hitting journalists would have written:

In the pursuit of alleged drug money, have Tennessee cops turned into nothing more than highway robbers, armed with badges and guns?

Spare the rod, spoil the child.