PDA

View Full Version : Here we go. Shelter in place order at Yale.

kathy88
11-25-2013, 10:35 AM
On phone. No linky.

donnay
11-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Yale students told to 'shelter in place' as school investigates report of gunman on campus

DEVELOPING: Yale University officials confirmed a call was made reporting a gunman on campus and have ordered students to "shelter in place" while they search for a possible suspect.

The university posted on its website that, "There are confirmed reports of a person with a gun on campus on the Old Campus." The school has been placed on lockdown.

The Yale Daily News, the university's student-run newspaper, tweeted that SWAT teams are on site. There have been no reports of shots fired or anyone injured.

New Haven Police received an anonymous call just after 10 a.m. Monday from a phone booth in the 300 block of Columbus Avenue reporting a person on the Yale Campus with a gun.

Police have blocked off several downtown streets near the school -- with a heavy police presence reported on Elm Street.

The school is on November break, with classes to resume Dec. 2.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/25/yale-students-told-to-shelter-in-place-as-school-investigates-unconfirmed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fmost-popular+%28Internal+-+Most+Popular+Content%29

shane77m
11-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Someone called from a phone booth? Then it is probably a hoax. Or a guy carrying a folded apron.

Petar
11-25-2013, 11:47 AM
"Shelter in place" for these events is a cruel and sick joke.

Zippyjuan
11-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Anonomous person reported seeing somebody with a gun. Probable false alarm. Somebody wanted to start Thanksgiving vacation early?

amy31416
11-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Anonomous person reported seeing somebody with a gun. Probable false alarm. Somebody wanted to start Thanksgiving vacation early?

Midterms suck if you haven't studied.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Someone called from a phone booth? Then it is probably a hoax. Or a guy carrying a folded apron.

Called from a what?

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
"Shelter in place" for these events is a cruel and sick joke.

From another thread:

"Apparently there was a very loud crash. People inside the terminal did not know what was happening. Some people panicked and they self-evacuated from the terminal," reported KCAL9's Derek Bell.

Ah.

So now we know what the new "lockdown tubes" are being installed in airports for.

Can't have the cattle stampeding without orders from the enforcement class.

LOLOLOLOL...

Oh God, we are so fucked.

TSA rolls out new `Detention Portals' at Syracuse Airport exits.

http://www.surenews.com/tsa-rolls-out-new-detention-portals-at-syracuse-airport-exits.htm

Posted on November 19, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1nPcVfEaKdE

If you’re going to make me step into a clear tube that shuts behind me I darn well better be going to Narnia or get showered with hundred dollar bills. But hopping into a one-person contraption on the way out of the airport doesn’t look like much fun at all, especially in light of the already overly annoying security process.

Syracuse’s airport terminal just got a set of the new exits and already people are kind of confused. Is there a scanner? Can my mom come in with me? Is this beaming me up to Scotty on the starship Enterprise? No, no and no, explains CNYCentral.com.

The robotic voice tells travelers to step in, wait for the doors to close behind you, and then walk out the front when those doors close. The portals are simply meant to deter anyone who’s exited from going back into the terminal. It’s just a one-way tube, no transportation to lands thus far only imagined and no falling money. Boring.

“We need to be vigilant and maintain high security protocol at all times. These portals were designed and approved by TSA which is important,” said Syracuse Airport Commissioner Christina Callahan.

It’ll save the airport money because staff and police won’t have to monitor the exits as they did before, only show up if there’s trouble.

She adds that the Transportation Security Administration approved the design and installation, and it seems these tubes to nowhere fun could show up in other airports soon enough. I’m going to throw a fistful of cash up in the air if I ever get in one, just because.

Zippyjuan
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM
From another thread:

Ah.

So now we know what the new "lockdown tubes" are being installed in airports for.

LOLOLOLOL...

Oh God, we are so fucked.

TSA rolls out new `Detention Portals' at Syracuse Airport exits.

http://www.surenews.com/tsa-rolls-out-new-detention-portals-at-syracuse-airport-exits.htm

Posted on November 19, 2013

If you’re going to make me step into a clear tube that shuts behind me I darn well better be going to Narnia or get showered with hundred dollar bills. But hopping into a one-person contraption on the way out of the airport doesn’t look like much fun at all, especially in light of the already overly annoying security process.

Syracuse’s airport terminal just got a set of the new exits and already people are kind of confused. Is there a scanner? Can my mom come in with me? Is this beaming me up to Scotty on the starship Enterprise? No, no and no, explains CNYCentral.com.

The robotic voice tells travelers to step in, wait for the doors to close behind you, and then walk out the front when those doors close. The portals are simply meant to deter anyone who’s exited from going back into the terminal. It’s just a one-way tube, no transportation to lands thus far only imagined and no falling money. Boring.

“We need to be vigilant and maintain high security protocol at all times. These portals were designed and approved by TSA which is important,” said Syracuse Airport Commissioner Christina Callahan.

It’ll save the airport money because staff and police won’t have to monitor the exits as they did before, only show up if there’s trouble.

She adds that the Transportation Security Administration approved the design and installation, and it seems these tubes to nowhere fun could show up in other airports soon enough. I’m going to throw a fistful of cash up in the air if I ever get in one, just because.

I was in Italy some 20 years ago and many banks had doors like that.

shane77m
11-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Called from a what?

from the article
New Haven Police received an anonymous call just after 10 a.m. Monday from a phone booth
I didn't think there were anymore phone booths. I thought cell phones made them obsolete.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 03:11 PM
from the article
I didn't think there were anymore phone booths. I thought cell phones made them obsolete.

Me too, I'll be damned.

Danke
11-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Me too, I'll be damned.

Yeah, they exist, just hard to find.

Saw one just the other day at an airport. I was like, what? oh, wow. Only one phone though, the other ones were removed for laptop/phone charging stations.

eduardo89
11-25-2013, 05:08 PM

I don't see what's wrong with those doors...they just make sure the exits are truly one way. They've been used in Europe for years. A lot of banks in Spain have them as well as a security feature.

dannno
11-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Someone called from a phone booth?

What's a phone booth?

acptulsa
11-25-2013, 05:42 PM
There'd be a lot less panic on that campus if they'd just abolish Skull and Bones.

Those psychos make me afraid to visit New Haven...

What's a phone booth?

Superman's dressing room.

LibForestPaul
11-25-2013, 05:49 PM
From another thread:

Ah.

LOLOLOLOL...

Steerage class goes down with the ship dont ya know.

Anti Federalist
11-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't see what's wrong with those doors...they just make sure the exits are truly one way. They've been used in Europe for years. A lot of banks in Spain have them as well as a security feature.

Nothing.

Until you get trapped in one during a "lockdown".

Danke
11-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Any doors can be shut if the need arises. Even these: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRStt3fYu9bIAJEbV7ifrlZbgqYu_jCF RN4s95pAyfjwATZVXTHGQ

Anti Federalist
11-26-2013, 02:23 PM
bump

acptulsa
11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Stay inside. There's a cop on campus. We don't want you kids to become collateral damage.

You might be carrying squirt guns, or shorts, or a pop tart or something else he'd be likely to mistake for a firearm.

And we certainly don't want any of you young ladies raped. Or any of you young gentlemen, either.

We'll let you loose when the threat has left the campus.