PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Voters Reject Strict CEO Pay Limits in Referendum

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 07:01 PM
http://********************.com/swiss-voters-reject-strict-ceo-pay-limits-in-referendum/

CPUd
11-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Conservative.

Militant.

juleswin
11-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I wonder if the voters rejected the idea of any limit to executive pay or the level set by the referendum? Where is the exit poll when you need it.

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 07:36 PM
I wonder if the voters rejected the idea of any limit to executive pay or the level set by the referendum? Where is the exit poll when you need it.

That's an interesting question. According to the article the level was set at a ratio of 12:1.

Keith and stuff
11-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank goodness. I was worried about this.

Tax credits for stay-at-home parents also failed.

Increase in road tax also failed.

Good news all around!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_referendums,_2013#Results_4

This is much better then the September results:
Abolition of compulsory military service
73.2 against

And of course, the horrible Swiss regulation referendum that passed earlier this year. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_executive_pay_referendum,_2013

Czolgosz
11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
That they can put these types of measures of for vote is an indication of how Statist they are.

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 09:11 PM
That they can put these types of measures of for vote is an indication of how Statist they are.

That's a dumb statement. In Switzerland if you collect a certain amount of signatures any issue is put up for a national vote.

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 09:12 PM
This is much better then the September results:
Abolition of compulsory military service
73.2 against

The Swiss militia system is what has kept Switzerland out of wars, prevented a standing army, and been the reason why gun control has not been pushed on the Swiss people.

2young2vote
11-24-2013, 09:14 PM
The Swiss militia system is what has kept Switzerland out of wars and been the reason why gun control has not been pushed on the Swiss people.

I thought firearm use as well as Ammo were heavily regulated there....

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
I thought firearm use as well as Ammo were heavily regulated there....

Switzerland has the second highest gun ownership rate, after the US, in the developed world and is 4th overall.

You do need a permit to buy from a gun dealer, but everyone over 18 who has no criminal record and passes a psychiatric evaluation is able to get this permit. Private sales do no require a permit, but the seller needs to be reasonably certain that you are not a criminal (pretty much the same requirement that private gun sales have the in the US).

You do not need a permit to buy ammo and ammo is very cheap.

2young2vote
11-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Switzerland has the second highest gun ownership rate, after the US, in the developed world and is 4th overall.

You do need a permit to buy from a gun dealer, but everyone over 18 who has no criminal record and passes a psychiatric evaluation is able to get this permit. Private sales do no require a permit, but the seller needs to be reasonably certain that you are not a criminal (pretty much the same requirement that private gun sales have the in the US).

You do not need a permit to buy ammo and ammo is very cheap.

It seems like there is definitely a lot more regulation that many people seem to think. It actually doesn't sound much different from the USA, which is too restrictive already.

Quark
11-24-2013, 09:49 PM
The Swiss militia system is what has kept Switzerland out of wars, prevented a standing army, and been the reason why gun control has not been pushed on the Swiss people.

That doesn't make compulsory military service any less of compulsion. It's certainly possible to do all of these things with a voluntary militia, and this has been done in the past.

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 10:58 PM
That doesn't make compulsory military service any less of compulsion. It's certainly possible to do all of these things with a voluntary militia, and this has been done in the past.

I have absolutely no problem with Switzerland's style of militia, and obviously the people, by a huge majority, want to keep it that way.

NIU Students for Liberty
11-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I have absolutely no problem with Switzerland's style of militia, and obviously the people, by a huge majority, want to keep it that way.

Democracy/mob rule doesn't justify it the use of force against the minority. Pretty basic stuff.

eduardo89
11-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Democracy/mob rule doesn't justify it the use of force against the minority. Pretty basic stuff.

Switzerland allows conscientious objections from military service, so serving in the military really is actually voluntary.

Czolgosz
11-24-2013, 11:14 PM
That's a dumb statement. In Switzerland if you collect a certain amount of signatures any issue is put up for a national vote.

You have a comprehension problem.

Brian4Liberty
11-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Opposition to excessive pay has stiffened among the traditionally pro-business Swiss following the government bailout of UBS AG (UBSN), Switzerland’s biggest bank

Yet nothing is ever done about crony corporatism...

Keith and stuff
11-25-2013, 02:31 PM

I am confused. Do you support slavery? Because the people of Switzerland lover slavery.

Keith and stuff
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM

It is really sad but referendums are usually used to expand government. It's true from Maine to California. I don't know the solution but not giving the people the power of referendum seems to help slow the decline in freedom for a people. And since the Swiss have had the power of referendum for so long, it's remarkable that they are as free as they are right now. Must be lots of logical people there.

Cutlerzzz
11-25-2013, 03:05 PM
There might be people here upset that this failed too.

Czolgosz
11-26-2013, 11:00 AM
It is really sad but referendums are usually used to expand government. It's true from Maine to California. I don't know the solution but not giving the people the power of referendum seems to help slow the decline in freedom for a people. And since the Swiss have had the power of referendum for so long, it's remarkable that they are as free as they are right now. Must be lots of logical people there.

Good points.

Pericles
11-26-2013, 02:20 PM

100,000 and it is on the ballot. If it fails, you have to wait two years to try again.