PDA

View Full Version : Washington: Record number of Pot smokers arrested for DUI

CaseyJones
11-24-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/1123/Pot-smokers-arrested-for-DUI-A-record-high-in-Washington

Significantly more drivers pulled over by police in Washington state are testing positive for marijuana since legalization of the drug's recreational use took effect in January, according to figures released this week by the Washington State Patrol.

In the first six months with pot legal in the state, 745 drivers stopped by police tested positive for the drug's psychoactive ingredient, THC, in their blood, the data show.

Over half of those were over the state's new legal limit of 5 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood.

By contrast, in each of the last two full years, about 1,000 drivers who were pulled over tested positive for THC.

The increase comes despite the fact that recreational-use pot stores will not open in Washington state until next year.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Bob Calkins said the findings, while preliminary, indicate more people may be driving impaired than was the case before Washington and Colorado in January became the first states to legalize recreational use of the drug.

Brian4Liberty
11-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Lies, damned lies and government statistics.

Anti Federalist
11-24-2013, 04:22 PM
How'd they get the blood...???

Oh, yeah.

thoughtomator
11-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Stays in your blood a month, doesn't it?

Dr.3D
11-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, and most people could ride a bicycle backwards with 5ng/ml THC in their blood.

They really need to demonstrate an impairment rather than a blood content. It's not alcohol.

CaseyJones
11-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, and most people could ride a bicycle backwards with 5ng/ml THC in their blood.

They really need to demonstrate an impairment rather than a blood content. It's not alcohol.

some would even say driving stoned makes you a slightly better driver, I bet these numbers reflect a increase in testing more than more people driving stoned

Dr.3D
11-24-2013, 04:38 PM
some would even say driving stoned makes you a slightly better driver, I bet these numbers reflect a increase in testing more than more people driving stoned
Of course with more interest, there would be more testing.

GregSarnowski
11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Of course with more interest, there would be more testing.

There have already been several major university studies that prove it. People tend to drive slower and less aggressively. Only at extremely high impairment levels does it start to have a negative impact.

This and the destruction of the medical industry are some of the reasons why many cannabis advocates oppose "legalization".

devil21
11-24-2013, 05:48 PM
More blood tests overall at DUI checkpoints and traffic stops mean more positive results for substances. Statistics 101.

liberty2897
11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
How'd they get the blood...???

Oh, yeah.

Oh, yeah... coming soon to a state near you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP__uf2Ubp0

enhanced_deficit
11-24-2013, 06:48 PM
In the first six months with pot legal in the state, 745 drivers stopped by police tested positive for the drug's psychoactive ingredient, THC, in their blood, the data show.

By contrast, in each of the last two full years, about 1,000 drivers who were pulled over tested positive for THC.

Aty the risk of quoting Mel Gibson, I don't have a dog in this fight but going to hand these stats over to the "angry girl" for examination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruQy-X32O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruQy-X32O0

RJB
11-24-2013, 06:48 PM
some would even say driving stoned makes you a slightly better driver

Less road rage? :)

Anti Federalist
11-24-2013, 07:01 PM

LOL and give that enforcement up?

Anti Federalist
11-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Oh, yeah... coming soon to a state near you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP__uf2Ubp0

That's freedom right there.

MuriKa!

seapilot
11-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Less road rage? :)

Probably more because of the overly caffeinated Starbuck drinkers stuck going slower behind a happy relaxed dude.

kcchiefs6465
11-24-2013, 10:25 PM
No. It stays in your urine for upwards of six weeks if you are a habitual user. Metabolic rates and your body fat content playing a role. A month after smoking and you should most certainly be fine.

It stays in your blood for upwards of 72 hours. If you smoke a gram (not a lot, at all), eat, fuck, whatever, go to sleep and wake up completely sober, get pulled over and tested, you will be convicted of a DUI. Five nanograms is a ridiculously low amount. States like Ohio, which arguably has the second worst (before these "legal" marijuana states, of course) Per Se DUI laws are even at 25 nanograms (IIRC, it might even be as high as 35.. the different states vary, as well). It is nothing more than bureaucrats not understanding the regulations they propose. And the authoritarian do gooders line up in droves to support them.

tod evans
11-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Kill the lawyers.

Instant solution to this and many other problems.

mrsat_98
11-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Kill the lawyers.

Reported to the plus rep police.

brandon
11-25-2013, 06:00 AM

I think that's urine that it stays detectable in for about a month. Blood is a bit shorter... a few hours or a day or something.

Danke
11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Reported to the plus rep police.

Thank you.

Danke
11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Kill the lawyers.

How about not registering you car to the state and handing over ownership?

tod evans
11-26-2013, 05:56 AM
How about not registering you car to the state and handing over ownership?

WTF does registering your car have to do with the overabundance of lawyers and the litigation they propagate?

specsaregood
11-26-2013, 06:13 AM
It is nothing more than bureaucrats not understanding the regulations they propose.

I think it is much more than that; in fact I don't think that is the problem at all.

Root
11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
There are times when it's ok to canna-drive and times when it's isn't, mostly weather related.

kcchiefs6465
11-26-2013, 10:48 AM
There are times when it's ok to canna-drive and times when it's isn't, mostly weather related.
I don't know. I've driven through some white outs people wouldn't believe. Cars were crashing left and right (literally). Drove up the old state road on feel alone and surprisingly didn't die. I haven't smoked in a couple years, but I could smoke a gram of Kush and take their test to this day, flawlessly. I'm not just saying this, as there are many, many, many, (most everyone I hung out with) who can as well but me driving off of bars, weed, and liquor would make them rethink DUI laws. I was the designated drunk driver for years.

And likewise I've known many people who "drove drunk" daily. Wind, sleet, or snow, I'd trust my life in their hands when it comes to driving. They don't drive drunk anymore because the police are ruining lives. I've done the statistics before. The numbers are absurdly low. (amount of DUI related deaths compared to amount of those driving drunk yearly) The people who are afraid of drivers smoking marijuana and driving, are the people who have never smoked marijuana and/or never smoked marijuana and drove. It's a little bit depressing to me that so many lives are impeded for such a victimless crime.

Root
11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't know. I've driven through some white outs people wouldn't believe. Cars were crashing left and right (literally). Drove up the old state road on feel alone and surprisingly didn't die. I haven't smoked in a couple years, but I could smoke a gram of Kush and take their test to this day, flawlessly. I'm not just saying this, as there are many, many, many, (most everyone I hung out with) who can as well but me driving off of bars, weed, and liquor would make them rethink DUI laws. I was the designated drunk driver for years.

And likewise I've known many people who "drove drunk" daily. Wind, sleet, or snow, I'd trust my life in their hands when it comes to driving. They don't drive drunk anymore because the police are ruining lives. I've done the statistics before. The numbers are absurdly low. (amount of DUI related deaths compared to amount of those driving drunk yearly) The people who are afraid of drivers smoking marijuana and driving, are the people who have never smoked marijuana and/or never smoked marijuana and drove. It's a little bit depressing to me that so many lives are impeded for such a victimless crime.
Yeah, every situation is different. One thing weed is good for is it helps you to focus in on something. As a skier, I head out in every snowstorm and there's times when it's helpful and when it isn't.

I used to be really scared to drive, or even take it out with me. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started using it with sports, which meant driving somewhere. I won't if there is heavy rain, fog, or if I think there's black ice.