PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Evaluation: David Vogt (U.S. House, MD-6)

Bryan
11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
This thread is intended to be a collection point of the strong pros and cons of any potential liberty candidate / campaign that is being discussed / promoted on the forum. You are welcome to post both positive and not-so-positive attributes about the candidate as they related to their position on supporting liberty as well as issues relating to their campaign. The most important information may be aggregated in this top post for easy reference.

Candidate Name: David Vogt
Office Sought: U.S. House, MD-6
Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/vote4vogt2014
https://twitter.com/Vote4VogtTeam
http://www.youtube.com/user/vote4vogt2014?feature=watch

Candidate Profile: On the Issues
Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile: Competition & Demographics
State: Maryland
District: 6th
Incumbent:
Other Primary Candidates:
Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties:
Relevant poll numbers: None.
Overall Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]

Miscellaneous Pros/Cons
Key strong points:

Unknown points for further research:

Possible weak points:

Possible deal breakers:

Overall Rating:

blackflag10
12-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Incumbent: John Delaney (D)---Delaney is among the wealthiest members of Congress, and he financed $2.4 million of his campaign in 2012 out of his own pocket. He campaigned as a moderate but has almost exclusively voted with Democrats.

A little about David

David Vogt is a Marine combat veteran, having been deployed to Afghanistan in 2010. He was also named the 2010 Marine of the Year for his leadership and service displayed throughout his time as a Marine. He dedicated his free time to volunteering, both in the Corps and in the community. After returning from Afghanistan, he took a position at the Pentagon, but resigned that position to run for Congress as a Republican in Maryland's 6th Congressional District.

Some key policy Issues:

Constitution

When I joined the United States Marine Corps, I stood before an officer of the United States Armed Forces and swore an oath to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same…”

My time in the Marine Corps has ended, but that oath has not expired. As a Congressman, I will measure every decision I make by the United States Constitution. It is the cornerstone from which all powers of government are derived, and it seems that many in our Federal Government have forgotten that.

I oppose any acts of Federal Government that unconstitutionally grow the scope, size, or power of government and erode our Constitutional liberties. I oppose any foreign treaties or agreements which do not abide by our Constitution, such as the United Nation’s arms treaty.

National Defense

As a Congressman, I will never vote to send American men and women into harm’s way if there is no threat to American security or interests. We must balance our desire to police the world with our obligation to act rationally and responsibly.

In providing for the national defense, the Federal Government must abide by the Constitution. In the last several years, we have seen a large increase in the power of the Federal Government at the expense of our most basic Constitutional rights.

The Patriot Act, CISPA, SOPA, the National Defense Authorization Act, and the NSA’s data collection program are all examples of government programs which seek to provide for the national defense while completely and utterly ignoring the United States Constitution. It is imperative that these programs operate within the framework of our Constitution. If they cannot do that, then they need to be ended immediately.

Monetary Policy

When $85 billion a month is being injected into our economy every month, the American people deserve to know to whom this money is going. As a Congressman, I would support efforts to audit the Federal Reserve and restore transparency to our monetary system.

Jobs & Economy

A conservative fiscal policy needs to be the first and foremost priority of our federal government. We need to rein in runaway government spending and drastically review the programs that are wasting billions of dollars every year with little to no positive impact on the nation. Our annual budget is mismanaged, bloated, and inefficient. Having worked within the federal government for 9 years, I know from experience that there are plenty of areas where resources are being consistently wasted.

Businesses today are swamped and burdened by pages and pages of unnecessary government regulations. These regulations increase the cost of doing business, and these costs are passed on to consumers via higher prices. These regulations also prevent businesses from innovating, expanding, and creating jobs. One of the best ways for the federal government to help small businesses and the overall economy is to remove these unnecessary and complicated regulations.

Central planning of the economy generally helps special interests that can afford to lobby Congress for preferred outcomes, while small businesses and individuals are hampered by government oversight, regulations, and interferences. This impedes on the ability for these businesses and individuals to improve their economic situations, thereby improving the economic situation of the country as a whole.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
My anti-virus software detects a threat on his campaign website:

https://vogtformaryland.com/

Brian4Liberty
12-10-2013, 04:34 PM
My anti-virus software detects a threat on his campaign website:

https://vogtformaryland.com/

Problem fixed. He looks good on the issue on his website.

CG1976
12-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Problem fixed. He looks good on the issue on his website.

agreed. Looks like an impressive candidate. Is the district heavily
democrat? What are chances of victory?