PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul to Chris Christie: Let’s have a Twinkie

jct74
11-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Rand Paul to Chris Christie: Let’s have a Twinkie

http://images.politico.com/global/2013/08/07/130807_rand_paul_chris_christie_ap_328.jpg

By JOSE DELREAL | 11/21/13 6:52 PM EST

Sen. Rand Paul is still hoping to bury the hatchet with New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie, and the latest invitation is to settle their disputes over a fried Twinkie.

“I’ve been trying to get him to go out for a beer with me anyway, so maybe you can get that organized,” Paul (R-Ky.) told conservative radio host Simon Conway on Wednesday. “Or if there’s a state fair we can go for a fried Twinkie.”

Paul was responding to a question over whether he’d be willing to sit down with Christie and Conway for a joint interview, should they both find themselves in Iowa at the same time.

“Absolutely,” Paul responded.

“I’ll come with, I’d love to get that organized. I’ll even take all my recording devices away,” Conway said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/rand-paul-chris-christie-twinkie-100237.html

mwkaufman
11-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I know generally doctors are pretty mean to fat people, but I think this is going a bit too far. The king of bacon remarks were much better, this is just crass.

Brian4Liberty
11-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I notice that this story does not have the actual audio. Same with another story on this. Would be nice to hear this in context.

jct74
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
I notice that this story does not have the actual audio. Same with another story on this. Would be nice to hear this in context.

@6:30

http://www.whoradio.com/pages/simonconway.html?article=11846474

anaconda
11-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Another story on the subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/11/21/rand-paul-proposes-fried-twinkie-summit-with-christie/

Thor
11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Paul was responding to a question over whether he’d be willing to sit down with Christie and Conway for a joint interview

Only in Colorado or Washington....

compromise
11-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Only in Colorado or Washington....

Maybe now, Speciallyblend will finally support Rand.

Natural Citizen
11-21-2013, 06:31 PM
So we've moved from big gulp props to twinkie articles? Beautiful. :rolleyes:

libertywanter
11-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Well nobody is completely perfect but I do expect better out of Rand. But really on an importance level, Rands low blow on Christie really doesnt mean that much compared to all the good things Rand is doing.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-21-2013, 08:17 PM
I went to a fair in New Jersey once; they had deep-fried oreos.

juleswin
Rand should be very careful throwing stones cos the other side can just hack away at his short stature and hair. Dont make it personal Rand, but I did laugh for a good 30s after reading the OP but then came to my senses :).

Natural Citizen
Well nobody is completely perfect but I do expect better out of Rand. But really on an importance level, Rands low blow on Christie really doesnt mean that much compared to all the good things Rand is doing.

Rand Paul is the best option right now but this kind of stuff just annoys me. There are so many important things that we just don't hear about from our elected ones. I know we get to hear the we ask, you decide kind of discussion when they're on the cable networks and when maneuvering to conform to that model or narrative but the really imperative things that directly infringe upon the people just don't get brought up on those kinds of platforms. I'm just to my wits end with these kinds of articles. They distract.

brushfire
11-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Ahhh what the heck. What's wrong with poking a little fun at Chrissie's fat a$$? Chrissie is a BIG boy, he can handle it.

It'll get Rand in the news and on the late night shows or something... The media outlets love them some drama, and I'm sure the comment will help Rand more than it hurts him.

Fried twinkie is good though... Had some fried oreos at last year's fair, and I about kilt myself... Maybe I'll call Rand dangerous? Maybe I can get a free beer and a twinkie?

alucard13mm
11-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Dont think Rand should poke fun at Christie's weight (even if its not intended to be about his weight), especially more and more people in the USA is getting fat/obese.

Mr.NoSmile
11-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Classy, Mr. Senator. But most politicians are dicks, so it's nothing new.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Christie is a douche, but he seems pretty witty. I don't think Rand will come out well if he decides to exchange barbs with him. I think Rand should just ignore him, Christie will implode all by himself.

sluggo
11-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Should have said "Twinkies" if he wanted Christie to agree.

libertywanter
11-21-2013, 08:50 PM
While I agree the twinkie comment shows maturity issues for Rand and also agree with alucard that many voters are fat and wouldnt like comments like this, I think Rand does have a problem of censoring himself, this isn't the first time he said something stupid and I am sure it won't be the last time, but in a way it is refreshing to see a politician that speaks his mind whether it be politically correct or not, most of them sneak around lie, Rand says what he really feels, which is a good thing, more people need to realize that nobody is perfect, Rand Paul included. I would much rather have someone with transparency in DC than the common sneaky bastards.

LibertyEagle
11-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I think everyone, moreso the press, is making too much out of it. If Christie wasn't fat, no one would have thought anything of the comment. I agree though that he should think things through more before he says them.

Matt Collins
11-21-2013, 08:56 PM
So we've moved from big gulp props to twinkie articles? Beautiful. :rolleyes:

He has met the qualifications to be President :p

green73
11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I think everyone, moreso the press, is making too much out of it. If Christie wasn't fat, no one would have thought anything of the comment. I agree though that he should think things through more before he says them.

http://th448.photobucket.com/albums/qq209/Tejrinde/Emoticons/Wink/th_Wink-2.gif

invisible
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
It's probably safer to have a twinkie with christie, than it is to invite michele bachmann to go have a corndog, or invite romney over for some fudge.

Brett85
11-21-2013, 09:13 PM
I just don't understand why Rand says this kind of stuff. It just comes across as being really immature. He's going to have to cut back on these kind of mistakes during his Presidential run.

FriedChicken
11-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Yeah, this is the kind of politics that doesn't excite me at all.
I hope this was calculated and he makes a net gain from it - even though I don't like this kind of stupid political tactic I'm still rooting for Rand as the candidate.

I remember becoming very annoyed how Rand kept taunting Obama in 2010's race - offering to pay for his expenses if he would agree to campaign for Jack Conway. I just remember thinking it was dumb and kind of immature sounding. But turns out that the voters were loving it.

But I'd love to see him attack Christie on civil liberties more. That is making a blow at the independent and liberal voting block Christie depends on. Maybe Paul won't be able to win them over, but maybe if he makes Christie look like George W. Bush they will stay home.

Influenza
11-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Are they planning on running for President of the United States or 6th grade? Is there a difference? :O

satchelmcqueen
11-22-2013, 12:06 AM
i dont know what some of you are upset about. rand is making these people look like fools by doing things like this. hes taunting them and making them a joke to the public. i understand your worry, but i think rand does this kind of thing better than anyone. hes coming off as cool to for the younger people. he will carry obamas charisma except itll be real and not fake.

jtstellar
11-22-2013, 12:22 AM
are a majority of you fat or something

rp08orbust
11-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Rand should be very careful throwing stones cos the other side can just hack away at his short stature and hair.

I suppose Rand could just shave all his hair off, but there's nothing he can do about his height. Nobody needs to be morbidly obese, however.

jtstellar
11-22-2013, 01:11 AM
well i mean rand is kinda cheeky.. he's not vicious or mean spirited or unclassy like some people keep wanting to steer the conversation, but he just likes to tease people.. shorter people often do, they like to soften the atmosphere around them. some of you guys are just morbidly anti social.. no wonder we had problems growing.. it was almost entirely thanks to the liberty message itself, but none of the personalities, if those personalities weren't contributing negatives from the outset

fr33
11-22-2013, 01:29 AM
If Christie is going to be president, then the US has gone full idiocracy more than I thought. Modern Americans don't want to admit they are Chris Cristies. They still vote for people in the same fashion they voted for homecoming queen/king. If Christie is the nominee, say hello to another dem pres.

Romulus
11-22-2013, 11:37 AM
A twinkie or diet coke... there are no correct words. People will blame you for "fat shaming". It's the new version of race card.

People need to get over it.

compromise
11-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't expect there to be any fried Twinkies left over for Rand.

brushfire
11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/11_2012/twinkie-internet-15.gif

rich34
11-22-2013, 01:34 PM
This doesn't bother me one bit, but God forbid Rand offend some folks and allow Christie to play the victim card here. In the future Rand might need to be a little more careful about what he says, at least if he said chili dog or hot dog he could say he was referring to the pork that Christie loves so much and no I'm not talking about the kind you eat... ; - )

Schifference
11-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Why wouldn't going out for a beer offend alcoholics?

rich34
11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Why wouldn't going out for a beer offend alcoholics?

You know there's always certain segments of the population that get offended more easily than others. Fat folks are just one and I won't mention no more, besides a lot of alchy's are proud of it.

libertarian101
11-22-2013, 02:37 PM
"Twinkie" Lol . As funny as it is, this kind of high school kid like tit for tat damages both Rand and Christie image and makes people like Scot Walker look more presidential and give them advantage. Rand should ignore Christy unless he directly calls him out as election is 3 years away. :D Plus i don't think it's good idea to make fat joke when you are running for president in the second fattest country in the world next to Mexico

Natural Citizen
11-22-2013, 02:45 PM
People need to get over it.

Absolutely. I could not agree more. So let's start here...

Rockefeller attaches cybersecurity bill to NDAA 2014.... (http://rt.com/usa/rockefeller-cyber-ndaa-commerce-168/)

In 2012, attempts in Congress to pass the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, ultimately failed due largely in part to a major public campaign that condemned the would-be law due to allegations that it would erode privacy on the web by encouraging the growth of a public-private partnership between internet companies and the federal government.

What say's Rand?

There is probably something else going on if this news isn't worthy of discussion in a manner equal to the all important twinkie speak. In fact, I'm sure of it. Could probably scribble up a whole list.

FloralScent
11-22-2013, 02:50 PM
i dont know what some of you are upset about. rand is making these people look like fools by doing things like this. hes taunting them and making them a joke to the public. i understand your worry, but i think rand does this kind of thing better than anyone. hes coming off as cool to for the younger people. he will carry obamas charisma except itll be real and not fake.

He gained points with me for it. If he'd chucked a harpoon at his fat ass I would've got out my wallet. Politics isn't supposed to be polite there's too much at stake. I fucking hate the pricks that got us into this mess and it looks like Rand may hate them too.

FloralScent
11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
are a majority of you fat or something

Rep for that!

Christian Liberty
11-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't expect there to be any fried Twinkies left over for Rand.

/thread

He gained points with me for it. If he'd chucked a harpoon at his fat ass I would've got out my wallet. Politics isn't supposed to be polite there's too much at stake. I fucking hate the pricks that got us into this mess and it looks like Rand may hate them too.

LOL! Honestly, I hope Rand was trying to insult him, because he played too nice with Christie for too long.

jtstellar
11-22-2013, 03:24 PM
well rand is just more playful/less serious than ron, and sometimes playful people get taken in the wrong way when other people think everything he does is serious and out of some severe committment to something sacred like everything ron does. it still makes me laugh, now that people understand rand better, how he used to (and still from time to time) be treated as some shady character because he doesn't act the serious way ron does. rand is just street smart and americans dig that.. when it comes down to it, he's going to make the same decision that ron does when the button is presented in front of him. and in terms of people who are wanting him to act as seriously and as stiffly as ron.. you can work on political delivery but i don't think you can change your nature. he deserves an apology from people who wronged him probably, but guess what, he's not going to ask for it and that's part of the reason why he makes people around him feel easier.

libertarian101
11-22-2013, 04:12 PM
rand is just street smart and americans dig that.. when it comes down to it, he's going to make the same decision that ron does
when the button is presented in front of him. and in terms of people wanting him to act as seriously and as stiffly as ron.. you can work on political delivery but i'm not sure you can change your nature huh ? you couldn't be more wrong. No body is asking Rand to be stiff as Ron, we are just reminding him that if you are going to dish it out, be prepared to take it. Rand is nowhere near street smart as Christy is and, Christy have the tougher skin and more media cheer leader than Rand. Rand can hit Christy hard if he's going to criticize him for supporting Obamacare and thing like that but if he's going continue to mock Christy for being fat, he should expect Christy to retaliate by mocking him about Rand needing hearing aid on both ear, his height, his hair and etc.

helenpaul
11-22-2013, 05:38 PM
very comical.

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2013, 01:41 AM
well i mean rand is kinda cheeky.. he's not vicious or mean spirited or unclassy like some people keep wanting to steer the conversation, but he just likes to tease people.. shorter people often do, they like to soften the atmosphere around them. some of you guys are just morbidly anti social.. no wonder we had problems growing.. it was almost entirely thanks to the liberty message itself, but none of the personalities, if those personalities weren't contributing negatives from the outset

It's a personality-type issue. Where are those Myers-Briggs polls?

philipped
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
This bickering is gonna be the making of a very interesting compilation video of "Rand Paul vs. Chris Christie" LOL.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Rand wears hearing aids?

loveshiscountry
11-23-2013, 06:45 PM
So twinkie relates to fat, but beer doesn't? He has a twinkie gut.

amy31416
11-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Didn't Christie get a lap band a while ago? I don't understand how he can still be so enormous.

Feeding the Abscess
11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Didn't Christie get a lap band a while ago? I don't understand how he can still be so enormous.

He probably weighed close to 500 pounds. He apparently has lost close to 100 pounds since the surgery.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/chris-christie-pre-lap-band-surgery-vs-chris-christie-today

gwax23
11-23-2013, 08:43 PM
He probably weighed close to 500 pounds. He apparently has lost close to 100 pounds since the surgery.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/chris-christie-pre-lap-band-surgery-vs-chris-christie-today

Basterd cant even lose weight in his own. This is the guy people want running our country?

jtstellar
11-23-2013, 09:00 PM

five-hundred?

Feeding the Abscess
11-23-2013, 09:04 PM
five-hundred?

Ruben Studdard was 450 pounds at 6'3". I'm not sure how tall Chris Christie is (appeared to be a few inches shorter than Obama - 5'11" perhaps?), but I wouldn't believe anything under 400 pre-surgery.

anaconda
11-24-2013, 01:54 AM
He seems like a good sport about it. I don't think his weight should be an issue other than the health ramifications for a sitting President (He sure looks young - I believe this was from sometime last year..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfHeUrnZoY

anaconda
11-24-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure how tall Chris Christie is (appeared to be a few inches shorter than Obama - 5'11" perhaps?), but I wouldn't believe anything under 400 pre-surgery.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-cvr-121031-obama-christie-1030a.grid-6x2.jpg

jtstellar
11-24-2013, 03:11 AM
He seems like a good sport about it. I don't think his weight should be an issue other than the health ramifications for a sitting President (He sure looks young - I believe this was from sometime last year..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfHeUrnZoY

sitting indeed..

FriedChicken
11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Basterd cant even lose weight in his own. This is the guy people want running our country?

Some people are obese at no fault of their own/their lifestyle. There are often times many uncontrollable/hard to identify/difficult to correct variables and factors that make it seem impossible for some people to lose weight.

Before anyone asks - no, I'm not over weight. I'm 5' 9", 155lbs and I got abs bro!
But my whole life I've known people that have battled being over weight very admirably and gained my respect for it only to be thought of as an undisciplined fat slob by people who put next to no effort into staying thin. (like myself. I've never had a tendency to gain weight even though I eat more than just about everyone I know. In fact when I was weight training I was at a disadvantage because I couldn't store any fat to assist with muscle growth)

I have no idea what Christie's reason for being over weight is.
Just saying its not necessarily evidence of a lack of self control and could be evidence of unresolved health problems.

I'm being over sensitive, I know. But there was a time when people treated my mom horrible because she was fat and in a wheelchair. They had this attitude like "well if you'd get off your but and walk you wouldn't have these problems!"
Makes you want to punch them and say "no, if she got and walked she'd die of a stroke you prick. She has right-heart failure - and for your information she is on a stricter diet than you've ever even thought of being on ... so you and your 20min bake pizzas can get in the check out line and ..." yeah. I'm over sensitive. lol.

acptulsa
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I have no idea what Christie's reason for being over weight is.
Just saying its not necessarily evidence of a lack of self control and could be evidence of unresolved health problems.

I'm being over sensitive, I know.

No, you're not.

In recent years, we've seen tons of evidence that there are millions of self-styled 'compassionate liberals' who are just dying to get socialized medicine enacted and use it to tyrannically jump all over major segments of the population because of their 'lifestyle choices'. How many people are liable to die before these arrogant amateur dictators get their educations in such subjects as hypo-thyroid disease?

You are not being overly sensitive. If we don't protect people from the hoardes of better-than-thous who believe, as Mark Twain observed, that, 'Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits,' who will?

acptulsa
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
dp

libertywanter
11-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Got to agree with you FRIEDCHICKEN, as I said earlier in this thread I dont think it is that big of a deal compared to all the good Rand is doing, but yes it is immature and insensitive. We try to tell kids to stop bullying and we see it in government, not that kids pay attention to the government but still. I agree 100% with you that overweight people get that way sometimes through no fault of their own. Everyone's body is different and there are way too many people out there that cant understand everyone is not the same as them and if they are different there is something wrong with them. I also know many people that have a weight problem and it is clearly from underlying medical issues. I for one eat like a horse and sit on my ass way too many hours a day, but yet am not too overweight, hell I should weigh 500 lbs too, but fortunately my body can process what I put through it. People need to learn if something is different about someone it doesnt mean anything bad about the person, and they have no idea of their underlying medical issues or what they go through for that matter. Anyway good post FriedChicken, very good.

enhanced_deficit
11-25-2013, 01:18 AM
http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-cvr-121031-obama-christie-1030a.grid-6x2.jpg

Christie would rather break twinkie err bread with SWC drone king as they are both funded by same neocon lobbies.

jj-
12-01-2013, 01:59 PM

That's how hypothyroidism manifests in Christie. In other people it manifests as fatigue, irritability, anxiety. 40% of the population is hypothyroid. The ranges of the blood tests are wrong.

klamath
12-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Poor move Rand. Unpresidential. Seems Rand might have inherited some of Ron's disdain for unfit people i.e. Ron's attack on the fat kid on the Morton downy show in the '80's.

NewRightLibertarian
12-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Keep hurling the fat jokes at this scumbag, Rand! Make this slob into a national laughingstock

idiom
12-01-2013, 07:06 PM
This doesn't bother me one bit, but God forbid Rand offend some folks and allow Christie to play the victim card here. In the future Rand might need to be a little more careful about what he says, at least if he said chili dog or hot dog he could say he was referring to the pork that Christie loves so much and no I'm not talking about the kind you eat... ; - )

Who will vote for a victim?

idiom
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Poor move Rand. Unpresidential. Seems Rand might have inherited some of Ron's disdain for unfit people i.e. Ron's attack on the fat kid on the Morton downy show in the '80's.

They have disdain for people who can't control their spending either.

At some point America is going to have to start choosing responsibility. You can't vote for other people to be responsible for you.

This is the essence of America's entire debacle.

Origanalist
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
No matter how many times this thread gets bumped, I still dont want a twinkie.

seyferjm
12-01-2013, 10:06 PM
No matter how many times this thread gets bumped, I still dont want a twinkie.

x2