PDA

View Full Version : CA: Ordinance makes it illegal for residents to smoke in their own homes if they share a wall

aGameOfThrones
11-21-2013, 06:00 PM
The town of San Rafael, Calif., has passed a ban on smoking that city officials have called the most stringent in the nation. The new ordinance makes it illegal for residents to smoke in their own homes if they share a wall with another dwelling.

The ban applies to owners and renters alike, and it covers condominiums, co-ops, apartments and any multi-family residence containing three or more units.

Rebecca Woodbury, an analyst at the San Rafael City Manager's office, helped craft the ban, which took effect Nov.14. "We based it on a county ordinance," she told ABC News, "but we modified it, and ended up making it the strictest. I'm not aware of any ordinance that's stronger."

Cities with similar but less severe smoking restrictions include Cambridge, Mass., and other California cities, including Walnut Creek and Tiburon. In June, the Related Companies became the first developer and property owner to ban smoking in all 40,000 of its rental residences in 17 states.

Jessica Scaperotti, a spokeswoman for Related, said the ban had been popular. "There are more people who want to live in smoke-free environments than there are apartments available. Demand far exceeds supply."

The provisions that make San Rafael's rule unique, said Woodbury, include the prohibition on smoking in dwellings that share a wall, including owner-occupied condos, duplexes and multi-family units. "It doesn't matter if it's owner-occupied or renter-occupied. We didn't want to discriminate. The distinguishing feature is the shared wall."

As justification for the rule, she cited studies showing that secondhand smoke seeped through ventilating ducts and walls, even through cracks. "It depends on a building's construction," she said, "but it does affect the unit next door, with the negative health impacts due to smoke."

The ordinance cites such studies, plus a 2011 study by UCLA that found that California property owners paid up to $18 million a year to clean apartments vacated by tenants who'd smoked.

Asked if there was opposition to the ordinance, Woodbury said there was hardly any. "We have a very low percentage of smokers in the county," she said, referring to Marin.

George Koodray, New Jersey state coordinator for Citizens Freedom Alliance and the Smoker's Club, called San Rafael's rule and ones like it "mischievous." Years ago, he said, when restrictions on smoking were first introduced, "the spirit of the legislation was supposedly to protect people who did not want to be exposed to smoke." Today, he said, the motivating spirit had changed: People disapprove of the habit, and wish to restrict it whether or not it affects them directly. Bans like San Rafael's, he believes, are far removed from being a sincere effort to bring about a health benefit.

"I don't believe it's rooted in science," said Koodray, who is president of the Metropolitan Society, a group of New Jersey cigar smokers. "Someone smoking in a sealed apartment endangers the health of others in the building? The science for that is spurious at best."

Steve Stanek, a research fellow at the Chicago-based Heartland Institute, which he calls a free market-oriented public policy group, views the San Rafael ban as part of a wider trend: a proliferation of rules of all kinds.

"I don't like cigarettes, and I've never taken a puff," he said. "My sympathies aren't with smokers because I am one, it's because of the huge growth in laws and punishments and government restricting people more and more." Illinois' criminal code was 72 pages long in 1965, he said; today it's more than 1,300 pages long. "The encroachment of government is astonishing," he said.

http://gma.yahoo.com/california-town-bans-smoking-condos-apartments-share-walls-172256834.html

Anti Federalist
11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Says a devout Jew:

"You are not permitted to cook bacon any longer because the odor offends me."

Brian4Liberty
11-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Ridiculous. There is no health danger. This is purely about odor.

Brian4Liberty
11-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Says a devout Jew:

"You are not permitted to cook bacon any longer because the odor offends me."

Bacon Bacon Restaurant In San Francisco Forced To Close Because Of Smell

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/bacon-bacon-restaurant-san-francisco_n_3295234.html

Scrapmo
11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Bacon Bacon Restaurant In San Francisco Forced To Close Because Of Smell

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/bacon-bacon-restaurant-san-francisco_n_3295234.html

First they came for the bacon and I said nothing....

paulbot24
11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
"It depends on a building's construction," she said, "but it does affect the unit next door, with the negative health impacts due to smoke."

Wonderful. What about medicinal marijuana users? This whole thing is ridiculous, but I am curious....did they specify it is just cigarettes? Now we'll hear about neighbors calling the police because they thought they saw somebody smoking in their house and getting SWAT teamed for legally using their product.....Then again, how will that be different than any of the other days before this law.

aGameOfThrones
Thou shalt not fart near walls, nay, thou shalt not fart at all. "It doesn't matter if it's owner-occupied or renter-occupied. We didn't want to discriminate between farts. The distinguishing feature is the shared wall."

DamianTV
ANY excuse to get their "foot in the door".

Next, they'll want to put Cameras in these peoples homes that share walls to make sure no one smokes. Its not about Smoking, its about Control, and Control is enabled by getting a "foot in the door".

Also coming soon:

Camera in your Shower in case you slip and fall, for your Safety.

Camera in your Bathroom to make sure you obey Daily Flossing Laws, again, for your Safety.

Camera in your Television to make sure you watch MSM and Ads and dont watch anything considered Unsafe for you or your children to watch, again, for your Safety.

Camera in your Kitchen to make sure you dont eat Unhealthy. Of course, Unhealthy would be no different than what passes as "Food" in Skools, like requiring Ritz Crackers. For your Safety.

Camera in every room in your house, for your Safety.

... and finally ...

Biometric GPS RFID Chip implanted to make sure you do not engage in ANY behavior that is deemed "Inappropriate" by Govt. For your Safety.

---

Smoking is yet another enabler from Luke Warm Tyranny to Hot Tyranny.

NativeOne
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
First they came for the bacon and I said nothing....

Then they came for the 32 oz big jug soda's and i did nothing....

CaseyJones
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DueFluct1k0/TWE3E9iHsvI/AAAAAAAAAVU/l-9HcaGH1Fs/s1600/nasal_ranger.jpg

Anti Federalist
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DueFluct1k0/TWE3E9iHsvI/AAAAAAAAAVU/l-9HcaGH1Fs/s1600/nasal_ranger.jpg
Needs a badge, black outfit and an MP5.

CaseyJones
11-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Needs a badge, black outfit and an MP5.

oh wait were you still gone when this happened?

[edit] http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?433066-Investigators-Use-Nasal-Ranger-Smelloscope-To-Help-Crackdown-On-Pot-Smokers

tod evans
11-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Expect this to continue across the land until people physically drag the authoritarians into the streets and divest them of their dignity and power.

There's no amount of voting or regulating that'll fix this, the choice is simply put up with it or don't.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Expect this to continue across the land until people physically drag the authoritarians into the streets and divest them of their dignity and power.

There's no amount of voting or regulating that'll fix this, the choice is simply put up with it or don't.

And there you have it.

Oh, and what they have planned for us in the future is quite a bit worse.

So consider that, people, when you choose "put up with it".

aGameOfThrones
11-22-2013, 08:10 AM
And there you have it.

Oh, and what they have planned for us in the future is quite a bit worse.

So consider that, people, when you choose "put up with it".

and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

Schifference
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a brother that owns his own home. Guy smokes constantly. Walk into his home and a cloud of smoke escapes as the door opens. He has burn holes in all his clothes and his recliner and the floor all around his recliner. It is very difficult to visit him. I question his longevity. I fear he will burn down his home from falling asleep while smoking. The home is a two family. He has renters upstairs. One of the renters is also a heavy smoker. I would not want to purchase a nice condo or townhome and get sandwiched between two heavy smokers. I am not saying I agree with the law but I don't like smelling constant smoke. Not everybody has the ability to own a single family private dwelling. I am glad that when I go to a restaurant today that I don't have to deal with all the smoke. Should a private owner be able to make his restaurant or bar a smoking facility? By All Means Yes! But years ago people lit up everywhere without any consideration for the non smoker. I feel if people want to smoke fine by me but when it affects me I don't like it. BTW I know my brother will never stop smoking. Cost of smokes nearly $10 a pack. He doesn't make the kind of money he used to. A couple of years ago I purchased him an electric rolling machine a couple pounds of tobacco and some tubes to get him going. He is the kind of guy that wouldn't start an endeavor like that from hints or information. I really don't care if he smokes. On rare occasion he might ask to borrow my truck. I stipulate please don't smoke in it. Anyway I don't support legislation but don't want anyone else's smoke in my living space.

Origanalist
11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
ANY excuse to get their "foot in the door".

Next, they'll want to put Cameras in these peoples homes that share walls to make sure no one smokes. Its not about Smoking, its about Control, and Control is enabled by getting a "foot in the door".

Also coming soon:

Camera in your Shower in case you slip and fall, for your Safety.

Camera in your Bathroom to make sure you obey Daily Flossing Laws, again, for your Safety.

Camera in your Television to make sure you watch MSM and Ads and dont watch anything considered Unsafe for you or your children to watch, again, for your Safety.

Camera in your Kitchen to make sure you dont eat Unhealthy. Of course, Unhealthy would be no different than what passes as "Food" in Skools, like requiring Ritz Crackers. For your Safety.

Camera in every room in your house, for your Safety.

... and finally ...

Biometric GPS RFID Chip implanted to make sure you do not engage in ANY behavior that is deemed "Inappropriate" by Govt. For your Safety.

---

Smoking is yet another enabler from Luke Warm Tyranny to Hot Tyranny.

It's for our own good.

Origanalist
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
I lived in and near that town for a while quite some time ago. Can't say as I'm surprised. The problem is shit like this spreads like a disease.

tod evans
11-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Smoking Nazis are as bad or worse than drug/booze Nazis..

Mind your own business whiners!

Cap
11-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Fart-free zones coming soon. Hence free-fart zones to be designated. I'm surprised Bloomberg hasn't moved on this.

pcosmar
11-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Yet another good reason to get out of the cities.
This should not be a law.

DamianTV
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Smoking Nazis are as bad or worse than drug/booze Nazis..

Mind your own business whiners!

Anyone remember that Top 5 Conspiracy Theories that are Real video? Anyone remember that in said video, state of NY was poisoning ALL alcohol during Prohibition? Anyone thing that Mayor Doomberg / Banberg / Doomban wouldn't do the exact same thing with Tobacco? Many additives are "required by law".

kcchiefs6465
07-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Bump for recent thread.